PDA

View Full Version : 1,000th 1650 FLY, Where will she go now?

jaadams1
March 8th, 2011, 03:06 PM
http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2011/mar/08/butterfly-success/

Here is a success story of a woman who swim with me every morning in my Masters program here in Wenatchee, WA. She just completed her 1000th 1650 Fly this morning. What an achievement!!
:thewave:

She is really an amazing person, and definitely an inspiration to watch. When I know I'm having a tough time, I just look over at what she is doing, and then realize that anything can be possible.

:cheerleader:

Congratulations Peony Munger!!
:bow: :bow: :bow:

jaadams1
March 8th, 2011, 03:20 PM
On a side note...Peony will be attending Nationals this year in Mesa, if anyone wants to meet her in person.

That Guy
March 8th, 2011, 03:28 PM
On a side note...Peony will be attending Nationals this year in Mesa, if anyone wants to meet her in person.

Will she be swimming the 1650 fly? I won't be there but I would definitely click a streaming video link to watch that.

I don't know how to swim aerobic fly so I'm sort of mystified by anyone that can, especially if they're fast.

jaadams1
March 8th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Will she be swimming the 1650 fly? I won't be there but I would definitely click a streaming video link to watch that.

I don't know how to swim aerobic fly so I'm sort of mystified by anyone that can, especially if they're fast.

I am not sure if she'll be doing the 1650 Fly, BUT...there is a chance that she may. I don't know the answer to that one off hand. It takes her between 50 minutes to an hour or more to complete it each morning, depending on how she feels...but she doesn't stop once she dives in until it's done.

ElaineK
March 8th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Wow, what an amazing woman and swimmer! Swimmer Magazine should do a story on her (hint, hint). :applaud:

thewookiee
March 8th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Why the hell would anyone want to swim fly every morning for that distance?

ElaineK
March 8th, 2011, 05:32 PM

Because, she can.

thewookiee
March 8th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Your bieber font didn't come through, must have messed up. Since you didn't have an answer, I will ask again, why? what's the point of swimming a mile fly every freaking day?

ElaineK
March 8th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Your bieber font didn't come through, must have messed up. Since you didn't have an answer, I will ask again, why? what's the point of swimming a mile fly every freaking day?

I stand by my answer. How many women- or men- of that age (or any age) can even swim a mile of fly? :afraid:

thewookiee
March 8th, 2011, 05:41 PM
stand by my answer How many women- or men- of that age (or any age) can even swim a mile of fly?

What was your answer? It didn't come through last time, must have been font issues.

Simple answer, anyone that puts in the time can train to swim a mile or farther. My question, what's the point of doing it everyday?

ElaineK
March 8th, 2011, 05:47 PM
What was your answer? It didn't come through last time, must have been font issues. Simple answer, anyone that puts in the time can train to swim a mile or farther. My question, what's the point of doing it everyday?

Because, she wants to. Isn't that good enough? :cheerleader:

thewookiee
March 8th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Because, she wants to. Isn't that good enough?

Still having color issues mrs. simpson? Why does she want too? What's the POINT of doing it fly everyday? Everyone makes fly out to be this terribly difficult stroke but if practiced correctly and practiced correctly enough, it isn't any more difficult than free or back and certainly less complicated than breastroke.

Doing it every freaking day is just boring, a lot like watching geek swim or unc basketball

That Guy
March 8th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Still having color issues mrs. simpson? Why does she want too? What's the POINT of doing it fly everyday? Everyone makes fly out to be this terribly difficult stroke but if practiced correctly and practiced correctly enough, it isn't any more difficult than free or back and certainly less complicated than breastroke.

Doing it every freaking day is just boring, a lot like watching geek swim or unc basketball

Wookiee, please post a video of your latest 200 fly. I have much to learn from you, and I can't wait to get started! :cheerleader:

thewookiee
March 8th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Wookiee, please post a video of your latest 200 fly. I have much to learn from you, and I can't wait to get started! :cheerleader:

Doug,

I have asked a question, what is the point of doing it everyday. The article doesn't address it. It's a valid question. The answers "because she can" doesn't address why she does it everyday. I would find it boring to do everyday. You know as well as I do that fly swum correctly, doesn't feel any worse than free or back at the end of races. Fly swum with poor form is very difficult for people. This lady must have good form to be able to do it everday, that's not what I am questioning. I am asking why does she do it everyday.
I will be glad to send you a video of my 200 fly, the next time I choose to race the event, which will be my decision not someone else's request.

ElaineK
March 8th, 2011, 06:15 PM

Uhhh, Wookiee, make that "breaststroke". You forgot a couple of letters while you were so busy changing my font. :D

Chris Stevenson
March 8th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Doing it every freaking day is just boring, a lot like watching ... unc basketball

Now that they have taken their rightful place atop the ACC, I can see your point. Take heart, though: you have NCAA violations aplenty a little closer to home (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6150761). I guess that's kind of interesting, or at least it distracts one from the inability to one more than one game in a row.

thewookiee
March 8th, 2011, 06:18 PM
breaststroke You forgot a couple of letters while .

No, I didn't forgot. I just don't care for that useless stroke or any of it's distances. The only benefit to breastroke events in masters swimming is to provide rest breaks for everyone else

ElaineK
March 8th, 2011, 06:21 PM
No, I didn't forgot. I just don't care for that useless stroke or any of the events. The only benefit to breastroke events in masters swimming is to provide rest breaks for everyone else

I guess it's just too complicated (your description, by the way) for you, Wookiee. :badday: Perhaps King Frog can give you a few lessons so you can step up to the plate and swim a complicated stroke. :banana:

thewookiee
March 8th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Now that they have taken their rightful place atop the ACC, I can see your point. Take heart, though: you have NCAA violations aplenty a little closer to home (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6150761). I guess that's kind of interesting, or at least it distracts one from the inability to one more than one game in a row.

Yup, first we get screwed by Lane Kiffin as he bolts to USC. Hope they enjoy their future NCAA violations that he brings. Now, we gets screwed by the best bball coach the men's team has ever been led by. Thank goodness there are still the Lady Vols bball team. At least they don't go on the NCAA watch list.

That Guy
March 8th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Doug,

I have asked a question, what is the point of doing it everyday. The article doesn't address it. It's a valid question. The answers "because she can" doesn't address why she does it everyday. I would find it boring to do everyday. You know as well as I do that fly swum correctly, doesn't feel any worse than free or back at the end of races. Fly swum with poor form is very difficult for people. This lady must have good form to be able to do it everday, that's not what I am questioning. I am asking why does she do it everyday.
I will be glad to send you a video of my 200 fly, the next time I choose to race the event, which will be my decision not someone else's request.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm guessing that it will be similar to the sort of answers that came up in the "Why Do You Swim?" thread a while back. (I think it was called that... the Advanced Search feature doesn't like to search on such generic words, so I didn't actually find it.) I look forward to watching your video! :applaud:

thewookiee
March 8th, 2011, 06:26 PM
I guess it's just too complicated (your description, by the way) for you, Wookiee.

Mrs. Simpson, please go back to tell me where I said " I can't do it" Thank You. Tell Homer "hi" for me.

thewookiee
March 8th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm guessing that it will be similar to the sort of answers that came up in the "Why Do You Swim?" thread a while back. (I think it was called that... the Advanced Search feature doesn't like to search on such generic words, so I didn't actually find it.) I look forward to watching your video! :applaud:

To write about an article about swimming fly everday without stating "why she" doesn't make sense. I think she's nuts but more power to her. Swimming the same thing everday for the majority of the practice seems boring, unless there is a "why" to it.

You will get the video, it maybe soon or it might be awhile.

cheakamus
March 8th, 2011, 06:47 PM
"Munger has fibromyalgia and arthritis and swims and plays golf for therapy."

ElaineK
March 8th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Mrs. Simpson, please go back to tell me where I said " I can't do it" Thank You. Tell Homer "hi" for me.

:wave: He's a little preoccupied with Bart at the moment, but he sends his best!

:chug:

stillwater
March 8th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I give a hearty salute to Ms. Munger. Anyone that can swim fly for 50 to 60 minutes is a star. I'm not sure that doing it in a big long crowded meet is a cool thing. I'll think about it.

Elaine, as much as I detest your color and font, don't be harsh on ole wookester, he is supposed to be editing my book about the travels of two close buddies.

It's almost done!

The Fortress
March 8th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Mrs. Simpson, please go back to tell me where I said " I can't do it"

I can personally attest, having seen Wookiee race the evil, that he is quite competent and fast.

Why? Some people thrive on routine and get extremely grumpy when their rituals are disrupted. Or maybe she also likes the attention she seems to get.

jaadams1
March 8th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Why you ask? I don't know the exact answer. She started swimming toward this goal of 1000 fly miles a couple of years before I started with Masters swimming. I do know that she calls the swim team her family. This is her group activity that she does every day. She always swims the long events in meets too...200 fly, 200 breast, 200 back, 400 IM, occasionally she'll do 100s.
Why? Because she can and will. She has lots of support from all in the LMSC at all the meets we attend. Even on the free relays that she occasionally gets placed on she chooses to swim fly. She just plain and simple loves fly. I'm kinda wondering what she'll do at practice tomorrow morning. Will she do another fly mile? Or something else?
Keep on flying Peony! :applaud:

smontanaro
March 8th, 2011, 11:11 PM

Obviously, her shoulders don't hurt enough. I did a whopping 2500 yards at practice tonight and my shoulders didn't loosen up until about the 1500 yard point. Not a single stroke of fly.

Skip

jaadams1
March 9th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Obviously, her shoulders don't hurt enough. I did a whopping 2500 yards at practice tonight and my shoulders didn't loosen up until about the 1500 yard point. Not a single stroke of fly.

Skip

You are correct in this assumption...her fly stroke is not what the traditional flyer would call fly, and is definitely not tough on the shoulders. Her arms pull downward to about the mid-chest or a little lower and recover forward again over the water. She does use a dolphin kick the whole way, rather than the "legal in masters" breaststroke kick (which I personally don't call butterfly).
Every year, on her birthday (Nov. 15th) our team does a 400 Fly along with her in the workout. I'm the only one who actually swims it continuous at a quick pace (5:10 or so). Most of the others break it up into 25s/50s/100s/etc, but still get the "required (optional)" 400 Fly done.

aquageek
March 9th, 2011, 08:50 AM
She does use a dolphin kick the whole way, rather than the "legal in masters" breaststroke kick (which I personally don't call butterfly).

This kind of annoys me. There is a reason USMS allows this kick and it is part of our rule book and USA Swimming's rule book. Fly can be quite challenging for many older swimmers and the only way they can do it is with this kick.

thewookiee
March 9th, 2011, 08:55 AM
This kind of annoys me. There is a reason USMS allows this kick and it is part of our rule book and USA Swimming's rule book. Fly can be quite challenging for many older swimmers and the only way they can do it is with this kick.

Agreed. Some people don't have the range of motion in their lower backs anymore to do the dolphin motion, so they use the breastroke kick. This is legal in masters. If a person swims a fly race with this kick, finishes the race without getting dq'd for something else, then they have swam butterfly.

orca1946
March 9th, 2011, 01:22 PM
However she does it - what a goal!!!!!:applaud::applaud:

gdanner
March 9th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I agree with wookiee that there isn't much of a benefit or purpose to doing that much straight fly regularly, at least from a competitive standpoint. IMO, it would be far more useful to break it out into sets.

However, it is definitely challenging and impressive at any age. So, if she reached her goal, congrats!

jaadams1
April 26th, 2011, 11:09 AM
http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2011/mar/08/butterfly-success/

Here is a success story of a woman who swim with me every morning in my Masters program here in Wenatchee, WA. She just completed her 1000th 1650 Fly this morning. What an achievement!!
:thewave:

She is really an amazing person, and definitely an inspiration to watch. When I know I'm having a tough time, I just look over at what she is doing, and then realize that anything can be possible.

Peony Munger is interviewed today on Swimming World TV HERE IT IS (http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/27054.asp?q=<i>The%20Morning%20Swim%20Show</i>,%20April%2026,%202011:%20Swimming%20a%20Mile%20Bu tterfly%20Each%20Day%20a%20Way%20of%20Life%20for%2 0Peony%20Munger) :cheerleader: :chug:

Popeye.Tom
April 26th, 2011, 06:26 PM

You go girl!!! :banana:

I only hope I'm doing daily miles of just freestyle when i get there!

Popeye

LoneSwimmer
April 27th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Due to her fibromyalgia it's also possible that her doing something like this has turned out to become more of addiction than anything else and perhaps the fly helps relieve some of the pain for a spell. I know when I had been suffering from sciatica due to a spine problem sometimes the only way I could ever experience any relief was to exercise like a madman. That being said the exercise was only a short term solution to the problem until I had spine surgery. Good for her if this is the only way to feel better! In a day and age when more and more people are getting obese and doing absolutely nothing kudos for her willpower most of all. Imagine how good most swimmers would be if they initiated that kind of desire and heart into their practices.

quicksilver
April 27th, 2011, 06:43 PM
why?
...because she likes getting in those frequent flyer miles. :D

Re: 1,000th 1650 FLY, Where will she go now?
The Guinness book of records. :applaud:

jaadams1
April 27th, 2011, 08:42 PM
At her last practice before Nats this morning before heading for the airport...I'll give you one guess what she did for her workout...

Another mile Fly (I assume so, but since I was walking out the door for work before she finishes who knows?)

jaadams1
August 31st, 2012, 07:07 PM
In sad news, Peony Munger died this morning about 1:00am after over a year battling with pancreatic cancer. She was well loved by all her teammates and friends in the Inland NW LMSC. She had still been swimming as much butterfly as she could until around the beginning of summer this year, when she became too sick to safely continue in the water. We will sure miss her smiling face each morning, and also those many miles of butterfly that she had done. She was never afraid of doing things that were deemed as hard, as she took the challenge head-on and didn't quit, and it shows with the types of records she holds in the LMSC:

Short Course Yards:

W70-74
200 Back, 200 Breast, 100 & 200 Fly, 200 & 400 IM
W75-79
50 Free, 200 Back, 50, 100, & 200 Breast, 50, 100, & 200 Fly, 100, 200, & 400 IM

Short Course Meters:

W75-79
200 Free, 100 & 200 Back, 200 Breast, 50, 100, & 200 Fly, 200 & 400 IM

Long Course Meters:

W70-74
100 Breast, 100 & 200 Fly, 200 & 400 IM

--------------------------------

:bow: Keep Flying Peony! :angel:

That Guy
August 31st, 2012, 07:12 PM
Rest in peace, Peony.

Yosemite
August 31st, 2012, 09:28 PM
Thank you James for informing us and listing her other swimming accomplishments. I am humbled by her story and inspired to do better.
This is the most significant story I have heard in a long time.

Bobinator
August 31st, 2012, 10:30 PM
Oh, I'm sorry to hear this news. I was inspired by Peony's amazing butterfly swims. RIP Peony.

TRYM_Swimmer
September 2nd, 2012, 10:15 AM
I believe there was an award established in memory of a swimmer for the best performance in the 400 IM and one of the Nationals? I think it would be fitting for something like this in honor of Peony for the 200 Fly.

orca1946
September 3rd, 2012, 01:41 AM
Sad news. This makes me want to try harder.