PDA

View Full Version : HELP please. Kicking workouts needed.

Karen Duggan
March 18th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Hello,
I've hurt my shoulder, and I can't get up. I mean, "and I can't swim." LOL
Does anybody have good kicking sets? Also, any recommendations for how long to kick for, etc? I haven't ruled out Nationals yet, so I want to try and stay in some kind of shape.
If you've had shoulder injuries in the past, please let me know if you were able to salvage your season and how?

Thanks!

jaadams1
March 18th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Hello,
I've hurt my shoulder, and I can't get up. I mean, "and I can't swim." LOL
Does anybody have good kicking sets? Also, any recommendations for how long to kick for, etc? I haven't ruled out Nationals yet, so I want to try and stay in some kind of shape.
If you've had shoulder injuries in the past, please let me know if you were able to salvage your season and how?

Thanks!

My senior year of college, I had an accident in the kitchen which cut three tendons along the back of my right hand, specifically at the base of my fingers/knuckles...this happened a month into the season around the end of October. I had surgery done to fix it and was put in a brace so as to not move my hand for healing. I mentioned to the doctor about swimming, and the he made a special brace for in the pool which allowed me to get wet and not possibly injure it further. I DID NOT pull with this arm until I was fully healed and could pass a strength test with both my doctor and the school athletic trainers. I did basically the same workouts as the rest of the team did, only I did kick w/ board, kick w/out board but kept my bad arm down to my side. I also would swim free & back w/ 1 arm and kicking. I did not resort to fins as a handicap, just worked my kick. I got so much stronger on my kicking over the next month and a half, and I do believe it had an effect on my sprinting by the end of the season. I was finally cleared for full swimming in mid-December, and had two months to get ready for the Conference meet. I had to give up my distance races for that year, but at least I was still able to swim. This distance guy was able to go a 46.75 100 Free that year, when before that I was barely able to make a 47.5 before.

My advice, just do what you can. You'll be surprised at what you can do after a while. Your kick will be so good that when you finally get back to adding the arms again you should be even stronger in the water.

Karen Duggan
March 19th, 2011, 02:20 PM
That sounds great. I'll do that. I talked to Kerry yesterday and he said the same thing.
Thanks!

Redbird Alum
March 21st, 2011, 10:59 AM
Karen - what kind of shoulder injury?

Main reason I ask is that using a kickboard may not be for you if the stresses added by the overhead positioning of the arm over long sets impact your injury.

You can do all your kick sets sans board or with board below the shoulder level if necessary. There are a variety of ways to work the core and legs even if your arms have to stay below shoulder level.

Karen Duggan
March 21st, 2011, 02:02 PM
Thanks Matt. Good advice.

I don't usually use a kickboard when I kick.
I've been doing Advil, muscle stim, and Biofreeze.
Seems to be helping.
I'm going "kicking" tonight.

ande
March 21st, 2011, 05:20 PM
here's links to
help my ___ is horrible

if you want to become "hung in the lung"
Here's some Hypoxic SDK sets,

norascats
March 23rd, 2011, 07:27 PM
When I hurt my shoulder last year, I was able to float the arm up to streamiline. I wasn't able to lift it.
I did a lot of breast with scoop to breathe.
Vary the kicks with lots of whip kick and dolphins
Don't do anything that hurts the arm, but if it doesn't hurt, work the arm gently.

Luca
March 24th, 2011, 04:20 AM
Also, any recommendations for how long to kick for, etc?
Don't do dolphin kicking with a kickboard, I've found that it it is the only thing that hurts my shoulders.
Also, be careful not to do weird motions with the arm you hold the kickboard with when you touch the wall for turns. You should turn to both sides.

Bye :)