PDA

View Full Version : Women not swimming the 1500 in the Olympics

havepoolwillswim
February 20th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Does anyone know why they don't compete in this event? Is there an official explanation?

Thanks

orca1946
February 20th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Is it the old - they can't swim that far without hurting themselves junk?:2cents:

jaadams1
February 21st, 2011, 01:52 AM
Is it the old - they can't swim that far without hurting themselves junk?:2cents:

I think that's the reason I should quit swimming distance freestyle, but instead still sign up for the race and swim them as distance fly, distance IM, or a combo of fly/free. :) It always turns a few heads... :banana:

Woofus B. Loofus
February 21st, 2011, 02:32 AM
Women have been competing at 1500m all over the world for a long time. Why the Olympics don't include the event, take a wild guess. Same reason the Winter Olympics doesn't want women doing nordic ski jumping.

The women's 1500m LC world record history is interesting. Janet Evans held the record for almost 20 years. Kate Ziegler finally broke it in '07 wearing a full-leg tech suit. The difference was 9.56 seconds, or .3186 seconds per length. Was the tech suit worth a third of a second over fifty meters? Gotta wonder.

arthur
February 21st, 2011, 03:16 AM
Women have been competing at 1500m all over the world for a long time. Why the Olympics don't include the event, take a wild guess. Same reason the Winter Olympics doesn't want women doing nordic ski jumping.

The women's 1500m LC world record history is interesting. Janet Evans held the record for alm t 20 years. Kate Ziegler finally broke it in '07 wearing a full-leg tech suit. The difference was 9.56 seconds, or .3186 seconds per length. Was the tech suit worth a third of a second over fifty meters? Gotta wonder.
This is a can of worms that maybe I shouldn't touch but the women's 1500m free is very different than women's ski jumping. Women's ski jumping wasn't allowed in the 2010 Olympics because it didn't meet the minimum requirements. The first world championships wasn't until 2009 and to even be considered the IOC rules required that at least 2 world championships to have taken place. I want to see women's ski jumping in the olympics but you have to follow the rules and not just sue to get what you want.

The women's 1500m freestyle should already be in the olympics.

Ken Classen
February 21st, 2011, 11:04 AM
The women's 1500m freestyle should already be in the olympics.

That it isn't, is certainly an anachronism. They do compete in the Olympic 10K openwater swim and women runners do the full marathon. :confused:

knelson
February 21st, 2011, 11:08 AM
At this point it's purely historical. Not that that's a great reason. The swimming schedule has evolved over the years. It's high time they synchronized the men's and women's programs. While they're at it they can add a 4x50 free relay. :)

Ken Classen
February 21st, 2011, 11:39 AM
While they're at it they can add a 4x50 free relay. :)

Let's add a 4x100 Coed medley relay, now that would be a fun thing to watch at the Olympic level.

orca1946
February 21st, 2011, 11:56 AM
WOW ! I never thought of co-ed. What a good idea!:applaud:

knelson
February 21st, 2011, 12:15 PM
A mixed relay would be a lot of fun to watch and would bring lots of attention to the sport. However, I doubt the fuddy-duddies at the IOC would even consider it. Maybe some day...

couldbebetterfly
February 21st, 2011, 01:42 PM
Let's add a 4x100 Coed medley relay, now that would be a fun thing to watch at the Olympic level.

That'd definitely be fun to watch!

I thought the rationale behind not having a 1500m for the women was that as far as the skill set and endurance etc required to swim it well, it was too similar to the 800 to bother with. I think I read that somewhere, but have no idea where:dunno:. From my (limited) experience they do feel much more similar to swim than going from a 200m to a 400m.

200free
February 21st, 2011, 01:43 PM
A mixed relay would be a lot of fun to watch and would bring lots of attention to the sport. However, I doubt the fuddy-duddies at the IOC would even consider it.

They swam a mixed relay at the Australia vs. USA Dual In The Pool a few years ago. Libby Trickett broke the world record leading off the relay swimming right next to Michael Phelps. Unfortunately FINA ruled the record did not count because she was racing in a mixed relay right which was not a legitimate FINA event.

swimmerb212
February 21st, 2011, 02:28 PM
At this point it's purely historical. Not that that's a great reason. The swimming schedule has evolved over the years. It's high time they synchronized the men's and women's programs. While they're at it they can add a 4x50 free relay. :)

1) My :2cents: on the topic at hand: USMS has 90+ year old female swimmers participating in the 1500, I think the Olympians can handle it. I think the only reason we haven't seen it yet is that it's really hard to change anything Olympic.

2) That one word in your post made me yearn for some equality for the men. Why can't they have synchronized swimming?

I suppose this video proves why: YouTube - Male Duo Synchronized Swimming Championship Cruzy France Winners

It's only 1/10 as fun as Martin Short and Harry Shearer.

swim86
July 20th, 2011, 04:54 PM
A mixed relay would be a lot of fun to watch and would bring lots of attention to the sport. However, I doubt the fuddy-duddies at the IOC would even consider it. Maybe some day...
Maybe some day, That'd be very interesting.

selkie
July 20th, 2011, 07:43 PM
By the time FINA wanted the women's 1500M and men's 800M in the Olympic program, the IOC was at a point where they felt like they had enough swim events and swimmers invited to the Olympics and didn't see the need for more swim events when they could be adding trampolining instead. (Women's water polo only really got added in the 90s in order to help get a more even gender balance at the Games)

FINA has tried to get the 1500/800 and the stroke 50s added to the Olympic program for about the past three Games, but the feedback from the IOC seems to be that FINA should consider it a win that they've been allowed to add the open water 10K and synchronized diving and forget about the other pool events until 2020ish.

Maui Mike
July 20th, 2011, 08:22 PM

On a too quick first read I thought you were advocating men's synchronized swimming ---

SLOmmafan
July 21st, 2011, 04:28 PM
Same reason they have not added the 50M swim of every stroke other then free. In all truth I think the 50's being added would generate excitement about swimming (from a spectator standpoint). Everybody loves the split-second finishes, and the blazing fast pace.

selkie
July 21st, 2011, 05:46 PM
I actually rather hate watching the 50s because I don't find much fun in seeing splash...splash...splash and then having to wait for the scoreboard to come up in order to find out who won rather than seeing it with the naked eye. I find the track & field 100M dash rather boring for the same reason.

knelson
July 21st, 2011, 06:01 PM
I agree. I just don't find the 50s that interesting, either.

pwb
July 21st, 2011, 06:09 PM
Everybody loves the split-second finishes, and the blazing fast pace.No, they don't. The 50 free is an okay race to fill time between some real swimming, but ultimately unsatisfying in a "quickie" kind of way -- they do the job, but are over so soon they leave you a bit empty and wanting more.

I can understand why some unimaginative people might find the 1500 boring, but, for crying out loud, people watch multi-hour soccer games / football games / baseball games, etc. You really don't have the attention span to watch 14.5 minutes of beautiful strokes and strategy? That's lame.

dadis
July 22nd, 2011, 10:48 AM
Having the women and men swim the same events is the right thing to do. So add the 1500 for the women, add the 800 for men, and more 50s all around for everyone. That would add 2 additional days of swimming and lots of $$$ for the IOC and host country. The swim event are always sold out.

What's the problem here?

aztimm
July 22nd, 2011, 04:01 PM
Having the women and men swim the same events is the right thing to do. So add the 1500 for the women, add the 800 for men, and more 50s all around for everyone. That would add 2 additional days of swimming and lots of $$$ for the IOC and host country. The swim event are always sold out.

What's the problem here?

While you're at it, why not add in running events that are widely contested world-wide, but not represented at the Olympics? Other than the marathon, there are no stand-alone other off-track running events. Why not add the 5k, 10k, and the half marathon? You can probably squeeze them all into a day ;)

No new events have been added to the men's track & field lineup since 1952. How many swimming events have been added since?

lefty
July 22nd, 2011, 04:16 PM
For the men: The Fly, Back, and Breast results from Beijing were very similiar from the 100 to the 200. The 200 IM and 400 IM were exactly the same.

For women, the results were farily mixed in the 100 and 200 strokes but again the 200 and 400 IM were almost exactly the same (1st = Rice, 2nd = Coventry, Hoff got 3rd in the 400 and 4th in the 200).

Interestingly, the freestyle events were quite varied. Even the 50 and 100 were quite different.

I think it would be better if we swam 50s and 200s of the strokes, NOT 100s and 200s. Drop the 200 IM altogether and add in a sprint medley relay.

art_z
July 25th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I'd like to see a 4x200 medley relay!