PDA

View Full Version : NEW Places to Swim!

ALM
February 16th, 2011, 05:16 PM
BIG news... After a lot of work, the USMS Places to Swim listings are now geocoded. :thewave:

What does this mean? You can now go to the main Places to Swim (http://www.usms.org/placswim/) page, enter your zip code, and get a Google map showing all of the nearby Places to Swim listings.

If you don't see your pool in the results, please add a listing for it.

Places to Swim can be found by going to www.usms.org, clicking the blue "Local Programs" tab across the top of the page, then selecting "Places to Swim."

pwb
February 16th, 2011, 05:33 PM
BIG news... After a lot of work, the USMS Places to Swim listings are now geocoded. :thewave:

What does this mean? You can now go to the main Places to Swim (http://www.usms.org/placswim/) page, enter your zip code, and get a Google map showing all of the nearby Places to Swim listings.The life of a traveling swimmer just got way better. Thanks! Awesome.

Chris Stevenson
February 16th, 2011, 05:42 PM
So cool! Thank your hubby for me, if this was his doing.

ALM
February 16th, 2011, 05:43 PM
So cool! Thank your hubby for me, if this was his doing.

It was his doing, and he says "you're welcome."

Brian Stack
February 16th, 2011, 05:54 PM

What does this mean? You can now go to the main Places to Swim (http://www.usms.org/placswim/) page, enter your zip code, and get a Google map showing all of the nearby Places to Swim listings.

If you don't see your pool in the results, please add a listing for it.

Places to Swim can be found by going to www.usms.org (http://www.usms.org), clicking the blue "Local Programs" tab across the top of the page, then selecting "Places to Swim."

I searched my home zip code and only public pools and private clubs show up. No mention of the numerous USMS affiliated programs in the Oakland /Berkeley area. Is the list intended to leave out USMS affiliates?
How can we add a listing?

ALM
February 16th, 2011, 06:00 PM
I searched my home zip code and only public pools and private clubs show up. No mention of the numerous USMS affiliated programs in the Oakland /Berkeley area. Is the list intended to leave out USMS affiliates?

At the top of the results list, you will see a sentence that reads:
"Is your pool not listed? Add a new listing (http://www.usms.org/placswim/placswimadd.php) for it now." Just click that link.

Also, at the top of the page in the left-hand column, under the "In This Section" heading, is a link that you can click to add a listing.

If you renewed your club's registration online for 2011, you were also provided the opportunity to update your Places to Swim listing as the last step of the registration process.

poolraat
February 16th, 2011, 06:01 PM

Like Brian I entered my home zip and nothing showed up. If you tell me how, I'll add the pool where I swim every day.

ALM
February 16th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Like Brian I entered my home zip and nothing showed up. If you tell me how, I'll add the pool where I swim every day.

At the top of the page, in the left-hand column, under the "In This Section" heading, just click "Add a Place to Swim."

poolraat
February 16th, 2011, 06:41 PM
At the top of the page, in the left-hand column, under the "In This Section" heading, just click "Add a Place to Swim."

Thanks!

swimmerb212
February 16th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Fantastic work! I'm looking forward to using it next time I need to swim outside of Poughkeepsie!

Is there any way to delete a listing? Or update an existing listing? Our pool is on there twice, but the second listing is dated.

THANKS!

ALM
February 16th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Is there any way to delete a listing? Or update an existing listing? Our pool is on there twice, but the second listing is dated.

Yes, within each listing (scroll down below the map) there are links to modify or delete the listing.

Just click "Modify this listing" or "Delete this listing."

couldbebetterfly
February 16th, 2011, 09:38 PM

I had the opposite - the masters clubs showed up, but other public pools didn't. Is it intended to show all pools in the area, or just ones with a USMS program? I'll happily add a couple of good public pools I know of, if the intention is to show all available places to swim.

ALM
February 16th, 2011, 09:48 PM
I had the opposite - the masters clubs showed up, but other public pools didn't. Is it intended to show all pools in the area, or just ones with a USMS program? I'll happily add a couple of good public pools I know of, if the intention is to show all available places to swim.

You can add any pool that you know of that offers lap lanes. Many times when our members are traveling they are just looking for a pool where they can squeeze in a solo workout.

aztimm
February 17th, 2011, 12:19 AM
You can add any pool that you know of that offers lap lanes. Many times when our members are traveling they are just looking for a pool where they can squeeze in a solo workout.

Do you want gym pools too? My gym allows drop-ins, for $10. None of the city or gym pools nearby me were listed, but I started adding.

Any chance of getting an iPhone app for this?

ALM
February 17th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Do you want gym pools too? My gym allows drop-ins, for $10. None of the city or gym pools nearby me were listed, but I started adding.

Yes, if it's a pool that would be available to a traveling Masters swimmer, add it. Actually, even if it's not you can still add it but put a note in the "other information" section that says something to the effect of "open to members only."

Any chance of getting an iPhone app for this?

USMS is looking into developing some smart phone apps and Places to Swim would be high on the list.

evmo
February 17th, 2011, 10:24 AM
BIG news... After a lot of work, the USMS Places to Swim listings are now geocoded.

This is a fantastic and long-needed feature. Thanks for the hard work. The key now is to promote it so people will keep it updated, accurate, and useful.

Bobinator
February 19th, 2011, 09:13 AM
This is very cool!!!!! In the past I've used the list of local swim clubs to find places to swim on my travels. This system in a bit more compact with less search time!
I'm going to sit down later this week-end and a couple pools to my area that were left out. If we all do this it should be a complete and usable list!!
Thanks Anna Lea and Jim!

ALM
February 23rd, 2011, 04:03 PM
We have received some updates to the Places to Swim listings but I believe there are still many more out there that need to be added or updated.

Please visit the main page:
http://www.usms.org/placswim/

Type in your zip code and hit the "Go!" button. If you see listings that need to be updated (or if listings are missing altogether), please submit them.

Anna Lea