PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Rick!

fritznh
March 20th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Hi All,

This may not be the appropriate place, perhaps it should be in the meet section, but I'd like to send a big thank you to Rick Osterberg for running the SCY championships at Harvard this year. The meet went very smoothly for the two days I could come and I'll look forward to next time.

Cheers,

Fritz

chowmi
March 20th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Hi All,

This may not be the appropriate place, perhaps it should be in the meet section, but I'd like to send a big thank you to Rick Osterberg for running the SCY championships at Harvard this year. The meet went very smoothly for the two days I could come and I'll look forward to next time.

Cheers,

Fritz

Posts like this are always appropriate, no matter where you categorize them! I love to hear about meets, the people who run meets (and you guys are so awesome, wherever you are!!), and the experiences you have. That is the best way to find out what's out there, especially the annual events. If anything, more details!

ande
March 21st, 2011, 10:07 AM
hey fritz

you did some fast swimming way to go
2011 New England LMSC Short Course Yards Championship RESULTS (http://www.meetresults.com/2011/nelmscscy/results.shtml)

Ande

Hi All,

Cheers,

Fritz

SwimStud
March 21st, 2011, 10:52 AM
Hi All,

Cheers,

Fritz

Here here!
WTG Rick and all the officials.

dsyphers
March 21st, 2011, 12:12 PM
I thought I'd chime in here as well. The NE Championships at Harvard are always run exceptionally well, and this year it was pure pleasure to have the meet run so well. The whole event was run flawlessly, and the vibe from all the swimmers was fabulous. I enjoyed every minute of it. Thanks to everyone involved!

osterber
March 22nd, 2011, 02:08 PM
Thank you for the positive feedback, I very much appreciate it. This year's meet did go very smoothly. I think our numbers this year were good, making for a reasonable timeframe. (We finished at 6pm on Saturday.) Lots of good swimming, and I agree, an overall good vibe from people.

All of the results are posted on the link someone posted above, including the high points, and even a full copy of the sticker certificates. (The PDF has a page for each swimmer with the certificate, with the stickers already on it, that you can print out.)

The seed time analysis will be done tonight hopefully, and I will post that.

-Rick

mrubacky
March 22nd, 2011, 02:28 PM
I agree. It was a great meet, run exceptionally well. A big thank you to all who were there Distance day and this weekend.

swimmerb212
March 22nd, 2011, 04:20 PM
I eighth that emotion! Four years ago, Harvard was my first swim meet ever, and the clarity of the announcements and the fun facts and guidance he periodically gave us made it so much easier for me to navigate my way through.

And thanks to his last minute announcement, I didn't miss my 200 free, thinking I was in heat 10 when I was in heat 9...

What a great, well run meet, as always!

Another side note: I'm sorry I don't remember your name, but the swimmer who sang the National Anthem was also excellent.

osterber
March 23rd, 2011, 12:48 AM
For those curious, the post-meet seed time analysis reports are posted.

http://www.meetresults.com/2011/nelmscscy/results.shtml

down at the bottom of the page. We had 9 people hit their seed time _exactly_.

The name of the anthem signer is Scott McInerny, a swimmer for Cambridge Masters.

-Rick

bbpolhill
March 23rd, 2011, 05:24 PM
This has to be the best run meet I have ever been to. I know Rick selflessly credits great volunteers and officials, but any one who witnesses this spectacle has to know that Rick is at the heart of its success.

I don't know what the total number of heats were, but suffice it to say there were more than you can imagine. ANY time there was an open lane, Rick was there to give the missing a swimmer a last chance to show. Every time a record was broken, Rick was there with the announcement. Many times when a swimmer was in the process of threatening a record, he would make an announcement and engage the spectators. He makes it fun, interesting, and provides an opportunity for great competition.

My 20 year old swim who stopped swimming recently is back because this meet makes the sport fun again rather than the chore it had become. Thanks again Rick!

osterber
March 25th, 2011, 12:02 AM
We had 596 heats total in the meet, and 4597 swims in the meet.

For individual events, we swam a total of 855,050 yards in a total time of 196:13:30.84. (The 44 DQs are included in the distance, but not the time.)

Plus 102,000 yards total in the relays. (I don't have the total relay time.) So 957,050 total yards swum.

The average person in the meet missed their seed time (high or low) by 3.60 seconds per 100 yards of distance (or 4.29% of their raw seed time).

-Rick

jaadams1
March 25th, 2011, 12:07 AM
We had 596 heats total in the meet, and 4597 swims in the meet.

For individual events, we swam a total of 855,050 yards in a total time of 196:13:30.84. (The 44 DQs are included in the distance, but not the time.)

Plus 102,000 yards total in the relays. (I don't have the total relay time.) So 957,050 total yards swum.

The average person in the meet missed their seed time (high or low) by 3.60 seconds per 100 yards of distance (or 4.29% of their raw seed time).

-Rick

Wow...without a computer program doing that dirty work for you...you must have been up day and night since the meet crunching numbers!!! :afraid: