PDA

View Full Version : Advances Shoulder and Core Exercises

Grif
March 16th, 2011, 04:54 PM
My take on shoulder injuries is that it has a lot to do with both weaknesses in the core and the shoulder. If you have a weakness in the core more stress will be put on the shoulder joint during the pull phase of the stroke.

The first rule is to prehab - don't wait until you have a problem to try and strengthen your shoulder and core. The second is to choose dynamic exercises that challenge the core and bring the shoulder through multiple ranges of motion while performing the exercise. Proper progression MUST be used, no pain should ever occur, and every movement shoule be controlled. Follow these guidelines and you are ahead of the game.

Here is an exercise that we use with our swimmers and MLB players. Works great but make sure you progress properly.

YouTube - Grif Fig and Adam Brush - dynamic shoulder exercise

ALM
March 16th, 2011, 05:08 PM
The guy doing the demonstration is holding a ball. Is that a weighted ball? If so, how heavy is it? Are you supposed to progress to a heavier ball as you get stronger? If so, what is the maximum weight that should ever be used?

Grif
March 16th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Great question. You can start with something light, like a tennis ball and progress to a baseball or a softaball. He is holding a 2 lb ball and I don't believe you need to get much heavier than that. You can also make the exercise easier by performing it with your hands on a bench or any type of stable structure that elevates the upper body.

Hope this helps.

Rich Abrahams
March 16th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Grif,
Those are interesting looking exercises. Why wouldn't you do a version where the arm is extended in front of the head instead of out to the side? I find most swimmers extremely weak in this plane.

Rich

Grif
March 16th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Rich,

Great point! We definetly do perform this exercise in the overhead position since this is where the problem occurs most in swimming. It is just a more advanced progression so I would master this version first.

What you see in the video is what I refer to as the "T" position. We also perform this in the "Y" position or the overhead position which is what you are referring to.

If the shoulder can handle it and the core can maintain proper alignment then performing the "Y" or overhead version of this exercise is ideal. This is more specific to swimming. I agree with your point completely.

Lump
March 16th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Good stuff! I've been doing alot of core/dryland workouts instead of weights this season. These would be great to incorporate into my workout circut. Thanks!:applaud:

orca1946
March 17th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Looks as if I need to add these to the workout. Thanx for the info.

Bobinator
March 17th, 2011, 09:50 PM
I did some of the elbow plank type today, great exercise! Thanks!

Grif
March 21st, 2011, 05:32 PM
Glad you guys are incorporating and enjoying! More to come soon!

gull
March 21st, 2011, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the link. Several years ago I saw a PT who helped rehab my shoulder; she, too, was a proponent of stabilization exercises and recommended the Body Blade which looks a lot like the flexibar.

Warren
March 21st, 2011, 07:52 PM
I had a shoulder sprain last summer and it made me never want to have to deal with shoulder issues ever again so I started doing some rc excises as injury prevention. I think im going to start to incorporating these exercises along with what I'm already doing which is a few of these- http://www.usaswimming.org/ViewMiscArticle.aspx?TabId=1645&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en&mid=702&ItemId=700.

Sometimes I feel like my shoulders are being over worked with the combination of rc exercise and swimming 4 times a week. I'm going to start weight lifting too within the next 2 or 3 months. My question is how do you balance swimming, weight lifting, and rc exercises? Right now I do the rc stuff about three times a week before bed. When and how often should i do these rc exercises without over working my shoulders?

Grif
March 21st, 2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the link. Several years ago I saw a PT who helped rehab my shoulder; she, too, was a proponent of stabilization exercises and recommended the Body Blade which looks a lot like the flexibar.

The body blade works great as well. The only difference is the body blade moves in only one plane of motion and the flex-bar moves in multiple planes. Since the end of the bar moves in multiple directions it requires a bit more stabilization. That being said, both are very effective.

Grif
March 21st, 2011, 08:56 PM
I had a shoulder sprain last summer and it made me never want to have to deal with shoulder issues ever again so I started doing some rc excises as injury prevention. I think im going to start to incorporating these exercises along with what I'm already doing which is a few of these- http://www.usaswimming.org/ViewMiscArticle.aspx?TabId=1645&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en&mid=702&ItemId=700.

Sometimes I feel like my shoulders are being over worked with the combination of rc exercise and swimming 4 times a week. I'm going to start weight lifting too within the next 2 or 3 months. My question is how do you balance swimming, weight lifting, and rc exercises? Right now I do the rc stuff about three times a week before bed. When and how often should i do these rc exercises without over working my shoulders?

Always monitor your volume. If you are doing 3 sets of 10 reps of 5 different exercises and it is to much then reduce it. You can change it to 4 exercises or do 2 sets of 10 instead. In other words, don't over do it and listen to your shoulders.

I like to incorporate my shoulder exercises into my strength routine. For example, if I am doing sets of lunges I will do a shoulder stability exercise in between sets. I refer to it as an active rest. If I am doing back or upper body then I may use some shoulder stability exercises as a functional warm up. Integrating it into your program is efficient and effective.

These are just a couple ideas. I hope they help.