PDA

View Full Version : Great article promoting swimming for (OMG!) Weight Loss

Celestial
February 15th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Swimming, discipline, passion helped man lose 100 pounds By Leslia Barker Garcia

DALLAS — Every big decision made, every change tackled, every goal met, begins with a revelation. Harry Chapman’s was waking up one morning and realizing his pants really were size 44.

That led him to do — well, what few people, especially those 100 pounds overweight, would even consider.

He put on a swimsuit.

Then he went to the Southern Methodist University pool and got in the water with dozens of lap-swimming strangers.

“I was completely out of place,” he says now.

===================
Read full article here:
http://www.dallasnews.com/health/weight-loss/headlines/20110207-swimming-discipline-helped-dallas-man-lose-nearly-100-pounds-.ece

orca1946
February 15th, 2011, 07:37 PM
The hardest step is that 1st one. Good for him & any other person that will take up the challenge to get more healthy.

chowmi
February 15th, 2011, 10:47 PM
It is a GREAT article! It was in the Dallas Morning News print, on the front cover of the Guide section, full across the front with color pix and continued on inside page with another pix for a bit over 1/4 of that page.

Here is a really funny story!!!!

I've seen Harry at Sunday workouts, didn't really know him very well. the funny thing is - I remember meeting him when he first started swimming. If you saw the article, you'd know they insert a "before" pix of him. But we swim different workouts, so I probably only saw him periodically but didn't realize it! I recognized him from the inset picture, but not as the slim Harry of today! I always thought that guy (larger version!) just never came back!

TheCaveman
February 15th, 2011, 11:05 PM
This is an inspirational story and eerily familiar. Now I'm REALLY regretting those three pieces of pizza for dinner...okay and four chicken wings.

That Guy
February 16th, 2011, 12:32 AM
I always thought that guy (larger version!) just never came back!

what is this i don't even

bzaks1424
February 16th, 2011, 11:48 AM
That's seriously awesome! I hope to someday meet him and congratulate him. That 100 pound mark is amazing!! Even I could only drop 70.

harryc
February 16th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I always thought that guy (larger version!) just never came back!

It was great to see you Sunday at SMU and to hear that vignette from you in person. And really, the "larger version" is never coming back. I hope the article will inspire others to swim, the losing weight part is a good attention getter, but swimming is such a great sport that all body types and ages can do.