PDA

View Full Version : shoulder impingement?

calisummer
March 6th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Hi all! I was recently diagnosed with a shoulder impingement...anyone have some exercises I could do to make it better?

I swam on Thursday and ended up kicking most of the time or doing some 1 arm swimming. (Surprisingly, it felt a lot better the following day! But its killing me now!)

Any advice? I've been swimming for over 20 years and this is the first type of shoulder pain I've had!

Thanks!

gobears
March 7th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Hi calisummer, I had impingement problems about 9 years ago. Had been a swimmer for years before that. Here's what worked for me. Rest it. Cross-train for awhile. Take up something you haven't done and make that your primary activity. I'd recommend physical therapy. Do your physical therapy exercises religiously. If you kick do not use a board and keep that arm to your side while kicking (overhead streamlining will probably aggravate the problem). When you start in swimming again go slow (fins and a lot of kicking worked for me).

It took a few months for my shoulder to heal but it did. I'm still doing my shoulder exercises with a Theraband at least once a week.

Good luck and hang in there.

pendaluft
March 7th, 2011, 09:41 AM
These exercises really helped me:

http://www.usaswimming.org/ViewMiscArticle.aspx?TabId=1645&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en&mid=702&ItemId=700

seaotter
March 7th, 2011, 01:04 PM
I like the earlier post and I'm going to expand my exercise set to include them. I've doing the following exercises to good success. YouTube - Rotator Cuff Exercises

calisummer
March 15th, 2011, 11:40 PM
great link!! thanks!!

santapookie
March 25th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Very awesome links... I stupidly didn't do anything to prevent it when I knew it was a risk for me, and I'm in the same boat now - very sore shoulders (to put it mildly). :'(