PDA

View Full Version : to shave or not to shave & what to shave

orca1946
February 19th, 2011, 07:24 PM
O K ! ! Now in a world without long & upper body tech suits for guys , what do we shave? :worms:

Lump
February 19th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Like the old days, I put on a brief and all hair outside of it gets shaved.

fmracing
February 19th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Anything not covered by a suit. This includes the head.

Lump
February 19th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Anything not covered by a suit. This includes the head.

I was going to say....but my Avatar has that covered.

EJB190
February 19th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Well, in that you were supposed to shave whats underneath the tech suits, it should be all the same.

The last time I shaved myself (2009 HS state tournament), my electric razor broke before I had even started. Let's just say I didn't get a whole lot of sleep that night. I started with some scissors and a razor around 9:00 pm and finished around 1:30 am.

I would like to say that my perseverance paid off, I broke one of my PR's and I could rightfully brag to the girls that my legs were smoother than theirs.

fmracing
February 20th, 2011, 02:07 AM
I was going to say....but my Avatar has that covered.

Swim caps are for the non-hardcore :)

Maui Mike
February 20th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Eyebrows?
If you answered "Yes", proceed to next question.
Eyelashes?
Two yesses and you are certifiably Hardcore.

orca1946
February 20th, 2011, 01:00 PM
O K ! So after shaving - - any oils or speed lotions to go on?
They will not compress but might reduce friction a bit. :bolt:

fmracing
February 20th, 2011, 07:22 PM
O K ! So after shaving - - any oils or speed lotions to go on?
They will not compress but might reduce friction a bit. :bolt:

I used to do that, haven't since late 90's though.

ande
February 20th, 2011, 10:07 PM
If it's a big meet then
yes of course you shave Anything exposed
If it makes you slow it's got to go

O K ! ! Now in a world without long & upper body tech suits for guys , what do we shave? :worms:

knelson
February 21st, 2011, 12:28 AM
I usually shave to a few inches above the knee. I never shave my armpits. I figure clipping them is good enough.

orca1946
February 21st, 2011, 12:04 PM
My wife like to watch me shave my pits!:afraid:

pmccoy
February 21st, 2011, 12:15 PM
Perhaps a tougher question should be asked here:

Do you raid your wife's hair removal products? I'll confess that I have done so and I prefer it for bulk hair removal. It does leave some spots that still need shaving and beware of leaving it on too long... ouch!

knelson
February 21st, 2011, 12:18 PM
My wife keep telling me I should go to a waxing salon, but I'm suspicious. It seems to me the act of shaving--and not just hair removal--may have some effect.

Not to mention getting a Brazilian wax seems like going too far for a swim meet. :bolt:

pmccoy
February 21st, 2011, 12:42 PM
My wife keep telling me I should go to a waxing salon, but I'm suspicious. It seems to me the act of shaving--and not just hair removal--may have some effect.

Not to mention getting a Brazilian wax seems like going too far for a swim meet. :bolt:
Waxing... ouch! I think my jammers cover all the "Brazilian" areas. Have to admit though... the ladies have a lot more experience in this area than we do. Of course that's no reason to believe whatever they tell you. Your suspicion seems healthy.

__steve__
February 21st, 2011, 12:45 PM
Just found out shaving is a waste of time if you haven't trained enough.

orca1946
February 21st, 2011, 02:56 PM
So shaving is not tapering?:afraid::bump:

Rykno
February 22nd, 2011, 02:12 AM
eyelashes are covered by goggles, and I think my eyebrows are inclosed in the airbubble from my goggles.

but I shave anything visable outside my jammers, and trim everything visable with my briefs.

I've seen swimmers shave from the knee down, but then they have hair sticking out of their jammer....

Jimbosback
February 22nd, 2011, 12:59 PM
How about when to shave?

Most of my body hair is like #4 fishing wire. It takes me forever just to 'clean up' my torso. If I do it the night before, it's stubbly by morning. (My head does the same thing -- I can shave it smooth in the AM and have black sharkskin head by dinner.) I wouldn't want to get up at 4 to shave for a 6 AM warmup. I think I'm better off with the sleep.

We hardly ever shaved in HS. Most guys hardly had any hair anyway. So I have very little shaving experience. I am sure I have a ton of hairy drag though.

Who else is way too hairy, and what do you do?

nkfrench
February 22nd, 2011, 01:31 PM
This isn't one of my "problems" but I've seen some who just embrace their fuzziness and carve their school's logo in their back fur. :)

Allen Stark
February 23rd, 2011, 01:49 AM
As I have posted before I am pretty obsessional about shaving.I shave with a razor the night before and again with an electric razor in the morning.Then if I am swimming the next day I shave again that evening.Even though I wear a jammer I shave my upper leg as the hairs poke through th fabric.

analazy
February 23rd, 2011, 03:02 AM
Hate to shave! :afraid:Only knee to ankle, armpits, “zone” to use a high leg swimsuit at practice ! :)
Have received some unsympathetic remarks about not shaving the full leg but laziness surpasses any “exterior” opinion! :):D
A regular blade is just fine ! No waste of money:D

knelson
February 23rd, 2011, 10:30 AM
How about when to shave?

My advice is to clip is well as you can the night before the meet starts and then shave as close to your events as you can. Most pools don't like people shaving in the shower area, so this probably means shaving at home or your hotel room. For multi-day meets reshave each morning.

orca1946
February 23rd, 2011, 11:34 AM
Isn't that called a "man sweater" ??

Jimbosback
February 23rd, 2011, 11:51 AM
My advice is to clip is well as you can the night before the meet starts and then shave as close to your events as you can. Most pools don't like people shaving in the shower area, so this probably means shaving at home or your hotel room. For multi-day meets reshave each morning.

Looks like I need to incorporate a shaving plan into my training. :) and maybe get an electric.

Isn't that called a "man sweater" ??

If you mean me, my hairs are thick, but overall density isn't bad, so I don't think I have a sweater. My back hair is sparse. Tough on the razor, though.

This isn't one of my "problems" but I've seen some who just embrace their fuzziness and carve their school's logo in their back fur. :)

I might have enough on my chest to buzz in a Superman S. :afraid:

nkfrench
February 23rd, 2011, 03:57 PM
Looks like I need to incorporate a shaving plan into my training. :) and maybe get an electric.

If you mean me, my hairs are thick, but overall density isn't bad, so I don't think I have a sweater. My back hair is sparse. Tough on the razor, though.

I might have enough on my chest to buzz in a Superman S. :afraid:
Shaving at the pool/lockers is against many facility rules. They don't like razors left on the floor, bloody drips from nicks, etc. Hair on the floor mixed with soap scum is nasty to look at/step on and it clogs drains.

Electric Clippers for long hair first pass. Electric shaver where razor bumps aren't tolerable or for thick hair. Razor for areas where you want/need a close shave. Uh, you did train to make this worthwhile, right?

Any logos carved on the chest require you to enter at least one backstroke event. :)

orca1946
February 23rd, 2011, 05:21 PM
Hard training -check

lose 21 pounds - check

new suit - check

new cap - check

50 fly - 100 fly - 200 fly, 400 I M,1,650 free - :cane::cane::cane::cane: