PDA

View Full Version : How long it takes to swim an optimal 200m race?

MartinK
March 9th, 2011, 03:07 AM
Hi guys I am new to this forum. :)
I am apologazie for my bad english first I am from germany.
I was a former competition- swimmer (200m backstroke) until 22-23 than took a break from sport. I comeback 2 years ago in masters swimming (30age groupe)
I had two longcourse meetings in 200m backstroke so far. The first one was one year ago on the german national masters. My time was 2:22 (1:08 first 100m)
The second one was last weekend (not shaped and tapared) and I improved to 2:20 (1:08). I am looking forward to german nationals next month.
But to be honest both races were not optimal. I feel like I am stuggling with my performence in competition.
I also guess that I have some fear to get to 100% and tast my limit in my age of 31.
Now my question how long do you guys think it takes to swim a optimal 200m race again?

knelson
March 9th, 2011, 10:00 AM
You can check out the FINA masters world rankings here:
http://www.fina.org/H2O/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=636

For your age group, the world record 200 backstroke long course is a 2:02.75 and the tenth all-time is 2:10.53, so if you can get under 2:10 you'll definitely be in an elite crowd!

I'd say a 2:20 is pretty darn good. Get down to somewhere around 2:15 and you'll definitely be in the top ten in the world for the year.

ande
March 9th, 2011, 10:42 AM
martin

I'm not sure what you're asking when you wrote:

"How long it takes to swim an optimal 200m race?"

If you've been 2:20, I'd say 2:15 or 16 would be a nice improvement and 2:10 would be really great but I think what you're asking is

how long does it take you to train to swim your best 200 bk?

My answer is, several years, but take it one season at a time.

German masters probably have a Long Course season and a short course season.

Train hard and find out how fast you can become.

Maybe Swim Faster Faster Can help you

you might also benefit from Chris Stevenson's blog (http://www.usms.org/forums/blog.php?u=6428)
he's an outstanding 200 Backstroker and has a great work ethic

Hi guys I am new to this forum. :)
I am apologazie for my bad english first I am from germany.
I was a former competition- swimmer (200m backstroke) until 22-23 than took a break from sport. I comeback 2 years ago in masters swimming (30 age groupe)
I had two longcourse meetings in 200m backstroke so far. The first one was one year ago on the german national masters. My time was 2:22 (1:08 first 100m)
The second one was last weekend (not shaped and tapared) and I improved to 2:20 (1:08). I am looking forward to german nationals next month.
But to be honest both races were not optimal. I feel like I am stuggling with my performence in competition.
I also guess that I have some fear to get to 100% and tast my limit in my age of 31.
Now my question how long do you guys think it takes to swim a optimal 200m race again?

pdjang
March 9th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Dear Martin,

I swam in the German Masters Swimming Championships when I was stationed in Germany (West - back in those days). They were a lot of fun and I hope you continue to train (for health reasons) and compete (for the excitement and fun).

I agree with Ande in terms of the meaning of your question; it is a training question.

"Optimal" should take into account your age, your past times (from your youth), your training activities and volume, your relative fitness, diet and many other factors. Very few of us can afford to train as we did when we were in our 20's - we have families and jobs - which IMHO are more important. Personally, I would avoid trying to place a judgment on your performance and simply enjoy the experience. Less pressure usually translates into better results.

One nice thought - at least I believe it - is that when you enter a new age group - you get to wipe the slate clean and start again. If you can swim faster than you did a year or two ago then I would consider that to be "optimal".

And one last thought about "fading" - when you training, try to learn the "feel" of a certain time. If you learn the "feel" of a certain speed (pace) you can duplicate that "feel" when you race.

Ande has lots of great tips! You should check them out.

Schwimming macht spass - Viel Gluck!
Philipp

martin

I'm not sure what you're asking when you wrote:

"How long it takes to swim an optimal 200m race?"

If you've been 2:20, I'd say 2:15 or 16 would be a nice improvement and 2:10 would be really great but I think what you're asking is

how long does it take you to train to swim your best 200 bk?

My answer is, several years, but take it one season at a time.

German masters probably have a Long Course season and a short course season.

Train hard and find out how fast you can become.

Maybe Swim Faster Faster (http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=237620&postcount=1588) Can help you

you might also benefit from Chris Stevenson's blog (http://www.usms.org/forums/blog.php?u=6428)
he's an outstanding 200 Backstroker and has a great work ethic

MartinK
March 9th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Hi guys thanks for your response.

@Andy yeah I read through some topic at this forum and I have to say there is a lot of great stuff out there. Its amazing!
Great work guys! :applaud:
And yeah my goal is to get to 2:16 around the next two year so I will be one of the best in my age groupe in germany.
@pdjang Yeah you right of course at the masters swimming I enjoy more the swiming and the fun factor but I still have a desire to swim a perfect race again.

My orginal question was more general:
My best preformence lifetime was at age of 21. The time was 2:12.7 (1:06.0 first half, 32.9 last 50m).
I feel like this was an optimal race for me and my swim- and athletic ability overall.

So now ten years later and only after 2 years of competition I am looking for the perfect race again :)
I know my time of 2:20 last week was ok so far. The only thing is the difference of 4 second between first and second half what make me think there is still room for improvment to accomplish a better performence.
My problem is I forgot how to swim a 200m race overall. So how I have to swim at the beginning and how in the end for me and my ability now.

So thats why I was asking how long it would take to get the right feeling for a 200m race again?

So I hope you guys got my point now.

KevinS
March 9th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I wish you the best in reaching your goals. My best race was 15 years ago. I don't think I will ever see anything near the :53 range for my 100 back again. I honestly don't know if I will ever see anything under a 1:00 in that - but who knows. It sounds like you are doing something right though.

The first thing would be to get back to being as fit as you were then. 200's really take it out of you. I found them to be some of the most tiring events, as it is a controlled sprint for the entire 200. I usually tried to get out to a good start on first 50, and back off just a little on the next 50 (still swimming hard into the walls in and out of turns), and then build back up the next 100. I would rather swim springs or distance than 200's, so I am sure someone will come along with much more solid advice.

rtodd
March 9th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Rowdy Gaines said for every day out of the pool it takes two days of training to get it back.

quicksilver
March 10th, 2011, 06:26 PM
"My best performance lifetime was at age of 21. The time was 2:12.7 (1:06.0 first half, 32.9 last 50m)."

Perhaps the best pace (for you) is to build into each 50, rather than going out too strong and experiencing a struggle at the finish. A four second drop-off on the 2nd 100 is fairly common. But it looks as if you like to even split the race. The splits were very steady (for all four 50's) on your best 200 time.

If the 1:08 pace takes too much energy to come back strong...maybe it's possible to go 1:09 and 1:09? It takes some experimenting time to find the ideal comfort level for the first 100.

I think every good 200 swimmer would agree that going out too fast can result in a slower back half of the race.

MartinK
March 11th, 2011, 04:07 AM
Thx. Quicksilver.
I am looking forward to my first rested and shaved LCM meeting this year on the german nationals.So I can better overlook my performence there.
I knew from the past that there was a gap about 4 to 5 second between a not rested LCM meeting and a rested and shaved meeting during a single session.
But I am not sure how much power and confidence I still have to get me to 100% in a competition. I feel like I have some trouble to get me to the real pain again in training and also in competition.
I am struggling with the last 3-5% which could matter in the last 50m of a 200m race. But maybe its just a time- issue and I just need more competitions overall to bring my body and my mind to the right mindset of 100%.
My training is at least more specific now than ten years ago during my lifetime pic. The most of the time I am training for my self now and belive to know what I am doing and what I need to do.
My overall kilometers/week are less than 50 -60% compare to the past.
I also not sure how big of a issue less kilometers/week are for the second half performence of my 200m race right now??

quicksilver
March 11th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Thx. Quicksilver.
My overall kilometers/week are less than 50 -60% compare to the past.
I also not sure how big of a issue less kilometers/week are for the second half performance of my 200m race right now??

You're welcome. I also practice less than 60% of where I had been 30 years ago. And by comparison, my 200 time is about 8 to 9 seconds slower. (Maybe more...as back then we used to do the old fashioned bucket turns.) That said, even with the limited pool time, I still train for endurance because that's what the 200 is. An endurance sprint. We also mix in some speed work 2 days a week.

Most adult swimmers are still strong competitors. But at the end of the day, it's more about enjoying an activity for life rather than trying to compete with a 20 year old version of one's self. :) When I rejoined the sport about 8 years ago, the first few races were fun, but also a humbling experience. For me, it was a good idea to let go of the past and establish a new time standard for the current age and stage in life.

Good luck with your training!

MartinK
April 9th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Hey guys I want to let you know I did a great job on german's national LCM.
I improved to 2:17,33 (1:07.32) and finshed first for the first time.
But I am still think there is room to improve and I am looking forward to next year reccione italy world championship.

That Guy
April 9th, 2011, 10:36 AM
But I am still think there is room to improve and I am looking forward to next year reccione italy world championship.

Good job! :applaud:

Karl_S
April 9th, 2011, 07:51 PM
That's a very good time and nice time drop from your earlier races. You are doing something right!