PDA

View Full Version : Swimming related sinus infections

ginmar711
March 17th, 2011, 11:44 AM
After reading the article in the Swimmer magazine, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with nose plugs and which one you like. Thanks.

ALM
March 17th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Go to this SwimOutlet.com page and you will see a variety of types:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/Ear_Nose_Plugs_s/333.htm

I have tried several types and the style that works the best for me is the traditional "synchro" nose clip. Almost every manufacturer has one; here is a picture of the TYR version:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/1174.htm

I have tried various brands and they do differ. Some are larger than others. So don't get discouraged if the first one you try doesn't seem to fit right - just try another brand.

It will take you a little while to get used to swimming with the clip. You have to breathe out of your mouth underwater instead of exhaling through your nose. Once you get used to it you won't even notice that you're doing it.

norascats
March 17th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I don't like them. I get anxious when I can't control the air bubble in my nose. I do carry saline nasal spray to clean out my sinuses. I don't always remember to use it.

orca1946
March 17th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Have you asked a Doc. about this problem?

Debugger
May 10th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Ok, I see it's an old subject but I got a problem.
When I did professional swimming I never used any ear plugs or nose clips. When I did flip turn or push off on the back I'm used to breath out though some water could into nose.
One of the reasons I gave up swimming was that at least once a year I had one of the following stuff: maxillary sinusitis, otitus or quinsy.
Now 1 year since I started swimming again, I face again the problem I haven't faced since I gave up swimming. From the very beginning I started to use ear plugs during workouts and do my best to dry my ears, so 10x G-d I had no otitus - the most painful thing. But since February I got ill 3! times (maxillary sinusitis, quinsy and now 1 week before the event caught a cold) so now I feel really desperate. Now I'm thinking about using nose clip for the training (not for the events) to prevent infection to get into my nose. I wonder if that helped someone with the same problem?

The Fortress
May 10th, 2011, 11:30 AM
I've had fewer sinus infections since I started using nose clips. Though I don't use them all the time in practice.

I dislike the TYR clip that Hayhawk mentioned b/c it was huge on me. In fact, I have trouble finding ones small enough to fit my nose without flying off. I like the Speedo competition nose clip (which I've had trouble finding lately and is smaller than the TYR synchro clip) and the TYR ergo nose clip.

Debugger
May 10th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I've had fewer sinus infections since I started using nose clips. Though I don't use them all the time in practice.

I dislike the TYR clip that Hayhawk mentioned b/c it was huge on me. In fact, I have trouble finding ones small enough to fit my nose without flying off. I like the Speedo competition nose clip (which I've had trouble finding lately and is smaller than the TYR synchro clip) and the TYR ergo nose clip.
Thanks. That's what I was thinking about - to use it for a while till immune system get stronger.

ALM
May 10th, 2011, 09:47 PM

"Hayhawk"???

I only used the TYR as an example. I agree with you - the TYR model is too big for me. I used to buy the Speedo but, as you said, they're getting harder to find.

Have you seen this one - it comes in different sizes:
http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/1833.htm

The Fortress
May 10th, 2011, 10:04 PM
"Hayhawk"???

I only used the TYR as an example. I agree with you - the TYR model is too big for me. I used to buy the Speedo but, as you said, they're getting harder to find.

Have you seen this one - it comes in different sizes:
http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/1833.htm

Sorry, iphone typo. :blush:

That clip looks promising! I just ordered 8 speedo competition clips in the only place I could find them on line. I hope Speedo is not discontinuing them permanently because I don't like the Speedo silicone ones nearly as much.