PDA

View Full Version : Starting over

raid
March 8th, 2011, 10:17 PM
After a long layoff, I am getting back into swimming and I have some questions to ask.

1. How often should I rest? I plan on practicing at least 4 or 5 times a week. Bear in mind I am going to start out very slowly.

2. Any recommendations for a goggles or swim mask? I am thinking of using a swim mask starting out.

3. What should my basic swim program entail?

4. What should I be aware of starting out?

fmracing
March 9th, 2011, 03:31 PM
After a long layoff, I am getting back into swimming and I have some questions to ask.

1. How often should I rest? I plan on practicing at least 4 or 5 times a week. Bear in mind I am going to start out very slowly.

2. Any recommendations for a goggles or swim mask? I am thinking of using a swim mask starting out.

After having 4 "starting over" attempts, I can tell you that you need to start with something you'll stick with once the newness wears off and practice becomes work again.

My problem was the 4-5 days a week thing. The first 3 times I "came back", 4-5 days a week was too much with the rest of my weekly activities. With the 4th try, I settled in on 2 days a week in the water, and worked my way up to 3. Couldn't be happier with it now :)

The Fortress
March 9th, 2011, 04:53 PM

1. Depends on how fit you are now. 4-5 x seems kinda high initially.

2. Find a comfortable goggle that fits your face and doesn't leak. You may have to experiment with a few different kinds before finding the right fit. No idea why you'd want a swim mask, though I guess some people find them comfy.

3. Depends on what your goals are, whether you want to compete and what type of swimmer you are. Check the Workout Section or Blogs for sample workouts. Incorporate kicking right away, even if you don't want to.

4. Rotator cuff exercises. This is more important than anything. Or else, you'll have a shoulder problem right outta the box.

joesflyer
March 9th, 2011, 04:57 PM
I'm also starting up after a year. I'm looking for suggestions on easing into it again and avoiding shoulder strain. How many days would be optimal? How much yardage to begin with? Should I focus on kicking or arms or what? I used to do about 2000yds/workout? What should I begin with? What has worked well for all of you who have re-entered the pool?
Thanks. Andy:banana:

Jazz Hands
March 9th, 2011, 05:03 PM
1. Optimally, you should be not swimming much more than swimming.

2. A mask would cover the nose, right? That's terrible. Speedo makes the best goggles, in general. These are my favorite: http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/5723.htm

3. This isn't your fault but nearly everyone asking for a training plan just need to read this: Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums

Somebody please sticky Ande's thread.

raid
March 9th, 2011, 05:07 PM
1. Depends on how fit you are now. 4-5 x seems kinda high initially.

2. Find a comfortable goggle that fits your face and doesn't leak. You may have to experiment with a few different kinds before finding the right fit. No idea why you'd want a swim mask, though I guess some people find them comfy.

3. Depends on what your goals are, whether you want to compete and what type of swimmer you are. Check the Workout Section or Blogs for sample workouts. Incorporate kicking right away, even if you don't want to.

4. Rotator cuff exercises. This is more important than anything. Or else, you'll have a shoulder problem right outta the box.

Thank you for the responses.

Never thought about the rotator cuff.

I also have skin issues with the chlorine , however I did a search on this forum and found a thread (http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=16300&highlight=bag+balm)for solutions.

I am not interested in competing at this time. I just want build up my cardio andtake the stress off my joints. I also would like to get the swimmer's physique. But that will take some time and the right diet.

KevinS
March 9th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I just got back into several months ago, and really into it a little over a month ago.

I let myself go, and really got out of shape and packed on extra weight. Initially I was swimming 2-3 days a week for 30 minutes at a time. I was also pairing that with some light weight lifting focusing on upper body and arms. I had some shoulder issues that pretty much ended my swimming career early in college (along with they typical competitive burn-out) - so I am extra cautious when it comes to shoulders.

I have slowly worked my way up to in 15 minute increments, and I am currently swimming 1 hour 15 minutes, to 1 hour 30 minutes 3 to four days a week.

Read through the ask Ande section, and there are a ton of tips on there. Also vary your workouts to keep it interesting, as well as challenge yourself. I coach, and I am pretty good at writing workouts for age group swimmers, I just kind of adapt those to fit my needs. The most important thing for me is to write down the workout (be realistic when you write it, but also challenge yourself). The reason I feel the need to write them down is to keep myself honest. With no coach yelling at me, if I don't have them written down, I can easily talk myself out of a set when I get tired.

The most important thing, is to set some goals for yourself - even if it is just for fun. Just like swimming when you were younger, you need to feel a sense of accomplishment, do set goals that you have to work for, but are realistic to achieve.

knelson
March 9th, 2011, 06:28 PM
2. A mask would cover the nose, right?

raid might be thinking of the mask-like goggles, though. Sort of like these: http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/1426.htm

Definitely a traditional scuba mask that covers the nose would be bad, and I can't really see why you'd want to use something like I linked above unless you are really having problems with the fit of more traditional goggles. I do see a fair number of people who use these during lap swim sessions, though.

KEWebb18
March 9th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Don't start out by doing too much or going to fast. You want to avoid shoulder injuries!

cheakamus
March 9th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I also would like to get the swimmer's physique. But that will take some time and the right diet.

Try this:

http://www.heartscanblog.org/2007/07/wheat-belly.html

The Fortress
March 9th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Never thought about the rotator cuff.

Neither did I, and then I had 2 years of ongoing tendonitis and other problems. 99.99% of masters swimmers have shoulder issues at some point. If I could have a do over, I'd have made sure my rotator cuff muscles were strong before I even started swimming. Newbies with shoulder problems are very common on these boards. Don't be one!

stillwater
March 9th, 2011, 08:09 PM
99.99% of masters swimmers have shoulder issues at some point.

While I agree 100% that you need to be shoulder cautious, I don't think that the esteemed Fortress is quite correct. Unless I finally have found something where I am in the .01 percentile.

Just be carefull and you"ll be fine.

raid
March 9th, 2011, 09:05 PM
raid might be thinking of the mask-like goggles, though. Sort of like these: http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/1426.htm

Definitely a traditional scuba mask that covers the nose would be bad, and I can't really see why you'd want to use something like I linked above unless you are really having problems with the fit of more traditional goggles. I do see a fair number of people who use these during lap swim sessions, though.

That is is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you.

AnnG
March 9th, 2011, 09:39 PM
All these posts are great advice - goggles over a mask, shoulder protection, check the forums and on line workouts, etc. But above all try to find a masters group to swim with, we have lots of fitness swimmers who just like to have the group to train with and the buddies to keep them motivated. I need to have competitions to look forward to but I think probably half our team just swims for fitness. I have made some important friendships and seriously don't know how I would cope with the rest of my life without my teammates!

Warren
March 9th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I'm also starting up after a year. I'm looking for suggestions on easing into it again and avoiding shoulder strain. How many days would be optimal? How much yardage to begin with? Should I focus on kicking or arms or what? I used to do about 2000yds/workout? What should I begin with? What has worked well for all of you who have re-entered the pool?
Thanks. Andy:banana:

I've started and stopped a few times and used to do 2000 a work out as well. I hate how long it takes to get into shape and try to do it as quickly as possible without getting injured. I have found alternating swimming and running on the treadmill works the best. Usually I swim on mon,wed,and fri; and run on the treadmill for about 30 minutes on tues, thurs, and sat. With this method You are getting a workout everyday while keeping you shoulders fresh. When you swim, go until you are tired but not exhausted. You should see your yardage increase gradually. When you get to the yardage that you want you can start you normal routine and drop the running.

raid
March 9th, 2011, 11:23 PM
All these posts are great advice - goggles over a mask, shoulder protection, check the forums and on line workouts, etc. But above all try to find a masters group to swim with, we have lots of fitness swimmers who just like to have the group to train with and the buddies to keep them motivated. I need to have competitions to look forward to but I think probably half our team just swims for fitness. I have made some important friendships and seriously don't know how I would cope with the rest of my life without my teammates!

Well, right now I need to get up to speed first but I will look into that in the future.

Ahelee Sue Osborn
March 10th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Well, right now I need to get up to speed first but I will look into that in the future.

We hear variations of this comment all the time.

If you do in fact have an accessible masters club near you, why not let a coach with a planned program and watchful eye get you up to speed?

While not all clubs are created equal, most coaches will help you through these beginning steps if you ask from the start.

My advice would be to swim very easy starting up. Begin in the cruiser lanes, not in the lane with an interval you think you should be able to hold... Make friends with swimmers of all speeds.

Pay close attention to your technique (even have yourself video-taped & critiqued - Forumites love offering this free service) and you will be less likely to develop the physical (shoulder especially) problems.

Per Jazz... 100% agree - it's not just for racing!
"3. This isn't your fault but nearly everyone asking for a training plan just need to read this: Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster
Somebody please sticky Ande's thread."

ande
March 10th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Thank you Jazz Hands I appreciate you suggesting Swim Faster Faster
and that it be made sticky.

here's the links to the:

Swim Faster Faster Index Part 1

Swim Faster Faster Index Part 2

I should probably make a new index by category to give folks quicker access to the tips they seek or need.

One problem is swimmers might not be certain which tips will give them the greatest probability for improvement. Which I've tried to address in

Ask Ande

I should probably make an index for Ask Ande so folks don't have to wade through all the pages to find out if I've addressed a similar question.

2. A mask would cover the nose, right? That's terrible. Speedo makes the best goggles, in general. These are my favorite: http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/5723.htm

3. This isn't your fault but nearly everyone asking for a training plan just need to read this: Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums (http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=4229)

ande
March 10th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Hey RAID,

Welcome to the USMS forums, here are my responses to your questions

Hope it helps & have fun.

Ande

Warren
March 11th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I'm 3 weeks into getting back into swimming and today I rediscovered the awesomeness of the most important piece of swimming equipment, the snorkel. As soon as I put it on I found flaws in the balance of my stroke and was able to correct them immediate. Also, it took stress off of my shoulders by not having to turn my head to breath. Last summer I hurt my shoulder in a body surfing accident and I took a long time off just to play it safe. Just getting back into things, I am out of shape. When I get tired and start to breath every stroke, it puts a lot of stress on my shoulders. Usually when I'm in shape I can hold my technique but when I'm tired but its nearly impossible to do that out of shape. The snorkel is a miracle worker.

AnnG
March 12th, 2011, 04:24 AM

Don't worry about how fast or in shape you are, we have a lane for every ability and speed. Shouldn't let that stop you.

raid
March 15th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Don't worry about how fast or in shape you are, we have a lane for every ability and speed. Shouldn't let that stop you.

Thank you for the encouragement.
What I mean by up to speed is that I want to be in better shape before I look into that option. I am sure there are beginner options out there but before I do that I want to feel more comfortable.

Swimmer85
July 25th, 2011, 01:09 PM

3. This isn't your fault but nearly everyone asking for a training plan just need to read this: Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums (http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=4229)

How long does your Speedo goggles last while using a cleaning solution? How many do you recommend getting over a year long training period? And do pools in general leave deposits on them by chance?

Michael Heather
July 25th, 2011, 04:19 PM

I presume the layoff was from swimming? Or exercise in general?

1. If you intend to maintain a 4-5 session per week schedule, start with it. But make sure that you do not overindulge. Go to the pool, get in and swim easily until you feel comfortable. Then decide of you want to do any more and add yardage as desired. Do you plan to practice with a group? That will help immensely.

2. Go with goggles. There are many manufacturers and styles, you will find something that you like.

3. As before, start with something easy to warm up. Let your body tell you what to add or change. If you are practicing with a club, your coach will give good suggestions. Private lessons cannot be overrated. You can get help with stroke and conditioning tips, too.

4. You are not as young as you once were. Don't expect to do great things with little preparation. See a doctor to find out if you have any existing conditions that may preclude swimming. It is one of the best exercises for many conditions, but it never hurts to get a professional opinion. Few of us on the forums are doctors, and fewer yet are MDs.

And the answer to the question you did not ask: have fun, no matter what you do. If it ain't fun, it ain't gonna work.

Swimmer85
July 26th, 2011, 07:24 PM
How long does your Speedo goggles last while using a cleaning solution? How many do you recommend getting over a year long training period? And do pools in general leave deposits on them by chance?

Does Jazz or any other board member have any answers? I am looking to buy some new goggles since the company I normally buy them from went out of business. I know Speedo tends to be the leading candidate but can some people comment on goggles not made by speedo.

I will truly appreciate any responses. Thank you for your time.

arthur
July 27th, 2011, 01:49 AM
Does Jazz or any other board member have any answers? I am looking to buy some new goggles since the company I normally buy them from went out of business. I know Speedo tends to be the leading candidate but can some people comment on goggles not made by speedo.

I will truly appreciate any responses. Thank you for your time.
I have two pairs of speedo googles for training. I don't use any cleaning solution other than soap. One for indoor and one for outdoor swimming. The indoor pair is almost 2 years old and the outdoor pair is over 2 years old. Both are going strong although the indoor pair has a few scratches from not protecting them properly.

Swimmer85
July 27th, 2011, 11:13 AM
I have two pairs of speedo googles for training. I don't use any cleaning solution other than soap. One for indoor and one for outdoor swimming. The indoor pair is almost 2 years old and the outdoor pair is over 2 years old. Both are going strong although the indoor pair has a few scratches from not protecting them properly.

Thank You Arthur for your response. Can you please tell me what model of Speedo goggles that you use?

knelson
July 27th, 2011, 01:09 PM
I use Speedo Vanquishers and they essentially last forever. I usually replace them about once a year just because they start to get dinged up and fog up more easily. If you rinse them out after every use and store them in the plastic case they come in they should last a long time. Unlike in the old days the straps and eye gasket are very durable.

Lots of people like Swedes, but I think you either love them or hate them.

arthur
July 27th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Thank You Arthur for your response. Can you please tell me what model of Speedo goggles that you use?
I have the speed socket and vanquisher. Both I find very comfortable. I also have a 3rd pair which are also speed socket that I use only for racing.

EJB190
July 27th, 2011, 02:55 PM

1. I don't see anything wrong with 4 or 5 days a week. Just don't over do it. I recommend not taking off more than 1 day in a row, because 2+ days can set you back more than you think.

2. I'm not sure why you would use a swim mask. I'd personally stick with goggles. More hydrodynamic and you won't get funny looks at the pool. If you're concerned about water leakage, get something big like speedo hydrospecs.

3. You should work on maintaining a proper technique first and foremost. Do a lot of drills. Also work on gaining comfort in the water and distance. Then ultimately speed as you get stronger in the water.

4. If you haven't swam in a long time, you might get discouraged at how quickly you get tired. Just keep working and don't give up. Know your limits though. I also recommend trying to find a swim buddy to help you stay motivated.

jaadams1
July 28th, 2011, 12:46 AM
I use Speedo Vanquishers and they essentially last forever. I usually replace them about once a year just because they start to get dinged up and fog up more easily. If you rinse them out after every use and store them in the plastic case they come in they should last a long time. Unlike in the old days the straps and eye gasket are very durable.

Lots of people like Swedes, but I think you either love them or hate them.

I go with the swedes, but for my OW swim coming up next month, I think I'm going to defect to something like the Speedo Vanquishers or something "more comfortable" for the 5K distance.