PDA

View Full Version : Breast Stroke

schrade60
March 7th, 2011, 02:10 PM
My Daughter is 9 years and she has been swimming in the local club since last summer. I would like to know what type and descriptions of excerises she should be doing to built up strength in legs and shoulders for teh breast strokd along with free style.

i have read surgical tubing with pads for teh shoulders. Is this a good excersise?

Allen Stark
March 9th, 2011, 10:34 PM
There is much disagreement about resistance exercises for pre-pubertal children.At that age I think I'd just let her swim.

Glenn
March 9th, 2011, 10:44 PM
I agree with Allen, let her swim and have fun. Don't worry about strength training. She is too young for that now. Besides, she will get all the strength training she needs right now with a proper stroke.

KevinS
March 10th, 2011, 09:37 AM
I don't let any of the kids I coach weight train with the team until they are high school age. For one, it is for supervision reasons, and two research has shown that resistance training is not effective and can be damaging to younger children if not implemented and supervised correctly. That being said, we do plenty of body weight resistance exercises for younger kids - actually my older kids get a great work out from them as well (wall squats, body rows, chair dips, push ups, sit ups....) Most children can support their own weight, and as they grow their weight increases, keeping the workout challenging. Those exercises should still be taught for proper technique and supervised for younger kids. But they have fun with it.

But as others have said, at that young of an age, strengthening muscles through proper stroke technique in swimming is probably the most beneficial in making them stronger/faster swimmers. Don't get too serious too quick with her, keep it fun so she continues to enjoy it for years to come. A 9 year olds primary job in swimming is to have a good time. As a coach I would rather see a 9 year old smile and have fun with the sport, than to constantly worry about improving time.

ande
March 10th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Here's an article from a talk Coach Eddie Reese gave (http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=218118&postcount=1475) about exercises that are appropriate for kids of various ages

Read Swim Faster Faster (http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=237620&postcount=1588)

My opinion is let kids be kids, avoid too much parental involvement in their athletics, it's a mistake to appear to care more about swimming than the child does. Parents are nutty, we'll go to the ends of the earth to help our children accomplish their dreams. Spare no expense.

Here's some useful info for parents of swimmers (http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=237809&postcount=15)

my suggestion for training 10 & unders is:
+ let them have fun with friends at swim practice while training hard, (send em home tired and happy)
+ perfect technique by doing technique games,
+ practice racing by doing games in the pool,
+ do acceptable dryland exercises that are game oriented and fun,
+ build self esteem and confidence &
+ learn basic mental techniques to use in swimming and other areas of their lives.

Glenn
March 10th, 2011, 12:36 PM
You know those monkey bars in the playground? The reason they are there is for kids to develop upper body strength while climbing and having fun.

Glenn Gruber (retired elementary physical education teacher)

Karl_S
March 11th, 2011, 04:15 PM
You know those monkey bars in the playground? The reason they are there is for kids to develop upper body strength while climbing and having fun.

Glenn Gruber (retired elementary physical education teacher)

I'm glad someone brought this up. My daughter is keen to improve her strength after some comments by her coach that her stroke is very good, but she lacks power. I've read what Eddie Reese says about kids and training, and agree that weight training seems like a bad idea. Body weight exercises, (we used to call them calisthenics) seem like the way to go for young kids. My daughter said, "I'll do the monkey bars many times every day at recess!" I am wondering about whether the "monkey bars" are a good idea. When I traverse one of those horizontal ladders by hanging from my hands, it feels like my arms are going to be pulled from their sockets! I also feel like I am getting tennis elbow. It was the same thing when I was a kid. Is this really a good exercise for building upper body strength in kids?