PDA

View Full Version : Does putting body lotion on before a meet help?

Green_Ghoul
February 22nd, 2011, 09:32 PM
Hi, I have my league meet tomorrow, and I've already shaved my arms and legs, but my coach also said that putting body lotion on beforehand will help me too.

Has anyone done this? If so, what brand lotion? I have "suave" at my house.

Also, lately I have been feeling sluggish at practice since taper started, is that normal? And is my stroke supposed to feel "off" after shaving? because it did today.

Thanks!

__steve__
February 22nd, 2011, 10:16 PM
Fish slime

Green_Ghoul
February 22nd, 2011, 10:26 PM
...um, I've never heard of that.

fmracing
February 22nd, 2011, 11:06 PM
We used to cake up with myoflex before big races. Slippery as hell once you hit the water.

orca1946
February 23rd, 2011, 12:40 AM
Where do we find myoflex? What else is it used for?

fmracing
February 23rd, 2011, 09:22 AM
Where do we find myoflex? What else is it used for?

Its muscle rub kinda like bengay or sportscreme.

orca1946
February 23rd, 2011, 11:35 AM
O K Thanx for the tip.

qbrain
February 23rd, 2011, 11:39 AM
It helps cloud the water if that is what you are going for.

ande
February 23rd, 2011, 12:01 PM
Ghoul,

I responded to your questions in ASK ANDE

Hope it helps.

Ande

Green_Ghoul
February 23rd, 2011, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the responses, but I think I'm going to skip lotioining up today.

I should be smooth enough through the water since I shaved my arms/legs.

stillwater
February 23rd, 2011, 07:25 PM
*Vasoline, vasoline, vasoline. One time I put vasoline on the bottom of my feet and scooted right off the blocks.

The heats after me were at bit peeved because, (I think) they didn't think of it first.

Grease up

* Stillwater is joking. No mocking or taunting intended.

Green_Ghoul
February 23rd, 2011, 10:18 PM
i don't think vasoline would be the best idea, I might slip.

This is kind of off topic, but I went + 0.1 in my 100 breast stroke, which isn't terrible, but my walls were really slow and sloppy. Does anyone know how to completely improve them in one day?

orca1946
February 24th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Would SPF lotions be faster that skin? Since we are going to be in the sun all day , we will have this stuff on any way.

jim thornton
February 24th, 2011, 01:20 PM
I've actually wondered about PAM vegetable "no stick" spray, which has been used for decades as a poor man's Body Glide to prevent abrasion with wet suits, especially in salt water.

And if Pam works, wouldn't a Teflon spray like Scotch Guard work even better? The original Aquablade, after all, had vertical stripes some of which were supposedly coated in Teflon. Why not just coat your shaved skin directly?

I wonder, however, how healthy it is to smother your pores in something designed for stain resistance.

Do we have any dermatologists within our ranks to comment on safety?

Only if this is established need we move on to Phase 3 clinical efficacy trials!

orca1946
February 25th, 2011, 12:46 PM
OH OOO !!! Now a banned spray/lotion list has started!

jim thornton
February 25th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Well, it doesn't take long to find reasons why ONLY REAL SWIMMERS will spray themselves with Teflon!

DuPont scientists list the hallmark human symptoms of polymer fume fever as tightness of chest, malaise, shortness of breath, headache, cough, chills, temperatures between 100 and 104°F, and sore throat, based on a survey of complaints registered by workers who were struck by the illness. Based on this suite of symptoms, cases of polymer fume fever from home exposures could easily be mistaken for the common flu. The toxic particles and gases identified as Teflon offgas products...

I may just have to stick with clarified butter, myself. And avoid any meets too close to Thanksgiving...

ande
February 25th, 2011, 01:23 PM
also for long swims it's helpful to use something like vaseline in places where you're likely to chaffe, either from rubbing yourself or your suit.

ie: If I haven't shaved my face and I'm doing a long freestyle swim,
theres a spot on my right deltoid where my cheek rubs and irritates.
some swimmers get chaffed where their suit straps touch their skin

apply lotion to those areas

Rich Abrahams
February 25th, 2011, 01:40 PM
I may just have to stick with clarified butter, myself. And avoid any meets too close to Thanksgiving...[/QUOTE]

And avoid large pots of boiling water

analazy
February 26th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Of course it helps! Keeps your skin moisturized after being brutally “damage” by the shaver:bitching:
:bolt:

A.K.
February 26th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Back in the day, slight use of baby oil and making sure you don't get any on your hands(wash off after application) feet and inside of arms. This allows you to still "feel" the water

orca1946
February 28th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Will the officials get cranky at the oils/butter/crisco on the deck & blocks?

jim thornton
March 1st, 2011, 06:03 PM
I may just have to stick with clarified butter, myself. And avoid any meets too close to Thanksgiving...

And avoid large pots of boiling water

Rich, whenever you swim, it could be argued that you turn the pool into a churning, frothing maelstrom of superheated bubbles...in essence, a large pot of boiling water.

I shall take your wise counsel and avoid swimming in an adjacent lane!

orca1946
March 1st, 2011, 07:20 PM
So in MESA for nats the hot water will be flavored?????:bolt: