PDA

View Full Version : What things have you been forced to give up to swim?

Herb
February 20th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Since most of us have limited time we have had to make some sacrifices. For me it is: Golf and a clean house.

I love golf but haven't played at all in two years and maybe 10 times in the last seven. My wife and I both work full time and have two small children, so it's hard for me to justify spending six hours on a weekend to play golf.

It stresses me out to have a messy house but there just isn't any time in the day, unless I gave up the remainder of my free time at the end of the night but I'm too exhausted and stressed. I'll watch the game (the one thing I haven't given up - thank god for the DVR!) and leave dirty dishes in the sink. Actually not sure if I would have more energy for this if I didn't swim but I would surely have more time.

Celestial
February 20th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Sleep. I can swim at lunch twice a week, but my time then is extremely limited & I usually am lucky to get in a 3000 - so I have to make it up on the other days of the week by going to the pool at 5:30am. Now it doesn't seem like such a sacrifice, because when 4:55 rolls around, bing! I'm awake! and I truly love how I feel during & after my swim.

orca1946
February 20th, 2011, 07:08 PM
For all of swim season - no Popeyes chicken :badday::bolt:

Thrashing Slug
February 20th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Sleep. Masters practice is at 5:30 AM.

pmccoy
February 20th, 2011, 07:36 PM
For me, it's more of what do I get back because I swim. Two years ago, I was spending a day or two a month in bed with back pain from arthritis. I couldn't pick up my children for fear it would be the tweak that threw my back out yet again. The arthritis never goes away but since swimming regularly about 90 minutes a day, the pain is mostly gone. I can lift heavy objects (and squirming children) without fear of ending up in bed for the rest of the day. No doubt, I'm sleepy at 9:00 PM because I wake up at 4:45 AM to get to the pool when it opens. That doesn't mix well with my wife who is a night owl. However, the alternative was far worse.

I did sacrifice one thing before my last meet. I decided to grow my nails out in hopes it would give me a little extra speed. That made it difficult to play guitar until I trimmed them again. So, for about two weeks I put the guitar down. I don't think I'll be doing that again.

Celestial
February 20th, 2011, 07:53 PM
For me, it's more of what do I get back because I swim. Two years ago, I was spending a day or two a month in bed with back pain from arthritis. I couldn't pick up my children for fear it would be the tweak that threw my back out yet again. The arthritis never goes away but since swimming regularly about 90 minutes a day, the pain is mostly gone. I can lift heavy objects (and squirming children) without fear of ending up in bed for the rest of the day.

Good for you!!

I did sacrifice one thing before my last meet. I decided to grow my nails out in hopes it would give me a little extra speed. That made it difficult to play guitar until I trimmed them again. So, for about two weeks I put the guitar down. I don't think I'll be doing that again.

This one is funny to me - my son says he grows his nails out to play
guitar!

pmccoy
February 20th, 2011, 08:49 PM
This one is funny to me - my son says he grows his nails out to play
guitar!
Everyone has their own style I guess. I can pick ok but I have a lot of trouble keeping my fingers on the frets with long nails. In the last couple weeks, I've also lost some of my callouses. Hate having to rebuild them since it hurts to play without them.

fmracing
February 20th, 2011, 09:32 PM
High school football. It was the season before swim season and I couldn't risk injury. Swimming paid for college for me so it was way more important to be healthy for that than to screw around with football. Still can't help but wonder what it would've been like making a big hit as a linebacker or catch a game winning td. :)

Lump
February 20th, 2011, 09:56 PM
I would say mostly sleep and probably being in a better mood sometimes as it wears me out and can make me a bit grumpy being tired or sore.

gigi
February 20th, 2011, 10:14 PM
I don't think I've given up anything...healthy hair maybe....I never got a tattoo because I didn't want to be out of the water for the length of time it takes to have it properly set (not much of a sacrifice!)...and I get up at 5am anyway to get my behind to work on time, so swimming doesn't cost me any sleep.
I haven't given up a thing, really.

new
February 20th, 2011, 10:14 PM
I can't eat 2 and a half ours before getting in the pool, so that's very much all I give up :), I would rather being in the pool than doing many other things so I don't feel life anything is really sacrified during that short time

EJB190
February 20th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Swimming takes away a lot of time I could spend skiing in the winter. That's the only big thing swimming forces me to give up.

That Guy
February 20th, 2011, 11:27 PM
triathlon

philoswimmer
February 21st, 2011, 12:33 AM
Since my working schedule is somewhat flexible, work time. Hmm, maybe that's a good thing.

pwb
February 21st, 2011, 12:42 AM
I guess I could say sleep like others have, but, were I in a mood to create something out of nothing, I could just as easily blame my job or my kids forcing me to have to get up early (sacrificing sleep) to work out early in the morning! I don't see swimming as causing me to sacrifice anything; on the contrary, the list of benefits it provides me is enormous.

analazy
February 21st, 2011, 02:12 AM
Extra money:) spend all the money left on swimming trips after food and shelter are paid :applaud::cheerleader:

no200fly
February 21st, 2011, 08:01 PM
20 pounds, lack of energy, clothes that are too big for me now

swimshark
February 21st, 2011, 08:18 PM
20 pounds, lack of energy, clothes that are too big for me now

I can relate. I'm in search of all new clothes this season. Seems I've lost weight and none of my pants fit me now.

I give up tv watching time alone with my husband. I get up at 4am three mornings a week so I go to bed the night before at 8pm. But at 6:10, when practice is all over, it's so worth it.

dsyphers
February 22nd, 2011, 04:02 PM
One of the things I've had to give up as a result of swimming is having working neural synapses in my brain for about two hours after workouts. My mind is slower than molasses during this period (and you can forget recall on people's names), but then it magically clears up and returns to its usual state after that recovery period. I just have to make sure I don't attempt any complicated physics during recovery.:doh:

TRYM_Swimmer
February 22nd, 2011, 04:42 PM
High school football. It was the season before swim season and I couldn't risk injury. Swimming paid for college for me so it was way more important to be healthy for that than to screw around with football. Still can't help but wonder what it would've been like making a big hit as a linebacker or catch a game winning td. :)

Looking at the health of ex-football players, count yourself lucky. I also wanted to play in my youth, but I was this skinny kid who would have been broken in two. Luckily I found swimming and have no major problems through age 65.

Allen Stark
February 25th, 2011, 02:10 AM
Skiing(too dangerous on my knees).

wnt2bfst
February 26th, 2011, 11:08 PM
where do i begin! ear drum, shoulder, dog walking and evenings with the wife.( would only be tv time) slacking on my scout duties and gym time with weights.

but i won't give up on my swim time!!

FireRox21
February 27th, 2011, 07:33 AM
I have given up walking the dog, having a clean house, and having all of my files/receipts organized. I spend two hours in the water daily and when I get home I have to get everyone fed/put to bed and clean up the mess from dinner. I have given up spending time with my fiance as well. He goes to bed at 7pm to be at work at 3am, so I really don't get to talk to him or watch TV, etc.

But, my family knows that I will never give up my swim time. It keeps me healthy, mentally and physically and I absolutely love coming home and telling my honey all about my workout!!! It's a rush to me :)

KevinS
February 28th, 2011, 10:36 AM
For all of swim season - no Popeyes chicken :badday::bolt:

I gave up all fried things, and cheeseburgers.....I just had a Homer Simpson moment...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....Cchhheeeeseebuurgerrrr r..

I feel much better though.