PDA

View Full Version : Count the yards until they get in

That Guy
February 24th, 2011, 05:36 PM
New game! Here's how to play: get in the water and swim. When you see a person emerge from one of the locker rooms, make a mental bookmark of where you are in your workout/set/swim and keep going. Once the other person starts swimming, make another mental bookmark and then subtract the difference. The number of yards or meters you swam before the other person finally started is your score!

This morning I was at the 175 mark of my standard 800 IM stroke drill warmup when I noticed another guy on the pool deck. He started swimming right after I finished my 800, yielding a score of 625. Can you beat my high score??? You can play this game as many times as you want during your workout, as long as there are slackers milling around.

To win this game you need to swim as much as possible and not waste time. If you see more than one person on the pool deck, you need to pick the right slacker. They should do several of the following:

Carefully arrange their toy pile at the end of their lane
Talk to anyone and everyone

Put on their cap, goggles, MP3 player, heart rate monitor, nose clip, earplugs, facemask, snorkel, fins, pull buoy...

Drag over a chair for their mini-whiteboard that has the workout written out on it
Oh wait no it doesn't, so they write it out there on the pooldeck
Sit with their feet in the water, just staring at the pool (this is my secret weapon! the guy this morning increased my score by around 400 just from doing this!)
Slowly lower themselves into the water inch by inch
Complain that the water is cold/warm/wet
Brawl with the noodlers (ok I've never actually seen this happen, but it would be pretty awesome wouldn't it?)

ElaineK
February 24th, 2011, 05:50 PM
If you see more than one person on the pool deck, you need to pick the right slacker. They should do several of the following:

Put on their cap, goggles, MP3 player, heart rate monitor, nose clip, earplugs, facemask, snorkel, fins, pull buoy... :afraid:

Drag over a chair for their mini-whiteboard that has the workout written out on it
Oh wait no it doesn't, so they write it out there on the pooldeck
Sit with their feet in the water, just staring at the pool (this is my secret weapon! the guy this morning increased my score by around 400 just from doing this!)
Complain that the water is cold/warm/wet :lmao:
Brawl with the noodlers (ok I've never actually seen this happen, but it would be pretty awesome wouldn't it?) :ohyeah:

My score would be huge if I kept track of the noodlers, starting from the point of, "Slowly lower themselves into the water inch by inch". And, of course, they always complain about the water being too cold, at 85 degrees! :shakeshead:

I guess your game is one way to make your swims more interesting- and entertaining! :applaud:

poolraat
February 24th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Put on their cap, goggles, snorkel, fins, pull buoy...
Complain that the water is cold/warm/wet

Now you're talkin about me! :D

That Guy
February 24th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Now you're talkin about me! :D

Poolraat, let's work together on this to push the high score into the 4-digit range! :cheerleader: I'll swim and you do whatever it is that you do.

poolraat
February 24th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Poolraat, let's work together on this to push the high score into the 4-digit range! :cheerleader: I'll swim and you do whatever it is that you do.

What's funny about this is I can score just about the same on the other (slackers) here. :bolt:

swimshark
February 24th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I swim with a team, do they count? We all get in together as in "dive on the 5:00 on the clock" together. Now if you are talking non-team mates, I'd be well over 2000 when I see the next person on deck since our team is in 45 min before the pool opens to the public.

jethro
February 24th, 2011, 07:42 PM
I'm sure you could be pushing 1,000 if your score is based on me. It takes me a while to get going at 6 am!

Speedo
February 24th, 2011, 07:44 PM
This morning I was at the 175 mark of my standard 800 IM stroke drill warmup when I noticed Another Guy on the pool deck.A cousin...?

swimshark
February 24th, 2011, 07:48 PM
A cousin...?

Love it!

That Guy
February 24th, 2011, 07:50 PM
I swim with a team, do they count? We all get in together as in "dive on the 5:00 on the clock" together. Now if you are talking non-team mates, I'd be well over 2000 when I see the next person on deck since our team is in 45 min before the pool opens to the public.

Hmm. I guess a person who is waiting for pool availability doesn't count. Teammates who stroll in late and take their time getting in the water... they are the ones to watch.

swimshark
February 24th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Hmm. I guess a person who is waiting for pool availability doesn't count. Teammates who stroll in late and take their time getting in the water... they are the ones to watch.

Strolling in late doesn't happen with us. We are expected to be on deck 10 min before practice starts (so 4:35am) and start stretching once we walk in. The coach will set a time when everyone has to be at the end of the pool, caps and goggles on and ready to dive in. We all dive together. Someone comes in late and the afternoon practice does push ups. This is an age group team.

jaadams1
February 24th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Teammates who stroll in late and take their time getting in the water... they are the ones to watch.

I'm gonna have to give this a shot next time That One Gal (no relation to That Guy) shows up at practice. Yards counting start AFTER she's on deck in her suit, correct? I pretty sure I can get close to 1000 with this one!! :banana: All depends on how cold the water is...that's the biggie!!

couldbebetterfly
February 24th, 2011, 08:06 PM
New game! Here's how to play: get in the water and swim. When you see a person emerge from one of the locker rooms, make a mental bookmark of where you are in your workout/set/swim and keep going. Once the other person starts swimming, make another mental bookmark and then subtract the difference. The number of yards or meters you swam before the other person finally started is your score!

And I thought I was the only one who played this game!

Scored just 150 this morning - twice actually so does that make it 300?

Firstly, Green Hat Guy, who is a regular always ambles up to the starting block end of the pool (locker rooms are at the other end) stretches a while, faffs with his goggles and eventually gets going. I can usually do 6-8 lengths in the meantime.

But there was a new one today - she actually walked into the lobby before me - I did a full change into my suit in the locker room, while she went straight to the pool deck, I came out, faffed with my stuff for a min or 2 then got in to swim and did 6 lengths while she was still dangling her feet in the water.

And (today was obviously a good day for this stuff) there was a water walker already in lane 10, who actually walked 1 length to my 8 - does that score?

That Guy
February 24th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Yards counting start AFTER she's on deck in her suit, correct? I pretty sure I can get close to 1000 with this one!!

Yes, you've got it right. Post your results here, whether it's a new high score or not!

That Guy
February 24th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Scored just 150 this morning - twice actually so does that make it 300?

No, that's 150. Play as many times as you like, but they're all separate.

And (today was obviously a good day for this stuff) there was a water walker already in lane 10, who actually walked 1 length to my 8 - does that score?

In a different game perhaps :D

EJB190
February 24th, 2011, 08:25 PM
How could you cheat at this game?

WEARING FINS :applaud:

In the time it took you to swim 625 yards, you could have done say 925 with fins on, therefore inflating the Slacker Score™ of the person you are observing.

:worms::bolt:

I like this game though. I will have to try it out.

Other things to consider...
- Taking a kickboard and then going back to get a different one
- Spending 3hrs to sort through all the pull buoys to find the "right" one
- OCD stacking of kickboards, pull buoys, noodles, etc
- Fumbling through their phone

Can stretching be included?

ElaineK
February 24th, 2011, 09:39 PM
A cousin...?

:lmao: I am literally LAUGHING as I type! :applaud:

That Guy
February 24th, 2011, 10:19 PM
How could you cheat at this game?

WEARING FINS :applaud:

In the time it took you to swim 625 yards, you could have done say 925 with fins on, therefore inflating the Slacker Score™ of the person you are observing.

:worms::bolt:

I like this game though. I will have to try it out.

Other things to consider...
- Taking a kickboard and then going back to get a different one
- Spending 3hrs to sort through all the pull buoys to find the "right" one
- OCD stacking of kickboards, pull buoys, noodles, etc
- Fumbling through their phone

Can stretching be included?

Yep, you can wear fins. And stretching definitely counts. That way I might be able to capitalize on Calisthenics Man of Swimming Stereotypes fame (and he is not my cousin, he has more of a creepy-uncle vibe :eeew:).

jaadams1
February 24th, 2011, 10:29 PM
How about meet warmups at events? I'm usually in warmups at the beginning (still to beat That Guy into the water. On a side note: It seems That Guy at the last meet possibly disobeyed the one hand on deck/slide in carefully rule to beat me into the water, upon announcement of pool open for warmup). I have noticed that I can usually get my entire warmup done before others even get in...although they have been in their suit watching everyone else warm up. Would this yardage also count for this game??? :banana:

orca1946
February 24th, 2011, 10:48 PM
So - no rules to up your yards?:bolt:

jaadams1
February 24th, 2011, 10:50 PM
So - no rules to up your yards?:bolt:

You mean like double bonus coupons?? Or Triple Tuesdays??? :bliss:

That Guy
February 24th, 2011, 11:02 PM
How about meet warmups at events? I'm usually in warmups at the beginning (still to beat That Guy into the water. On a side note: It seems That Guy at the last meet possibly disobeyed the one hand on deck/slide in carefully rule to beat me into the water, upon announcement of pool open for warmup). I have noticed that I can usually get my entire warmup done before others even get in...although they have been in their suit watching everyone else warm up. Would this yardage also count for this game??? :banana:

Yes, meet warmups count, but because some swimmers take their warmups later if they're not in any early events, let's say that the person has to be just in their swimsuit, not clothed or semi-clothed (or naked for that matter. Did Jazz Hands ever do hot yoga, forcing Geek to fulfill his promise to swim a nekkid 200 fly? Do I even want to know the answer to this? Forget I said anything.) I agree that meet warmups could be a good way to post a big number in this game.

As for last weekend's meet, it is indeed possible that I disobeyed a directive. As soon as they said the warmup pool was open, I jumped in the water before jaadams1 and thus I missed anything else that might have been said. No regrets here! :bliss:

poolraat
February 25th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Here's a different twist on this game. I'm one that likes to fiddle around and take my time getting started. A few of the swimmers here jump right in and go. They're usually 50-100 ahead of me when I start. I like to see how long it takes until Ive caught them with the goal being before I finish my warmup swim which is usually 300-400.

aquageek
February 25th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I find this dumb and petty. Who cares how long it takes someone else to get in the pool or how much extra garbage yardage you can do while they go through their routine.

On a separate topic - this has been Speedo's week, from Bieber font to the web's hottest blog to some awesome sets, he's on fire.

thewookiee
February 25th, 2011, 09:28 AM
I find this dumb and petty. Who cares how long it takes someone else to get in the pool or how much extra garbage yardage you can do while they go through their routine.

Agreed. If you are focused on how much you can do while waiting to see when someone else gets in the water, then you aren't really focused on what you have come to do.

That Guy
February 25th, 2011, 10:05 AM
On a separate topic - this has been Speedo's week, from Bieber font to the web's hottest blog to some awesome sets, he's on fire.

Yes, Speedo is having a good week. And "on fire" is the perfect metaphor, since many of the blog comments burn away, never to be seen again.

The Fortress
February 25th, 2011, 11:20 AM

I think he's proving Tall Paul's "less is more" adage. Since he ditched the Lezak routine and took weeks off for lasik, he's become a sprinting maniac. I am about to depart for our Thursday speed workout, hoping I don't get trounced.

Chris Stevenson
February 25th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I'm usually the one on the deck, or strolling in late. Sometimes I miss the entire warmup (which is almost always 1000 yards for the masters group), I almost always miss 200-400 yards of it.

So for me, the game is: in the very first set how badly can I trounce all the goody-two-shoes, get there 10 minutes early coach's pet suckups who did the entire warmup? :bolt:

That Guy
February 25th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I'm usually the one on the deck, or strolling in late. Sometimes I miss the entire warmup (which is almost always 1000 yards for the masters group), I almost always miss 200-400 yards of it.

So for me, the game is: in the very first set how badly can I trounce all the goody-two-shoes, get there 10 minutes early coach's pet suckups who did the entire warmup? :bolt:

I only scored 325 this morning. Calisthenics Man was in the locker room but I didn't see him in the pool area.

stillwater
February 25th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I warm up on the first set.

I pick and choose my sets to push hard also. For me it's not how far I swim, it's the clock, the darn clock. The clock of truth.

couldbebetterfly
February 25th, 2011, 03:16 PM

Its a good challenge on kick...you can actually watch them working up to getting in the water as you kick to the end and see who makes it first. If they're still not in and you've not finished the set, try and get another 50 in before they get wet......

Agreed. If you are focused on how much you can do while waiting to see when someone else gets in the water, then you aren't really focused on what you have come to do.

I find it best not to focus on the leg pain when I kick.

jaadams1
February 26th, 2011, 12:25 AM
I only scored 325 this morning. Calisthenics Man was in the locker room but I didn't see him in the pool area.

Aahhhh...you beat me again!! 225 was my high score tonight. :banana: It's still a personal best, so nothing to worry about, always room for improvement. I played tonight at the YMCA pool with a guy that is a somewhat regular (about as often as I'm a regular at the YMCA). I saw him come out of the lockerroom, and proceeded to just swim freestyle until he got swimming, lucky for me he wasn't dilly-dallying that much. :) He hopped in the lane with me to swim, and after he and I both stopped at the wall together I let him know I scored 225 points. He was like "HUH???" I explained to him a little about this game. He was just amused, and said that on a normal day I probably would have scored more against him, he was just quicker into the pool tonight.

norascats
February 26th, 2011, 07:43 PM
You guys aren't working very hard if you have time to make all these observations while working out.

That Guy
February 26th, 2011, 07:43 PM
I rolled a 300 today. Great in bowling, but mediocre in this game. An elderly man did the stand-there-staring-at-the-pool thing for a while. I was in the middle of an anaerobic fly set with long intervals. If he had appeared while I was doing something aerobic with less rest time, I could have posted a bigger number.

aquageek
February 26th, 2011, 07:52 PM
You guys aren't working very hard if you have time to make all these observations while working out.

Right on!

pmccoy
February 26th, 2011, 08:23 PM
I kind of agree but I think many of the people playing this game are far better swimmers than I am. I'm pretty oblivious to what is going on beyond my adjacent lanes. Might be something to play during long kick sets. But in our pool, there aren't a lot of people hanging out on the deck for reasons other than to wait for a lane. The only really peculiar behaviour I've seen is the complete opposite of people taking their time to get in the pool. We have this one guy who beelines straight from the locker room to the pool, bellyflops into a lane and sprints for 50 yards... sometimes 100. Then, he gets out, heads straight back to the locker rooms, dresses and leaves. It can be quite a shock if you are swimming in the lane next to the one he enters. IF I saw him coming, I might score 5 yards. Is there a contest for least yards swum before your mark enters the pool?

That Guy
February 26th, 2011, 08:49 PM

1200 total fly today, all of it at 200 race pace or faster. That's the 25th time this year I've done at least 1000 fly in a workout. Thank you, please drive through.

jaadams1
February 26th, 2011, 09:31 PM

I invite you to come work out with me some day!! I could use a little something else to look at while I'm swimming... :afraid:
If anything, it would be cool to have a teammate for my 7 x 300 Flys set!! :banana: Side note: The last 4 are broken at 150s, 100s, 50s, & 25s...so it's not really that difficult...although the intervals I go on make it fun!!

BTW That Guy...I wasn't able to score anything higher than about 100 today. The same guy walked through the door today, saw me eyeing him... :) And said "I'm not going to let you score much on me today!!" So, in a way, by playing this game, we're actually helping our fellow swimmers get into their workout faster!!

ElaineK
February 27th, 2011, 04:56 PM
That Guy and James: Your swim workouts are :afraid:!!! And, congratulations to both of you on your Top Ten rankings for 2010!!!
:bow:

jaadams1
February 27th, 2011, 06:33 PM
That Guy and James: Your swim workouts are :afraid:!!! And, congratulations to both of you on your Top Ten rankings for 2010!!!

Muchas gracias muchacha!! Me gusta mucho a hacer lo mas dificil que es posible cada dia. Despues de una practica si no estoy respirando fuerte, me dice que no estoy nadando muy duro. Tres mil en cada hora es perfecto para mi!!

Good luck with the espanol!

That Guy
February 27th, 2011, 06:34 PM

Thanks Elaine! Today I only scored a measly 150, but more importantly, an idea popped into my head during the workout. I came up with one simple way to incorporate the constructive suggestions posted by aquageek, pmccoy, orca1946, and jaadams1. New rule, effective now: every time someone posts something negative about this game or the people playing it, the last score posted gets doubled. Problem, haters? :D

aquageek
February 27th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Thanks Elaine! Today I only scored a measly 150, but more importantly, an idea popped into my head during the workout. I came up with one simple way to incorporate the constructive suggestions posted by aquageek, pmccoy, orca1946, and jaadams1. New rule, effective now: every time someone posts something negative about this game or the people playing it, the last score posted gets doubled. Problem, haters? :D

Then you can feel doubly good about how much better you are than everyone else! It's a win-win for you!

ElaineK
February 27th, 2011, 06:50 PM

:applaud: :banana: :cheerleader:

Now, James, I may be a native Californian (and spent most of my life in San Diego), but I never did learn much Spanish. :blush: So, I think I'll need just a weeeeee bit of help on that one!

That Guy
February 27th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Muchas gracias muchacha!! Me gusta mucho a hacer lo mas dificil que es posible cada dia. Despues de una practica si no estoy respirando fuerte, me dice que no estoy nadando muy duro. Tres mil en cada hora es perfecto para mi!!

Good luck with the espanol!

No utiliza un sitio de web de traducción es realmente tan difícil... y es divertido, desde el resultado siempre parece como líneas de una película mala kung fu.

ElaineK
February 27th, 2011, 06:57 PM
No utiliza un sitio de web de traducción es realmente tan difícil... y es divertido, desde el resultado siempre parece como líneas de una película mala kung fu.

Yikes! You, too??? :help:

That Guy
February 27th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Yikes! You, too??? :help:

Use online translation sites like babelfish.yahoo.com, translate.bing.com, etc.

a moose once bit my sister...

ElaineK
February 27th, 2011, 07:07 PM
a moose once bit my sister...

:afraid:

That Guy
February 27th, 2011, 07:10 PM
:afraid:

Wow, there's even merchandise now.

http://shop.cafepress.com/a-moose-once-bit-my-sister

ElaineK
February 27th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Use online translation sites like babelfish.yahoo.com,

"Muchas gracias muchacha!! Me gusta mucho a hacer lo mas dificil que es posible cada dia. Despues de una practica si no estoy respirando fuerte, me dice que no estoy nadando muy duro. Tres mil en cada hora es perfecto para mi!!"

Translates to:
"Thank you very much girl! I like much to do but the difficult thing that every day is possible. After one she practices if I am not breathing strong, says to me that I am not swimming very hard. Three thousands in hourly are perfect for my!"

:notworking: :whiteflag:

:chug:

That Guy
February 27th, 2011, 07:15 PM
"Muchas gracias muchacha!! Me gusta mucho a hacer lo mas dificil que es posible cada dia. Despues de una practica si no estoy respirando fuerte, me dice que no estoy nadando muy duro. Tres mil en cada hora es perfecto para mi!!"

Translates to:
"Thank you very much girl! I like much to do but the difficult thing that every day is possible. After one she practices if I am not breathing strong, says to me that I am not swimming very hard. Three thousands in hourly are perfect for my!"

That's actually how James talks. :bolt:

ElaineK
February 27th, 2011, 07:19 PM

:lmao: :rofl:

Celestial
February 27th, 2011, 09:51 PM

I like how you think! I get there as soon as my crazy life lets me get there! And I have long hair! (Takes a bit longer to get in the cap) - so my little game is to see how fast I can catch up on all the yardage people supposedly have on me - kinda like I give them a handicap - and at the end we compare "scores" - oh, you got in 15 minutes before me and stayed 15 minutes longer? How far? Gee, I only did 1500 more than you did! (Not that I get to say the last sentence out loud!!)

My other favorite is watching the people who must have a lane to themselves. Bless them, they are trying to be polite, but if we have a workout going on with 5 people in a lane for 4 lanes, one kinda slow lane with three people & the other 3 lanes are for noodlers, they really ought to just jump in & swim right? But they will waste almost their entire lunch hour waiting for a lane to clear. Some days we have pity on them & invite them to come in & circle with us (they always refuse) but most of the time - we just wonder why they bothered to change into their suits!

*just a side note - our "workout" is just a bunch of us who choose to workout together, no coach, no fees, no real structure, and we do not have reserved lane space - ever.

jaadams1
February 27th, 2011, 10:11 PM

You do know direct word for word translations are not 100% correct, but you got the idea. And a good laugh at my expense!! :rofl::lmao:

jaadams1
February 27th, 2011, 10:17 PM

Translates to:

:notworking: :whiteflag:

:chug:

Thanks Elaine!! :afraid:

I am married to a Salvadoreanian (El Salvador), and we are a bi-lingual family. I'm about 70% of the way there, so it may be broken spanish at times, but I still get by. Plus in my job, I'm the minority as far as spoken language, so Spanish helps me a lot.

pmccoy
February 27th, 2011, 10:20 PM
New rule, effective now: every time someone posts something negative about this game or the people playing it, the last score posted gets doubled. Problem, haters? :D
Oh please! Adding girlie rules to a bad game isn't going to improve it.:bolt:

jaadams1
February 27th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Oh please! Adding girlie rules to a bad game isn't going to improve it.:bolt:

How about making another girlie rule of NO CALCULATORS to multiply by 2, see who can still do it right... :groovy:

That Guy
February 27th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Wow, my paltry 150 became 1200 just like that. Thanks guys!

jaadams1
February 28th, 2011, 12:01 PM
This morning I got a high score of 1200!! (and that's without using any score doubling methods). The one swimmer had Monday-morning-itus:cane:, and she just didn't want to get in the pool today!! :applaud: That's good for me. I could have scored even more if I would have jumped in and started swimming right away also, but I sat there for a couple of minutes too. :)

:ohyeah: :groovy::thewave:

That Guy
February 28th, 2011, 12:54 PM
This morning I got a high score of 1200!! (and that's without using any score doubling methods). The one swimmer had Monday-morning-itus:cane:, and she just didn't want to get in the pool today!! :applaud: That's good for me. I could have scored even more if I would have jumped in and started swimming right away also, but I sat there for a couple of minutes too. :)

New high score to jaadams1! Please choose your prize:

a) fake beer :chug:
b) fake money :2cents:
c) fake Canadians :canada::canada:

jaadams1
February 28th, 2011, 01:00 PM

d) fake all of the above

I choose D. I use the fake :2cents: to get some fake :canada::chug:!!???

pmccoy
February 28th, 2011, 01:11 PM

Maybe I could come up with something negative to say and double that score for you.

ElaineK
February 28th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Thanks Elaine!! :afraid:

I am married to a Salvadoreanian (El Salvador), and we are a bi-lingual family. I'm about 70% of the way there, so it may be broken spanish at times, but I still get by. Plus in my job, I'm the minority as far as spoken language, so Spanish helps me a lot.

:applaud::applaud::applaud: I admire your bilingual abilities!

ElaineK
February 28th, 2011, 01:35 PM

Bravo to James for his point total and :applaud: to That Guy for his choices of fake prizes; especially the fake beer.) You get a :cheerleader: for your excellent use of Smilies! And, another :cheerleader: to James for his excellent Smilie choices, too!

jaadams1
March 1st, 2011, 01:47 PM
Only scored 325 today...

couldbebetterfly
March 1st, 2011, 01:50 PM
Big fat zero here :(

In fact it was me that sat on the side for a minute or 2 coming to terms with the drop in the water temp.....maybe it was just warmer on deck?

That Guy
March 1st, 2011, 01:51 PM
Only scored 325 today...

Well you outscored me 325-0 since I did not swim today.

jaadams1
March 1st, 2011, 03:35 PM
Well you outscored me 325-0 since I did not swim today.

Today's not over yet...always an evening lap swim at some overheated YMCA somewhere! :afraid:

ElaineK
March 1st, 2011, 04:57 PM
Today's not over yet...always an evening lap swim at some overheated YMCA somewhere! :afraid:

You're sure to score a lot of points there, especially if there is an evening noodling class! :rolleyes:

White Lightning
March 2nd, 2011, 09:30 AM
I swim with our city's 1st team here in Germany, and can't get much higher than 50 points. Tried it several times. These kids are serious.

It would be a differnt story if I went back and swam with the seniors.

jaadams1
March 2nd, 2011, 03:14 PM
950 points for me today. I'm even choosing a different person every time, rather than just being a repeat offender...
I think it helps that I swim at 5:00am...when most people are coming to the pool not exactly ready and willing. :applaud:

That Guy
March 2nd, 2011, 03:38 PM
I got maybe 100 points today. Oh well, can't win em all.

no200fly
March 2nd, 2011, 03:58 PM
I got maybe 100 points today. Oh well, can't win em all.

I have kind of a different outlook. In our workouts, the coach is always there early and a lot of people get to the pool early and start the warm up. Since there is no "i" in team, I take the position that I get to count any yards that the people in my lane (teammates) have completed before I get in. I don't double count - but count the maximum yards completed by someone in my lane before I get in.

Today, I got to workout a little early so I was only +300 yards.

no200fly
March 2nd, 2011, 04:02 PM
Big fat zero here :(

In fact it was me that sat on the side for a minute or 2 coming to terms with the drop in the water temp.....maybe it was just warmer on deck?

Come down to Town North Y - the water had to be close to 88 today - you will never worry about a drop in the water temp again. Main set today was 18 100's - not a good day for hot water.

jaadams1
March 3rd, 2011, 10:52 AM
Scored a -400 this morning... :) That's how good I was feeling about swimming today. I just stood there on the deck and watched the others all swim back and forth for a while. After I finally dove in, I didn't have much pep in my step to get anything accomplished. Oh well. Tomorrow's another day. :bed:

That Guy
March 3rd, 2011, 01:13 PM
Scored a -400 this morning... :) That's how good I was feeling about swimming today. I just stood there on the deck and watched the others all swim back and forth for a while. After I finally dove in, I didn't have much pep in my step to get anything accomplished. Oh well. Tomorrow's another day. :bed:

Well. Umm. So... you've got the high score and the low score, so I guess you're pretty much running this game. :chug:

swimshark
March 3rd, 2011, 01:25 PM
I was able to play today. My husband is out of town so no age group practices for me. So I swam during open swim at the pool. With one guy I got in 235 yards. With another I got in 425 yards. He took his time, stretched and then sat on the edge of the pool before getting in. At the end of the workout we started talking and it turns out he's a friend of one of my coaches. I tried to talk to him in to coming to our practices (my coach is working on him as well). He is a good swimmer!

couldbebetterfly
March 3rd, 2011, 02:20 PM
Come down to Town North Y - the water had to be close to 88 today - you will never worry about a drop in the water temp again. Main set today was 18 100's - not a good day for hot water.

'tis a bit far for me :) And I do prefer it cooler to hotter :)

The pool temp still seems on the cool side, but great once you get going - there's always that little brr moment when you first get in, but the brr lasted longer today - all the way to the other end of the pool in fact.

Back to the game though, today's score is 300 from when I first noticed green hat guy, by which time he was at the other end of the pool with his hat on doing some stretches, so I missed the opportunity to count as he walked the length of the pool and put his hat on.

I was doing the tail end of 50s fly followed by an IM drill set, so it wasn't 300 continuous swim.

And I got an extra 50 in in the time between him entering the pool and starting his workout. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

jaadams1
March 6th, 2011, 02:35 AM
At my SCM Meet warmup I scored a +200 on the whole field...at least that was when the 2nd person entered the water for warmups after me. :banana::banana:

couldbebetterfly
March 31st, 2011, 09:50 PM
This one started in the locker room......

I get there and there's a lady already in her swimsuit chatting to her friend in the locker room. I change into my suit and we actually get on the poolside at the same time. I swim 500 yards while they continue their conversation. I swim 6 x 100 IMs while they do 4 single 25s. Then I hit the fly so start concentrating on my own workout :D

So perhaps only a score 500, but I think it deserves more.

ElaineK
April 1st, 2011, 01:37 PM
So perhaps only a score 500, but I think it deserves more.

:applaud: Good job, 'Fly! Give yourself another 100, at least. :bump:

Hey, 'Fly, are you going to Mesa? I can't rememeber what you wrote in a past PM and I don't know your last name to look you up. I hope you're going! :)

couldbebetterfly
April 1st, 2011, 03:18 PM
:applaud: Good job, 'Fly! Give yourself another 100, at least. :bump:

Hey, 'Fly, are you going to Mesa? I can't rememeber what you wrote in a past PM and I don't know your last name to look you up. I hope you're going! :)

Not this year - I'm not swimming fast enough to be worth it to me - if that makes sense? Maybe I'll do Nationals next year...400IM debut perhaps?....we'll see....

ElaineK
April 1st, 2011, 04:51 PM
Not this year - I'm not swimming fast enough to be worth it to me - if that makes sense? Maybe I'll do Nationals next year...400IM debut perhaps?....we'll see....

Oh, that's right; you told me that! I must be the only crazy one to travel across country to swim four events- and be seeded almost at the bottom in three of them. :blush:

Sorry you won't be there, 'Fly! LCM Nats. in Auburn, perhaps???