PDA

View Full Version : Too much Skin

berddog
February 22nd, 2011, 01:09 PM
Went to the Missouri Grand Prix, w my wife and girls, age 12 and 8, to watch some great swimming this past weekend and it was great!

Also recently paid to have a criminal background check as I am an official for USA swimming, so they can make sure I'm not a perv...(I passed...)

I will say this, and I'm really not a prude, but in light of spending 55-60 bucks for the background check, perhaps USA swimming should look at enforcing some simple modesty in the swimmers.

I've never seen so many butt-cracks on the men and butt cheeks on the women in my entire lifelong swimming experience!!!! The fronts of guys suits literally an inch from their "junk" and their butt crack hanging out. Girls with their full butt cheek exposed as their warmup suits were 5 sizes too small and tucked in like a thong.

My 8 yr old daughter and my wife had a 20 something young man wrap his towel around himself, pull off his suit, pull on his underwear, about 5 ft in front of them (and his butt was fully exposed for a brief moment)...

I personally dont care, it bothers me not in the least, but what does bother me is USA is trying to crack down on the pervs, but then allows this...

Just my 2 cents...

tjrpatt
February 22nd, 2011, 01:15 PM
the deck changes at USA-S Meets needs to stop. The worst is when they do it when they are 2 feet from the locker room. No one wants to potentially see your business.

I think that the butt crack could be the way the suits are made these days. Or, some swimmers are prone to "butt crack" than others.

evmo
February 22nd, 2011, 03:15 PM
...perhaps USA swimming should look at enforcing some simple modesty in the swimmers.

I can see it now: The Butt Crack Police.

Do you aspire to be a Rules Official? Well, first you have to be a Butt Official.

And do the folks who volunteer specifically for the Butt Police get extra-special background checks?

Will there be a script for delivering warnings to violators of the Butt Crack Protocol? "Hello. I couldn't help noticing... your butt crack."

Will only female Butt Crack Officials be allowed to deliver warnings to female swimmers? Sort of like pat-downs at the airport?

USA Swimming: Where no exposed butt crack goes unnoticed.

knelson
February 22nd, 2011, 03:25 PM
Teens and college aged swimmers showing lots of skin and doing deck changes tells me they've got a positive body image. In today's world I think that's a good thing. If it requires seeing the odd butt cheek or crack, big deal. :)

thewookiee
February 22nd, 2011, 03:26 PM
The sight of butts and cracks must have bothered you, otherwise, you wouldn't have started this thread to complain.

Lump
February 22nd, 2011, 03:27 PM
AH, the ole "towel change" (ie. deck change). I still do it to this day. Of course I'm a pro at it so no change of you seeing my "junk" unless someone wants to pull my towel away.

aquageek
February 22nd, 2011, 03:27 PM
The sight of butts and cracks must have bothered you, otherwise, you wouldn't have started this thread to complain.

Oh crap, he's back.

Bieber alert.

On the thread topic - who cares? It is swimming, a sport hardly known for modesty.

thewookiee
February 22nd, 2011, 03:29 PM
Bieber alert.

On the thread topic - who cares? It is swimming, a sport hardly known for modesty.

Bieber ain't got nothing on my fur.

Besides, it not like suits really hide that much from the imagination anyway.

berddog
February 22nd, 2011, 03:48 PM

No what bothers me is I spend 50 to be an official, now they are asking me to spend another 40 to make sure I'm not a pedophile.

Then the lines just keep getting more and more blurred. The kids see the butt cracks and butt cheeks on the "pros", next thing, it's butt cracks and butt cheeks at agegroup meets...remeber we're warding off pedophiles???

Sorry, it's not the end of the world, personally yeah, it bothers me when a 20 something young man does a deck change right in front, like 3 rows of bleachers in front with no one in between, of my 8 yr old daughter. Yep it bothers me a bit. Sue me.

Chris Stevenson
February 22nd, 2011, 04:23 PM
In recent years with all the tech suits, we've forgotten the old-style suits. But I don't think they are any worse than when I was in college back in the 80s. I had a teammate who wore a size 24 paper suit to championship meets: so small and painful that he would only put it on right before his race and immediately take it off. And deck changes have been around forever.

One difference is on the females, the race-suits are not as revealing as the old high-riding suits. Yes, warmup suits are throwbacks to those days. But I see girls wearing similar suits in practice. A little oddly, the guys don't, they tend to the drag suits or, more commonly, the old ratty suits with holes, worn over jammers. I guess that's the cool look nowadays. I'm decidedly old-school in my Endurance briefs.

It's swimming. Other than the butt-cracks, which still bother me a little -- I guess I'm showing my age, but whoever thought THAT was a good idea? -- these sort of things are commonplace enough to become banal.

My wife had to go through that background check thing too (though she got reimbursed at least). I guess I see why they do it, but it still seems so CYA instead of anything practical. I mean, heck: she's a Recorder -- staring at the computer screen the entire meet -- and gets a background check. Meanwhile I can swim in the same lane with seemingly half-naked teenage girls in practice without a problem. Sheesh, lawyers.

Lump
February 22nd, 2011, 04:25 PM
No what bothers me is I spend 50 to be an official, now they are asking me to spend another 40 to make sure I'm not a pedophile.

Then the lines just keep getting more and more blurred. The kids see the butt cracks and butt cheeks on the "pros", next thing, it's butt cracks and butt cheeks at agegroup meets...remeber we're warding off pedophiles???

Sorry, it's not the end of the world, personally yeah, it bothers me when a 20 something young man does a deck change right in front, like 3 rows of bleachers in front with no one in between, of my 8 yr old daughter. Yep it bothers me a bit. Sue me.

He did a deck change on the deck or in the stands...two different things. The deck is for swimmers, not spectators, so I can see them doing it there. The stands are for spectators.

Personally I only do deck changes with practice suits, not a tech (WAY too hard to get on off) suit and only when locker room is far away, crowded, etc. I'm careful about it.

aquageek
February 22nd, 2011, 04:31 PM

Well, many clubs reimburse the USAS fee for those who step up and officiate. And, it's entirely voluntary so you can choose not to officiate.

As to the background check, it really isn't about you making sure you aren't a bad guy. It's to protect the kids and the integrity of the sport. I don't see the big deal at all. At our last officials meetings, well over half the officials get background checks for their jobs or other volunteer positions. It is the price of business these days.

If looking at people in skimpy attire is a problem, you clearly have selected the wrong sport to participate in. The suits are roughly the same now as they were 40 years ago when I started.

You must stroke out at the beach where even a skimpy pool suit would look Elizabethan.

stillwater
February 22nd, 2011, 04:40 PM
I have young girls that swim also. Yes, they smirk and giggle at butt-cracks during swim meets, I do too. They taunt and mock me when I'm fixing the darn plumbing also.

I don't think that child molestation has a thing to do with visible butt-cracks at swim meets.

A finely done deck change is a dance of artistic value.

berddog
February 22nd, 2011, 04:46 PM
Well, many clubs reimburse the USAS fee for those who step up and officiate. And, it's entirely voluntary so you can choose not to officiate.

As to the background check, it really isn't about you making sure you aren't a bad guy. It's to protect the kids and the integrity of the sport. I don't see the big deal at all. At our last officials meetings, well over half the officials get background checks for their jobs or other volunteer positions. It is the price of business these days.

If looking at people in skimpy attire is a problem, you clearly have selected the wrong sport to participate in. The suits are roughly the same now as they were 40 years ago when I started.

You must stroke out at the beach where even a skimpy pool suit would look Elizabethan.

Oh good god are you reading what I wrote?

I'll quit beating a dead horse, if your reading comprehension skills are lacking, I can't fix that. Looking at people in skimpy clothing is not the issue and if that's your conclusion of my statements above, then I can't fix your inability to process the thoughts I voiced.

JimRude
February 22nd, 2011, 05:08 PM
Oh good god are you reading what I wrote?

I'll quit beating a dead horse, if your reading comprehension skills are lacking, I can't fix that. Looking at people in skimpy clothing is not the issue and if that's your conclusion of my statements above, then I can't fix your inability to process the thoughts I voiced.

It sounds from your first post that you think that if USA Swimming is rightly concerned about sexual abuse of athletes by coaches and other adults, that they should also introduce a "modesty police" for suit sizes.

Modesty (or prudishness) is something that today's youth in general are not overly concerned about, and something that elite swimmers have probably never been. So the introduction of burkinis is probably not going to happen, despite Glenn Beck's fear of sharia law.

And deck-changes are about convenience, nothing else. I'm a fat 40+'er, and I'll do 'em as long as it's too far to walk to the locker rooms...

aquageek
February 22nd, 2011, 05:18 PM
... if your reading comprehension skills are lacking, I can't fix that.

What few skillz I have are indeed lacking. But, I can look past a kid in a skimpy suit with ease.

Like stinkfeather, I have daughters and they wear the tiniest suits they can squeeze into. Some battles aren't worth the effort.

The goodness you didn't see Fort at Nats in her super tight red cat suit. Good grief, man, you would have required oxygen.

Jazz Hands
February 22nd, 2011, 05:24 PM
Went to the Missouri Grand Prix, w my wife and girls, age 12 and 8, to watch some great swimming this past weekend and it was great!

Also recently paid to have a criminal background check as I am an official for USA swimming, so they can make sure I'm not a perv...(I passed...)

I will say this, and I'm really not a prude, but in light of spending 55-60 bucks for the background check, perhaps USA swimming should look at enforcing some simple modesty in the swimmers.

I've never seen so many butt-cracks on the men and butt cheeks on the women in my entire lifelong swimming experience!!!! The fronts of guys suits literally an inch from their "junk" and their butt crack hanging out. Girls with their full butt cheek exposed as their warmup suits were 5 sizes too small and tucked in like a thong.

My 8 yr old daughter and my wife had a 20 something young man wrap his towel around himself, pull off his suit, pull on his underwear, about 5 ft in front of them (and his butt was fully exposed for a brief moment)...

I personally dont care, it bothers me not in the least, but what does bother me is USA is trying to crack down on the pervs, but then allows this...

Just my 2 cents...

I don't think you understand what kind of "perv" USA Swimming wants to prevent from working with kids. It has nothing to do with deck changing.

berddog
February 22nd, 2011, 05:40 PM
What few skillz I have are indeed lacking. But, I can look past a kid in a skimpy suit with ease.

Like stinkfeather, I have daughters and they wear the tiniest suits they can squeeze into. Some battles aren't worth the effort.

The goodness you didn't see Fort at Nats in her super tight red cat suit. Good grief, man, you would have required oxygen.

Your not getting it. My daughters wear itsy bitsy bikinis too, bothers me not one iota. I can look past a kid in a skimpy suit too...

I guess I just think, the men should not have their asscrack hanging out 3 inches (while walking--we're not even talking bent over) and the women should not have their entire butt cheek sticking out of their suit. I don't care what you say, I'm 41, swam my entire life, and we NEVER saw a butt crack or a full butt cheek as a kid at meets, ever. (sometimes when someones suit got so thin you could see THROUGH the suit!)

When the "pros" and "elites" decide for themselves, "I don't care if my crack shows", it will push down to age group, starting with the 18 yr olds trying to be cool like the elites, and mark my word, when little suzie 9 yr old wants to tuck her suit up in her arse cause she saw so and so do it, then we'll eventually have a bunch of little kids with their butts hanging out...perv heaven.

I guess it's just a further example of blurring the lines between right and wrong.

That Guy
February 22nd, 2011, 05:42 PM
I don't think you understand what kind of "perv" USA Swimming wants to prevent from working with kids. It has nothing to do with deck changing.

At college meets it was common to see male swimmers change on deck without a towel to cover them up. It was almost unnoticable to me because they were just acting like they were in the locker room when they actually weren't. Nothing like these guys: :ohyeah::ohyeah::ohyeah::ohyeah::ohyeah::ohyeah::o hyeah::ohyeah:

JimRude
February 22nd, 2011, 05:49 PM
:eek:

gobears
February 22nd, 2011, 05:57 PM
I guess it's just a further example of blurring the lines between right and wrong.

It's the human body, for Pete's sake! When did people's bottoms become immoral? Pretty sure none of the European countries are as uptight about this kind of thing. Wish we weren't here in the States either...

aquageek
February 22nd, 2011, 05:59 PM
When the "pros" and "elites" decide for themselves, "I don't care if my crack shows", it will push down to age group, starting with the 18 yr olds trying to be cool like the elites, and mark my word, when little suzie 9 yr old wants to tuck her suit up in her arse cause she saw so and so do it, then we'll eventually have a bunch of little kids with their butts hanging out...perv heaven.

I actually train at a club with elites and pros and there hasn't been an outbreak of butt crack displaying by the 600+ age groupers in the program. And, to be honest, who really would care in the first place?

Dolphin 2
February 22nd, 2011, 06:29 PM
What the Hell is the big deal about swimmers showing "too much" skin?

For over 60 years, swimming has been an almost bare body activity that involved only a minimum amount of clothing (-IE- briefs for guys or bikinis and tops for gals). As long as they're not stripping totally naked on the deck, I've got no problem.

While we're on the subject, the same bunch of prudes that are preaching guys shouldn't wear conventional speedos because they are some how immodest (show too much of the upper leg and purportedly accentuate the male anatomy) now want guys to wear jammers (or tech suits) -both of which create that absolutely awful looking "Bulge" in the groin area!!!

What a bunch of hypocrites!!! :bump:
D2

ourswimmer
February 22nd, 2011, 06:42 PM

I concur with your main point, but didn't USA Swimming put out some new rule or policy about deck changing, as an anti-"perv" measure, not so long ago?

swimcat
February 22nd, 2011, 07:32 PM
Young people changing on deck is one thing. I saw someone at ynats in 2008, deck change- a woman. anywho nothing bothers me after sharing a communal locker room at 2000 worlds in munich. There were a bunch of stalls such as bathroom ones that came up about 5 ft. so if you were taller or somebody passed by, they got a look.
I used to wear paper suits. man they hurt to get off. still have an old 24. yeah like I could wear it on my head these days. As an IMer I have always preferred tanks, had to get used to kneeskins and never did like full suits. I think it is the breasstroke kick, cause a kneeskin doesnt' bother me in fly.
Now days the problem with tanks and banana hammocks is like what is the deal either get a brazilian or shave people

geochuck
February 22nd, 2011, 07:37 PM
I guess as long as the suits have this on them it is OK and legal

jaadams1
February 22nd, 2011, 07:56 PM
I guess as long as the suits have this on them it is OK and legal

The suit doesn't necessarily have to have that stamp to be considered legal. I can wear a Speedo "whatever the heck" style from the "grab bags" in a meet and that is legal too. No '09 FINA stamp anywhere there...

ElaineK
February 22nd, 2011, 08:58 PM
OK, I can't resist any longer:

:mooning:

shahboz
February 22nd, 2011, 09:28 PM

Didn't know the human body was "wrong"...

And I have recently had a deck official tell one of our seniors that their suit was "disgusting"... This was the same meet where I was harassed by officials, meet manager and deck workers for shooting video of one of my swimmers during their races (camera zone signs were not posted). I specifically had a request by the swimmer to shoot her event. I was shooting by the turn end and down at the water. I had an official aggressively get in my face and had a deck worker ask if "I was actively coaching" while shooting. Im a coach, I have a bg check and was obviously shooting the swimmer in the water.

I have seen more "power trip" officials in the past year than I have seen in my entire swimming career. You know what I find discussing and unacceptable? A starter/official who leaves the starting area to scream (red in the face) at an 8 year old because she was confused and stepped up next to the block in the wrong heat. Way to represent swimming... Some guy's crack seems totally trivial to this type of behavior.

pwb
February 22nd, 2011, 09:41 PM
You know, if we just brought back the bodysuits, this whole issue* would go away.:bolt:

*I grew up swimming in the 'less is more' era of competition suits, so I actually think there's more coverage now than in the 80s.

gshaw
February 22nd, 2011, 09:46 PM
It seems petty to even respond to this thread and Berddog's concern about seeing peoples' bodies at a swim meet. Geez... who cares. It is not a big deal. It has nothing to do with right and wrong unless one has been conditioned to think that seeing parts of the body are "bad." Huh?

Granted, some displays may seem tacky in style, but it has nothing to do with blurring the lines between right and wrong; if so we might as well apply that judgment to people who wear poorly fitting clothes or mismatched colors. We don't say they are blurring the line between right and wrong. Bodies are okay. Swimmers tend to be comfortable with their bodies. Relax.

If you don't want to see bodies, swim meets are probably not a great place to be.

geochuck
February 22nd, 2011, 10:01 PM
I dont think full body suits would help.

You know, if we just brought back the bodysuits, this whole issue* would go away.:bolt:

chaos
February 22nd, 2011, 10:22 PM
modesty..... another area where the europeans are centuries ahead of us.

co-ed locker rooms , co-ed toilets etc.

pwb
February 22nd, 2011, 10:26 PM
If you don't want to see bodies, swim meets are probably not a great place to be.Right on! As if the suits are really hiding much anyway.

pwb
February 22nd, 2011, 10:27 PM
I dont think full body suits would help.Yeah, I was just trying to hijack this inane thread with a more contentious topic.:bump:

no200fly
February 22nd, 2011, 11:17 PM
While we're on the subject, the same bunch of prudes that are preaching guys shouldn't wear conventional speedos because they are some how immodest (show too much of the upper leg and purportedly accentuate the male anatomy) now want guys to wear jammers (or tech suits) -both of which create that absolutely awful looking "Bulge" in the groin area!!!

What a bunch of hypocrites!!! :bump:
D2

After swimming from age 14 through college, I had not worn a suit other than a racing brief in all of those years. Two years later I graduated from law school and started into law practice. One of my new partners invited me and my girlfriend to have dinner and swim at his new house. I wore my speedo brief and did not think anything about it. He and his wife didn't appear to think anything of it. His 4 year old little girl, however, came to me when I was out of the water and pointed to the bulge in my suit and said "what's that." I said, "It's my swim suit." She said "no, what's in your swim suit."

That pretty well through me off so I did the best I could to divert the conversation and said "you need to ask your dad." Not to be deterred she said "no, my daddy doesn't have one of those."

Luckily, her mother intervened and moved the conversation in a different direction.

chaos
February 23rd, 2011, 06:38 AM
That pretty well through me off so I did the best I could to divert the conversation and said "you need to ask your dad." Not to be deterred she said "no, my daddy doesn't have one of those."

test tube baby no doubt.

swimmieAvsFan
February 23rd, 2011, 08:40 AM
I concur with your main point, but didn't USA Swimming put out some new rule or policy about deck changing, as an anti-"perv" measure, not so long ago?

deck changing technically violates the USA-S code of conduct/sportsmanship policy.
the way our LSC enforces it (not sure if all of USA-S does it the same way) is that, if you get caught, you'll be kicked out of the rest of the meet.
not sure if this has happened to anyone yet though...

geochuck
February 23rd, 2011, 09:09 AM
Just once at a meet I saw a guy take off his sweat suit and he did not have his suit on. He sure put the sweat suit back on in a hurry. He withdrew from the meet on his own.

couldbebetterfly
February 23rd, 2011, 10:09 AM
Just once at a meet I saw a guy take off his sweat suit and he did not have his suit on. He sure put the sweat suit back on in a hurry. He withdrew from the meet on his own.

I was wondering how long it would take to turn this into the naked swimming thread :bolt:

geochuck
February 23rd, 2011, 10:36 AM
It could start right about now.

My brother Tom occassionaly swam his Marathon swims in the nude. He would start the race with a swim suit, take it off, swim in the nude. After the race was finished he would put a suit on before he exited the water.

EJB190
February 23rd, 2011, 10:45 AM
Perhaps they want to make sure you're not a pervert so that you're not distracted by all the cracks, bulges, abs, butts, and other things that would be distracting.

"No I didn't see if he DQ'ed, I was too busy staring at ________"

Chicken of the Sea
February 23rd, 2011, 01:18 PM

My brother Tom occassionaly swam his Marathon swims in the nude. He would start the race with a swim suit, take it off, swim in the nude. After the race was finished he would put a suit on before he exited the water.

no tan lines! good idea

thewookiee
February 23rd, 2011, 01:27 PM

Why not sue USA Swimming? Afterall, they could use more exposure.

Chris Stevenson
February 23rd, 2011, 02:01 PM
they could use more exposure.

:doh:

knelson
February 23rd, 2011, 02:16 PM
no tan lines! good idea

Hollywood even made a movie about Tom.

"Free Willy"

thewookiee
February 23rd, 2011, 02:24 PM

Chris,

I am disappointed in you. A man of your higher education can come up with something better than one of those stupid smiley faces to express your feelings about my comment.

geochuck
February 23rd, 2011, 02:25 PM
Tom worked the killer whale show in San Diego. He swam with them but he wore a swim suit. I would not try it, swim suit or no swim suit.

Chris Stevenson
February 23rd, 2011, 02:39 PM
Chris,

I am disappointed in you. A man of your higher education can come up with something better than one of those stupid smiley faces to express your feelings about my comment.

:mooning::mooning::mooning:

knelson
February 23rd, 2011, 03:40 PM
Tom worked the killer whale show in San Diego.

OK, this is funny and sort of ruins my attempt at a joke.

The Fortress
February 23rd, 2011, 04:42 PM

Has Chris gone rogue? I thought there was a forum rule about not having a smilie without text in a post?

thewookiee
February 23rd, 2011, 04:49 PM
Has Chris gone rogue? I thought there was a forum rule about not having a smilie without text in a post?

Maybe the sight of a little crack is what gets him up to swim fast at a meet.

That Guy
February 23rd, 2011, 05:03 PM

no, there's a rule that you can't post a picture without any words. not that I would know anything about that. Welcome to the dark side Chris! :bliss:

Chris Stevenson
February 23rd, 2011, 05:08 PM

Maybe the sight of a little crack is what gets him up to swim fast at a meet.

Those are exceptionally smart smilies. What can I say? I like wise cracks.

thewookiee
February 23rd, 2011, 05:11 PM
Those are exceptionally smart smilies. What can I say? I like wise cracks.

I think people's heads are cracked from hitting the wall too many times.

ElaineK
February 23rd, 2011, 05:28 PM

I couldn't have "said" it better myself! :bolt:

orca1946
February 23rd, 2011, 05:30 PM
I think thread this has gone where no man has gone before :bolt:

thewookiee
February 23rd, 2011, 09:28 PM

I bet the the guy that started this thread didn't imgaine his topic would become the butt of jokes.

knelson
February 24th, 2011, 01:23 AM
Oh, I'm sure he doesn't mind if we crack a joke or two...

analazy
February 24th, 2011, 03:02 AM
It's the human body, for Pete's sake! When did people's bottoms become immoral? Pretty sure none of the European countries are as uptight about this kind of thing. Wish we weren't here in the States either...

Yes, among older people nudity is not a big issue, and we have mixed shower rooms mostly north Europe : UK, Germany, Netherlands, etc. :applaud:
Unfortunately the younger generation is a bit more “shy” due to their immaturity….:D
Personally I am in favor of nudism so any kind of situation involving a natural (not “sexual exposure”) exposure of the body is natural.:)

Bobinator
February 24th, 2011, 12:13 PM

You've got to be careful about doing that! In the lake where I swim the trout have been known to go after nipples!! :afraid:

Thrashing Slug
February 24th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Nipple-biting trout seem pretty innocuous. There are worse things, like the Candiru: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candiru

swimmerb212
February 24th, 2011, 12:55 PM

I kind of want and don't want to ask where he kept that other suit during the Marathon...

Bobinator
February 25th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Nipple-biting trout seem pretty innocuous. There are worse things, like the Candiru: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candiru

Another great reason to NOT urinate in the water!!!!!!!! Yikes!