PDA

View Full Version : Unfinished business in the pool??

swim2011
February 20th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Hi everybody,

I am a new contributor to the forum, though I have been reading the threads here for a long time.

I am interested to hear stories from masters swimmers who are competing because of 'unfinished business' from their high school swimming days/college swimming days.etc

I swam in college and graduated in 2006. The college was D1 but one of the slower conferences. I was not close to making NCAA's. I have swam a little bit of masters on and off since then. It's been on my mind for quite a while but recently I realized how much 'unresolved swimming regrets' I have. I have decided to up my training and see what I can do.

So I guess my question is, for all of you who have returned feeling like you have some gas left in the tank, how has your experience been? Any words of advice or wisdom to share? And the ultimate question, have you managed to exorcise any of those swim demons by returning?

Thanks in advance for reading this.

Lump
February 20th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Hi everybody,

I am a new contributor to the forum, though I have been reading the threads here for a long time.

I am interested to hear stories from masters swimmers who are competing because of 'unfinished business' from their high school swimming days/college swimming days.etc

I swam in college and graduated in 2006. The college was D1 but one of the slower conferences. I was not close to making NCAA's. I have swam a little bit of masters on and off since then. It's been on my mind for quite a while but recently I realized how much 'unresolved swimming regrets' I have. I have decided to up my training and see what I can do.

So I guess my question is, for all of you who have returned feeling like you have some gas left in the tank, how has your experience been? Any words of advice or wisdom to share? And the ultimate question, have you managed to exorcise any of those swim demons by returning?

Thanks in advance for reading this.

Welcome to the forums!

I swam D1 as well and my quick,short advice is separate the two (Masters and previous swimming) as far as times, expectations, etc UNLESS you can train like you did back then. Otherwise, I think you'll be frustrated.

For me, Masters is about pushing myself for me, no other reason. Nothing to prove. With 17 years out of the pool between college and Masters its quite simple to separate my current and previous swimming lives as well. Its now about health, pushing myself from within (I train alone as well so that alone is a HUGE challenge), setting goals, making friends, competition.

As you get older the health benefits will probably become a bigger factor and all the other stuff just added benefits.

Tri-ingToTurn40
February 20th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Totally.

I didn't start swimming until my senior year of high school. Of course the coaches didn't put too much development effort into me.

I swam part of a season my first year in college. Had to quit due to health issues (lost too much weight w/o my mom's cooking).

I have always wondered what I really would have been capable of...

That Guy
February 20th, 2011, 11:21 PM
No unfinished business here. I was a D1 mid-major swimmer as well but I'm coming at this from the opposite direction. I need to exercise to stay healthy. I need motivation to exercise. Masters swimming provides motivation in various ways. (Meets are fun, racing is fun, gotta make the top ten, gotta break that record, gotta hit that next milestone in Go The Distance, etc) Smilies are unrelated: :dinner::duel::eeew::ohyeah::bouncing:

philoswimmer
February 21st, 2011, 12:30 AM
My unfinished business is to exorcise my demons. Still working on that.

havepoolwillswim
February 21st, 2011, 02:39 AM
Awesome topic and so relevant to me. I'm having fun now as a masters swimmer. I didn't have a lot of fun when I swam as a kid which became a huge regret as an adult. I took it all way too seriously growing up. By the time I was a young adult, I had had enough with the crazy mega yardage. I didn't go near a pool for years.

Since then, I've done a 180. My playful approach/perspective to workouts and the occasional meet is the approach I wish had when I was a kid- that's my unfinished business.

orca1946
February 21st, 2011, 12:01 PM
As I turn 65 this April, I can tell you each year is different from the last!
Whether you swam fast or not at all, Masters swimming is a way to keep in shape ,meet people & push yourself all that you want!
I learned to swim in the waves of Lake Michigan by the dunes & have been in the lakes & pools all over since!

ElaineK
February 21st, 2011, 01:03 PM
:ohyeah:

Hey, That Guy, I LOVE this Smilie! I think it's one of my new favorites!

For me, I was just a decent high school swimmer who didn't continue swimming in college. I stayed in shape over the years, but didn't have convenient access to a pool, so swimming wasn't part of my routine. The home gym (kayak machine, treadmill, and recumbent bike) was a lot more convenient!

After major shoulder surgery for work-related repetitive stress injury, my surgeon assured me I could go back to swimming. So, after moving to a community with an indoor pool 1 mile from my house, I decided to give it a try. After six months of swimming for fitness, I decided I needed and wanted something more, so I joined U.S.MS. Never did I think I would be able to compete again, but I'm back at it, 32 years after my high school competition ended. And, much to my surgeon's surprise, I'm even swimming fly again, pain free.

The best part about competitive swimming, now, is having access to tools not available to me, in 1979: YouTube swim videos, digital video to check my own stroke flaws, and USMS forums to learn about all aspects of swimming. And, I get to choose my own events at swim meets! :banana: Also, it helps tremendously getting some part-time coaching from a good coach. My high school coach never taught me one thing about breaststroke; I had to figure it out for myself. My senior year, we learned why, when we threw Coach into the pool, after beating our rivals; she didn't know how to swim! She panicked and we had to pull her out of the pool. Then, she admitted she didn't know how to swim and wasn't really a swim coach; she was the only available PE teacher to take on the responsibility of "coaching" our team. :afraid:

couldbebetterfly
February 21st, 2011, 01:36 PM
Hmmmm good question - I often find myself in the land of "what if?" with my swimming.

I swam at a semi-competitive club as a kid (in the UK), never made a district qualifying time let alone a national one, but was top of our very much B-grade leagues. Went to college and basically gave it up as I was then going to be relegated to the reecreational-only lane. The competitive squad was made up of those who had swum daily in the "big leagues".

Eight years later I started masters having put on a bit of weight and got really unfit. Anyway, I got the competition bug back, met some great people who convinced me I was actually pretty good. We had a great coach and at the ripe old age of 30 I lucked out and won a national gold for my 800 free just 9 months after having my 1st baby. The following year I set 4 best ever freestyle times in the 200,400,800 and 1500. Since then I have had another baby and moved to the US, and only got back into competing last summer when my oldest was swimming summer league.

I train on my own right now, but once my youngest is in school I'll likely join a team. So I often wonder what if I had swum with the big leagues as a kid and had "proper" training? would I still enjoy it now? would I be trying for records instead of the top 10 on unpopular events? Or would I have been burned out and not got back in the water?

So yes - I guess I still have a lot of unfinished business :laugh2:. Here's some of my "unfinished business" I hope to complete in the next 3 or so years.....

To break 1.00 for 100 SCY free
To break 6.00 on a 500 yd free
To swim a 400 IM in competition
To swim 200 fly again

If I don't have a goal, I'm not motivated to swim as hard in the pool. :D

gdanner
February 21st, 2011, 01:39 PM
...but recently I realized how much 'unresolved swimming regrets' I have. I have decided to up my training and see what I can do.

Great question. I've thought about this type of thing for years. I know I gave it 100% in college, but I think it is pretty common to wonder what you could have done if you went to a different college, swam with a different club team (either before college or over the summer), and so on. There were goals I never reached, but I think it is human nature to always want to make it to that next level. So even though I would definitely say "yes, I have unfinished business," that's not why I swim. I swim because it's fun :)

nkfrench
February 21st, 2011, 01:42 PM
Yes, I had unfinished business. Started swim team age 15 (Jr in HS) when I was old enough to use parttime job money to buy swimsuits, gear and training fees and when I could provide my own transportation to practice. Parents did not want me to swim on a team. HS had a girls team my Sr year; I was a walk-on in college 2 years. There was no year-round program in my area and when college scholarships started being offered my soph year the sport suddenly got faster beyond my improvement rate. It left me no place to go for several years other than casual public lap swim.

HS season was Sep to first week of Nov.
In college, we probably swam 15,000y a week with no drylands, Sep to Feb.
Summer was maybe 2 months in a SCY pool, LC pool not available.

I joined USMS age ~35 when I blew out a knee and could no longer participate in most of the rec sports I was enjoying. Did pretty well on a run for lifetime best swim times but unfortunately didn't have my college times recorded and back then we swam 400y free not 500y free.

Still wondering if I really gave it my best shot; but age 54 I'm not even close the physical condition nor times I had 15 years ago.

That Guy
February 21st, 2011, 01:53 PM
Hey, That Guy, I LOVE this Smilie! I think it's one of my new favorites!

I think the forum elves added it with Jazz Hands in mind. :) But it might be a while before we get to use it since he doesn't post often.

The best part about competitive swimming, now, is having access to tools not available to me, in 1979: YouTube swim videos, digital video to check my own stroke flaws, and USMS forums to learn about all aspects of swimming.

Youtube in particular has really changed things for the better. Recently I had the notion to switch from trying to emulate Soni's breaststroke to trying to emulate Hansen. (Specifically his wider pulling.) So right then, while that half-formed idea was still stewing in my head, I watched Hansen on Youtube and decided that the idea wasn't a bad one. Next practice I tried to imitate what he was doing, and I made immediate improvement! 20 years ago, how hard would it have been to find underwater video of Hansen's breaststroke? Or Soni's, for that matter?

My high school coach never taught me one thing about breaststroke; I had to figure it out for myself. My senior year, we learned why, when we threw Coach into the pool, after beating our rivals; she didn't know how to swim! She panicked and we had to pull her out of the pool. Then, she admitted she didn't know how to swim and wasn't really a swim coach; she was the only available PE teacher to take on the responsibility of "coaching" our team. :afraid:

Whoa, that's crazy! :drowning:

Speedo
February 21st, 2011, 02:08 PM
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][COLOR=#000000]

Whoa, that's crazy! :drowning:That is a classic story. And thank you, TG, for bringing the story to my attention- I just realized that I skip over the blue Justin Bieber font (subconsciously- path of least resistance thing), and saw it for the first time in your post.

That Guy
February 21st, 2011, 02:15 PM
That is a classic story. And thank you, TG, for bringing the story to my attention- I just realized that I skip over the blue Justin Bieber font (subconsciously- path of least resistance thing), and saw it for the first time in your post.

On that subject, I didn't do anything to change Elaine's font. I guess the way that I multi-quoted her single post caused the second and third parts to return to the defaults. Not intended! :dunno:

ElaineK
February 21st, 2011, 03:15 PM
I just realized that I skip over the blue Justin Bieber font

:lmao:

The Fortress
February 21st, 2011, 04:16 PM
No unfinished business here ... I'm coming at this from the opposite direction. I need to exercise to stay healthy. I need motivation to exercise. Masters swimming provides motivation in various ways. (Meets are fun, racing is fun, gotta make the top ten, gotta break that record, gotta hit that next milestone in Go The Distance, etc)

Same here. I don't need motivation to exercise, but I do need motivation to swim. My 24 year break means I never look back at times from my youth and always look forward. Plenty of goals to set here in masters and plenty of competition and racing. Plus, I would never want to go back to the yardage drudgery from my youth that made me avoid the pool for decades. I've enjoyed reinventing myself as a drop dead sprinter.

TG, Jazz would rather die than use a smilie. He barely uses punctuation and would be appalled by the Justin Bieber font.

philoswimmer
February 21st, 2011, 04:23 PM
There are a lot of good insights in this thread. I guess I have been so fixated on times recently that I have forgotten about all the other great dimensions of masters swimming - health, fitness, new milestones, competitions, friends.etc.

I find it pretty easy to think about 'what if' this happened or that happened, or I did this, or I did that and I know that goes beyond the pool.

Still, dwelling never does any good so thanks everybody for sharing your perspectives and giving me food for thought.

Yeah, I've got a lot of those "what ifs" myself and I try not to think about them because there is nothing I can do about them now. As you say, dwelling doesn't do any good.

But I am trying to swim smarter, train smarter, and race smarter than I used to. I think that sort of looking back can be productive.

That Guy
February 21st, 2011, 04:52 PM
TG, Jazz would rather die than use a smilie. He barely uses punctuation and would be appalled by the Justin Bieber font.

I didn't say that HE would use the smilie...

couldbebetterfly
February 21st, 2011, 05:42 PM
Same here. I don't need motivation to exercise, but I do need motivation to swim. My 24 year break means I never look back at times from my youth and always look forward. Plenty of goals to set here in masters and plenty of competition and racing. Plus, I would never want to go back to the yardage drudgery from my youth that made me avoid the pool for decades. I've enjoyed reinventing myself as a drop dead sprinter.

I think we must be complete opposites :) I am so unmotivated to do any exercise whatsoever unless it is swimming - and it has taken a long time for me to admit that to myself! I only discovered events longer than 100m when I started masters (except for a once yearly 200 free) and at that point realised that I was relatively better at mid-distance than sprints, so masters has always been a new era.

Right now I'm not so far off those PR times of 5 years ago. It does get harder as you get older, but I'm hoping my best is yet to come!

philoswimmer
February 21st, 2011, 07:43 PM
Just looked at the title of this thread again and it struck me funny.

Please, people, finish your business before you get in the pool.

swimshark
February 21st, 2011, 08:14 PM
I was one who swam in HS but took college off. I guess I was burned out. I stayed out of the pool for 11 years until my sister went to LCM Nationals. Then I thought "I can do that" and I was back in the pool a week later. I am beating some of my times from HS but huge changes in me is that back then I was a breast stroker, I hate it now and now I love distance and back then I never did it. So, keep working towards goals but maybe change some of your events and you might surprise yourself in what you can do now that you can pick your meets and events.

I stay in the pool for fitness and competition. I always have goals or I find my motivation can get low.

Jeff, what years did you swim SEC?

The Fortress
February 21st, 2011, 08:37 PM
I think we must be complete opposites :) I am so unmotivated to do any exercise whatsoever unless it is swimming - and it has taken a long time for me to admit that to myself! I only discovered events longer than 100m when I started masters (except for a once yearly 200 free) and at that point realised that I was relatively better at mid-distance than sprints, so masters has always been a new era.

Right now I'm not so far off those PR times of 5 years ago. It does get harder as you get older, but I'm hoping my best is yet to come!

Hahaha. I'm a bit hyper and compulsive. Lap swimming with no racing goal would put me to sleep. Mr. Fort is even more manic than me, and he has no unfinished business either, just new business.

If you train smart, I'm sure the best is yet to come, especially if you're now competing in events for which you're better suited. I'm actually not that far off my 50s times from youth, so it can be done. I think it's completely invigorating to reinvent yourself -- no matter which direction you're heading.

philoswimmer
February 21st, 2011, 09:48 PM
Hahaha. I'm a bit hyper and compulsive. Lap swimming with no racing goal would put me to sleep. Mr. Fort is even more manic than me, and he has no unfinished business either just new business.

If you train smart, I'm sure the best is yet to come, especially if you're now competing in events for which you're better suited. I'm actually not that far off my 50s times from youth, so it can be done. I think it's completely invigorating to reinvent yourself -- no matter which direction you're heading.

Here's a third pitch for reinventing yourself. I used to be a butterflier -- I think the coaches made me a flier because my older sister was -- but always wanted to be a breaststroker. Now that I'm older, I'm finding that my breaststroking ability has maintained itself a lot better than my butterflying ability. I'd like to get back to fly eventually, but for now I am focusing more on breast and having a great time with it.

couldbebetterfly
February 21st, 2011, 09:57 PM
Lap swimming with no racing goal would put me to sleep.

Yep - tried that for a couple of months last year :yawn:, then got sucked into competing at kiddo's summer league, which was 50 sprints plus 100 & 200 free and 100 IM. Certainly focussed my mind, and proved that I was still a pretty rubbish sprinter when compared with my 200 time. Now I have my first ever 500 yd to look forward to at the weekend :banana:.

The Fortress
February 21st, 2011, 10:04 PM
Here's a third pitch for reinventing yourself. I used to be a butterflier -- I think the coaches made me a flier because my older sister was -- but always wanted to be a breaststroker. Now that I'm older, I'm finding that my breaststroking ability has maintained itself a lot better than my butterflying ability. I'd like to get back to fly eventually, but for now I am focusing more on breast and having a great time with it.

Agree Philo! Like you, fly was my best stroke as an age grouper, but now (while I love fly), backstroke is my best stroke. Why? Because, unlike when I was young, I can SDK. Love that new innovation! My breaststroke, however, has remained largely remedial. But, yes, picking your own strokes and your own distances and, often, your own workouts is fantastic. The phrase "masters prerogative" resonates with me. And it's another reason why I am not an old school purist. I'd rather be an old dog learning new tricks. Though I can't seem to master that dorkel.

philoswimmer
February 21st, 2011, 10:54 PM
Agree Philo! Like you, fly was my best stroke as an age grouper, but now (while I love fly), backstroke is my best stroke. Why? Because, unlike when I was young, I can SDK. Love that new innovation! My breaststroke, however, has remained largely remedial. But, yes, picking your own strokes and your own distances and, often, your own workouts is fantastic. The phrase "masters prerogative" resonates with me. And it's another reason why I am not an old school purist. I'd rather be an old dog learning new tricks. Though I can't seem to master that dorkel.

Being able to put my head under the water in breaststroke = heaven. Love the glide. It's a wonderful change to the rules, as is the dolphin kick on the pullout.

"Remedial" is the perfect word to describe my backstroke. I'm like a turtle on my back. Maybe I should work on my SDK, there is more hope for it than the part where I move my arms.

ElaineK
February 22nd, 2011, 11:59 AM
Being able to put my head under the water in breaststroke = heaven. Love the glide. It's a wonderful change to the rules, as is the dolphin kick on the pullout.

"Remedial" is the perfect word to describe my backstroke. I'm like a turtle on my back. Maybe I should work on my SDK, there is more hope for it than the part where I move my arms.

Breaststroke, Philo? :applaud: Join the Frogs! Like you, backstroke is my worst stroke. But, I have been determined to improve it, so I can get better at IM. I used to feel like :drowning: while swimming backstroke, but a nose clip and some coaching has helped a lot! I have to ditch the nose clip for the IM, though, because I can't get used to using it for the other strokes.

Having the choice to work on my other strokes when/ how I want to is a huge improvement over my high school swim team days when the coach was all about filling lane slots. Backstrokers were plentiful on our team, so backstroke never appeared on the chalkboard for the breaststroke lane... :badday:

JimRude
February 22nd, 2011, 12:58 PM
Though I can't seem to master that dorkel.

Since you are already a nose clipper, the dorkel should be easy. The only tricky bit are the flip turns. YMMV.

steph2kids
February 23rd, 2011, 09:57 AM
I enjoy swimming now much more than when I was an age-grouper. I quit when I was turning 15 and didn't have the times for championship meets anymore. My unfinished business is that I didn't go on to swim in high school with a coach who knew what to do with teenagers. I might have been so much faster if he knew how to help us with that transition.

I had a huge break, and now my almost 15-yr-old son is competing, and doing very well. He's not the prettiest swimmer, but he strong and faster than we ever were. Made me wonder what I could do. I've been seriously training using these on-line workouts here while he swims. I'm enjoying it a lot, and enjoying getting stronger.

I have new business now...I'm so not fast!! It's pretty pathetic. My lap time is the same as my race time. I cannot seem to swim fast anymore, except fly. I can't tell if it's just not in me anymore (slow shoulders?) or I'm just not doing something right. It's very frustrating. But then again, I can't run fast anymore either, but I can run FARTHER and smarter. I can swim much farther and happier than before, so maybe it's worth giving up the sprints. I wonder if anyone else has this problem...

couldbebetterfly
February 23rd, 2011, 10:06 AM
I have new business now...I'm so not fast!! It's pretty pathetic. My lap time is the same as my race time. I cannot seem to swim fast anymore, except fly. I can't tell if it's just not in me anymore (slow shoulders?) or I'm just not doing something right. It's very frustrating. But then again, I can't run fast anymore either, but I can run FARTHER and smarter. I can swim much farther and happier than before, so maybe it's worth giving up the sprints. I wonder if anyone else has this problem...

I never was much of a sprinter, but find it even harder now to get fired up for a 50 - except fly! For some reason I can still do a 50 fly within 1.5 secs of my 50 free, which probably says more about my non-sprint free. Anyway I've moved to mid-distance as I've got older. I think training on your own makes it hard to sprint - I can pace myeslf against the clock on 200s, 500s or sets of 100 reps, but don't have all that testosterone flying round from the "boys" lane to help with the speed work.

ande
February 23rd, 2011, 11:23 AM
I think of myself as blessed and very fortunate, I'm pretty happy with my swimming experiences but I do feel like I never swam as fast as I could have.

Here's my reasons why, I:

+ had spotty training from ages 8 to 11, then started with the Langley Blue Dolphins in Hampton Virginia which became the Coast Guard Blue Dolphins at a Coast Guard Base new Yorktown.

+ took a break from swimming from Feb 1977 to Sep 1977 after I moved from Hamption Virginia to Austin, Texas

+ didn't really get into a strong swimming program until I started Longhorn Aquatics in Austin in Sep 1977

+ didn't break 1:00 in the 100 scy fr until I was 15

+ didn't move up into the top age group program at Longhorn coached by Paul Bergen until I my High school jr year.

+ was a late bloomer, was 5'4" 120 lbs as a HS freshman, 6'1" end of my HS SR then grew 2 more inches in college to 6' 3 & 3/4ths

+ just turned 18 when I graduated from HS, so I was younger than most of my class.

+ should have kept training for the 200 & 400 IM's & the 200 & 500 fr

+ hurt my back in 1982, the summer after my freshman year at UT, & it kept hurting for 2 years and I didn't improve. Wasn't able to swim as hard or lift.
but finally broke through this slump with My Best Season Ever

+ never got a swimming scholarship & never in NCAAs or Olympic Trials, even though I made cuts for both.

+ wish I would have gotten better sooner at streamline dolphin kicking

+ really wish when I was at UT, that we had 4 x 50 relays & tech suits.

But I did what I did and it is what it is and now I'm having fun in masters.

qbrain
February 23rd, 2011, 11:37 AM
My best 50 fr: 23.0x
My best 100 fr: 50.0x
My best 200 fr: 1:50.0x

I believe that is the source of all my pent up frustration, jaded world view and occasional sarcasm. Those barriers are the only reason I train and as soon as they are broken I will never swim again having dissolved all frustration allowing myself to see the world in a new light and achieved divine bliss.

pwb
February 23rd, 2011, 11:45 AM
My best 50 fr: 23.0x
My best 100 fr: 50.0x
My best 200 fr: 1:50.0x

I believe that is the source of all my pent up frustration, jaded world view and occasional sarcasm. Those barriers are the only reason I train and as soon as they are broken I will never swim again having dissolved all frustration allowing myself to see the world in a new light and achieved divine bliss.Once you see 22+ in the 50 the siren song of 21.99 will draw you in ... same with 48.99, 1:48.99 ... and on and on and on. Enjoy the endless pursuit of happiness and divine bliss.

ElaineK
February 23rd, 2011, 02:15 PM
But I did what I did and it is what it is and now I'm having fun in masters.

You also rock! Watching (and recording) your world record-breaking 200IM at 2010 Nationals was one of the highlights for me! :applaud:

ande
February 24th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Hi Elaine,

thank you
I appreciate you shooting that race & cheering
it was SCY so you can only have a Nat records in that pool length.
YouTube - 2010 Masters SCY Nats 200 IM Men 45 to 49 1:58.20 NR
WRs are only for LCM or SCM

Ande

You also rock! Watching (and recording) your world record-breaking 200IM at 2010 Nationals was one of the highlights for me! :applaud:

awoods
February 24th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Used to have dreams at night about still competeing on my highschool team so I hit the pool again at age 43. My goal was to score 1 point at any type of Masters National competition. So far the closest I have come to that is a 16th place finish. Maybe it's better I don't place so that I keep on swimming.

thewookiee
February 24th, 2011, 12:38 PM
You also rock! Watching (and recording) your world record-breaking 200IM at 2010 Nationals was one of the highlights for me!

Geek, one of your unfinished goals in the pool is to break a world record in the mile. If I get to witness that happening, that will be one of the happiest moments of my usms career.

aquageek
February 24th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Geek, one of your unfinished goals in the pool is to break a world record in the mile. If I get to witness that happening, that will be one of the happiest moments of my usms career.

That would require me unseating Alex Kostich, who has posted an incredible time beyond what I can even imagine.

But, yes, filming you and Fort swimming side by side in the same heat would be the most awesome thing ever in my entire history of swimming. I'd hold that memory close and dear for all eternity. I'd Bieber font it for posterity.

thewookiee
February 24th, 2011, 12:56 PM
That would require me unseating Alex Kostich, who has posted an incredible time beyond what I can even imagine.

But, yes, filming you and Fort swimming side by side in the same heat would be the most awesome thing ever in my entire history of swimming. I'd hold that memory close and dear for all eternity. I'd Bieber font it for posterity.

Fort would be too scarred of my Jim Thornton muscles even show-up at the same meet. But to achieve some of the goals that I would like to in the pool, I am thinking I will need to improve my thornton muscles by adding strength training to regime.

The Fortress
February 24th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Fort would be too scarred of my Jim Thornton muscles to even show-up at the same meet.

How quickly they forget ...

But it was indeed a sublime moment of my swim career celebrating Wook's birthday in my backyard after Zones.

Jazz Hands
February 24th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Must clarify.

I use the standard smile a lot, so that I can say mean things without seeming mean. Here's an example:

"Your butterfly in the video looks good. Try getting both arms out of the water for the recovery :)"

aquageek
February 24th, 2011, 05:13 PM
"Your butterfly in the video looks good. Try getting both arms out of the water for the recovery :)"

Now that's quite funny. I actually had an outward chuckle, kind of like when I saw Jazz in his ripped suit in Atlanta.:)

The Fortress
February 24th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Now that's quite funny. I actually had an outward chuckle, kind of like when I saw Jazz in his ripped suit in Atlanta.:)

Or the kind of chuckle you get realizing that Jim and Wookiee have some unfinished business in the weight room, but I don't. :)

ElaineK
February 24th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Or the kind of chuckle you get realizing that Jim and Wookiee have some unfinished business in the weight room, but I don't. :)

:hijack: :D

The Fortress
February 24th, 2011, 06:10 PM

Initial thread hijack and suck up, which led to our sarcasm.

And I never said I didn't hijack threads; however, at least I was discussing "unfinished business." :)

aquageek
February 24th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Initial thread hijack and suck up.

And I never said I didn't hijack threads; however, at least I was discussing "unfinished business." :) There is a rich history of hijacking on this forum; it has only recently been objected to.

Are you able to carry on given this vicious personal attack, Fort? Maybe Jimby and Wookiee can rush to your aide with their massive biceps.

ElaineK
February 24th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Hi Elaine,

thank you
I appreciate you shooting that race & cheering
it was SCY so you can only have a Nat records in that pool length.
YouTube - 2010 Masters SCY Nats 200 IM Men 45 to 49 1:58.20 NR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECihgAWZiy4)
WRs are only for LCM or SCM

Ande

Thanks for correcting me on that; I'm still learning the ropes, I guess! And, hey, your welcome. I may be accused of highjacking the thread and being called a "suck up" for saying that, but you are deserving of the praise you receive for your swimming achievements and positive contributions to the forums.

The Fortress
February 24th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks for correcting me on that; I'm still learning the ropes, I guess! And, hey, your welcome. I may be accused of highjacking the thread and being called a "suck up" for saying that, but you are deserving of the praise you receive for your swimming achievements and positive contributions to the forums.

That's not why we said you were a suck up.

It goes without saying that Ande makes positive contributions through his threads and blog. I have personally thanked him on many occasions, and he is a friend.

I think you would benefit by using the words attack and accuse less frequently.

Jazz Hands
February 24th, 2011, 09:15 PM
She's not a suck-up, she's just relentlessly positive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDMA#Effects

thewookiee
February 24th, 2011, 09:47 PM
That's not why we said you were a suck up.

It goes without saying that Ande makes positive contributions through his threads and blog. I have personally thanked him on many occasions, and he is a friend.

I think you would benefit by using the words attack and accuse less frequently.

Or using the "report this post" button or whatever it's called when she doesn't like a comment

ElaineK
February 24th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Or using the "report this post" button or whatever it's called when she doesn't like a comment

I have NEVER reported a post. Don't believe it? Ask the moderators.

thewookiee
February 24th, 2011, 10:13 PM
I have NEVER reported a post. Don't believe it? Ask the moderators.

Sorry, the bieber font is messing up on my screen. It's all fuzzy, can't make it out. Since I have an early practice, I won't try to decode the fuzziness. I have several goals that I have set for myself in the backstroke events and maybe one that will involve chasing down a certain geek in a freestyle one as well.

AnnG
March 1st, 2011, 11:42 AM
Couple of things from my Masters swimming experience:
You will need to establish new baselines as there is no way you can train like you did in college even if you wanted to, life is just much more complicated and you probably have new priorities.
That being said, it doesn't mean you can't challenge yourself and improve your swimming. I had to learn the new techniques developed in my decade and a half break between collegiate and masters swimming.
You may start out with the intention of exorcising your unfinished business, however you will find that masters is a completely different atmosphere, you will continue with it because of what it does for your heart and soul. All of a sudden you will realize you forgot about all that unfinished business because you are having entirely too much fun!

Kevinj
March 3rd, 2011, 02:48 PM
You may start out with the intention of exorcising your unfinished business, however you will find that masters is a completely different atmosphere, you will continue with it because of what it does for your heart and soul. All of a sudden you will realize you forgot about all that unfinished business because you are having entirely too much fun!

Well said. :applaud:

For me I started swimming masters so I could lose some weight and not have to start sizing up my surfboards. But just like you, the path has led to so much more than just a little exercise.