PDA

View Full Version : Caffeine

Warren
March 22nd, 2011, 06:07 PM
Is caffeine good or bad? I drink about 5 cups of coffee a day and when I swim I donít get an upset stomach or anything that some people get. Iíve been reading articles online about how caffeine increases athletic performance but is it really beneficial to drink a load of coffee and workout?

Speedo
March 22nd, 2011, 06:13 PM
If it doesn't bother your stomach, yes.

Jazz Hands
March 22nd, 2011, 06:16 PM
It has psychological effects, obviously. It takes a lot of coffee now for me to even notice anything. There's also this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9132918

A review of the literature suggests that caffeine at doses of approximately 6 mg/kg is not of ergogenic benefit to high intensity exercise performance, but similar doses are ergogenic in endurance exercise performance.

6 mg/kg is a couple cups of coffee (lots of variation in both human body weight and caffeine dose). But, as I recall, you aren't really into endurance exercise performance.

jaadams1
March 22nd, 2011, 06:17 PM
I drink enough soda for an entire team, and haven't had any problems. I think I've actually become immune to the effects of caffeine...but the taste of the soda is good, and it keeps my dentist in business!!

That Guy
March 22nd, 2011, 06:30 PM
I rarely drink coffee except on meet days. That way I maximize the effect. :anim_coffee:

orca1946
March 22nd, 2011, 07:04 PM
As long as it is O K with your parts,
have at it.:anim_coffee::anim_coffee::coffee:

pwb
March 22nd, 2011, 07:07 PM
Is caffeine good or bad?An undeniable good and a requisite for modern living.

YouTube - Kids on coffee

... although I think the phlebotomist and my physician might say something different when I go in for my physical later this month.:anim_coffee:

jim clemmons
March 22nd, 2011, 07:17 PM
Is caffeine good or bad? I drink about 5 cups of coffee a day and when I swim I don’t get an upset stomach or anything that some people get. I’ve been reading articles online about how caffeine increases athletic performance but is it really beneficial to drink a load of coffee and workout?

In excess, it's probably like most things - bad for you. I think it can definitely be detrimental to a workout as well if you've had too much - however much that might be. More for some, less for others.

I'll have about a 10-12 ounce cup on my way to morning workout. I notice I don't swim as well that early (5:30/6:00am) if I haven't had it. Also, during that mid-afternoon lull, if I'm feeling sleepy at a meet on the weekend, a cup will perk me up real good about 30 minutes before a race.

I typically have 2 cups a day. The one in the am before workout and possibly another in the afternoon.

jim thornton
March 22nd, 2011, 07:56 PM
For optimum performance, go "caffeine naive" for a week or two before a big meet, then drink a cup or two about 45 minutes before a big event.

A better approach than drinking is Jolt gum. Chew a couple times and stick the wad under your tongue. It gets absorbed and shoots to your blood stream in 15 minutes, and you don't have to worry about urinating.

All in all, the ergonomic benefits of caffeine probably have more to do with motivation than anything else. It does juice you up a bit, and some researchers used to believe it helps mobilize fat stores for use as a substrate during long workouts. Now, however, the consensus seems to be that it energizes you mentally in a way that keeps you training on those days when you'd otherwise be tempted to phone it in.

To sum up:

moderate and regular dosing of caffeine to train better
a break from all caffeine usage during the taper period in order to become caffeine naive--i.e., regaining your caffeine virginity--before a big meet
resumption of caffeine, ideally 15 minutes before an important event via buccal absorption of Jolt gum briskly masticated several times

Thus was delivered to his people the wisdom of a semi-educated pontificator of dubious albeit reasonably authenticated lore

Email me if you want an article I wrote for Men's Health on caffeine a couple years ago, one which, if memory serves, included an interview with the former US Olympic team nutritionist

nkfrench
March 22nd, 2011, 07:58 PM
I do love my coffee and diet cokes. :)

When I caffeinate all day my heart rate goes bonkers the first 5 minutes of my afternoon bikeride.

Normally during an easy caffeine-free warmup my heartrate would gradually increase from resting to about 145 and only hit max (172) later on climbing steep hills or time trialing.

Under influence of caffeine, my heartrate will bounce crazily around between 63 and 218 bpm with no other noticeable symptoms - not even breathing hard. Eventually it settles down, but still my heart is 5 beats per minute more during the entire ride than it would be if I wasn't so caffeinated.

The warmup is mostly easy soft-pedaling to loosen up a stiff knee.

My habit is 3-4 cans of Diet Coke and 4 shots of espresso. Sometimes I'll substitute in a 24-oz cup of coffee instead of a can of Diet Coke.

pwb
March 22nd, 2011, 10:58 PM
I do love my coffee and diet cokes. :)
My habit is 3-4 cans of Diet Coke and 4 shots of espresso. Sometimes I'll substitute in a 24-oz cup of coffee instead of a can of Diet Coke.
I owe you one of these:bow: and think you need to adopt my picture thingy under my name. I thought my 4-5 espresso shots a day was good and impressive, but clearly I'm a babe in the woods of Caffeineland.

knelson
March 23rd, 2011, 12:52 AM
I drink a lot of coffee. I'd say 32 oz a day or so on average. None of those fancy coffee drinks, just basic black drip coffee. After reading Stieg Larsson's books I'm convinced it must be my Swedish ancestry. :)

ColoJoel
March 23rd, 2011, 10:09 AM
I have my caffeine (IE coffee), AFTER my morning master's workout :).

art_z
March 23rd, 2011, 01:18 PM
Isn't caffeine a diuretic?

2fish&1whale
March 23rd, 2011, 02:15 PM
I used to do mid morning-noon swims without any coffee/breakfast before and almost always paid for it with a lingering headache and over eating in the afternoon.Switched to 1-2 cups of coffee and fruit, like a banana, in the AM and a huge bottle of water while I swim and ...no more headaches!The early caffeene wakes me up,supresses my hunger and gets "stuff" moving-and I have a much better swim because of it.

Bobinator
March 23rd, 2011, 03:32 PM
I used to drink a pot per day minimum of coffee without ever having a negative effect. (college till age 50) Around the time I turned 50 I had to quit. Coffee started giving me the jitters, a racing heart, and an irritable attitude toward anything and everything.
Now I have a cup of half-caf before I leave for work and decaf the rest of the day. Occaisionally I'll have a caffienated coffee on the week-ends after practice and I always regret it. It just makes me want to jump out of my skin!!!! :bolt:

Redbird Alum
March 23rd, 2011, 04:19 PM
Coffee / Caffeine = GOOD :2cents:

ande
March 23rd, 2011, 04:24 PM
I think it might be good to not use it much during the season then use it as a BOOST in your big competitions.
Though some feel it's great to use before training to enhance performance in practice.

It's good to feel jittery right before you race.

couldbebetterfly
March 23rd, 2011, 06:35 PM
I regularly used a cup of black coffee to get me through an evening training session. Taken about 45 mins beforehand, it would see me through the 75 min workout. Now I swim mid-morning and take my coffee afterwards to see me through the rest of the day!

Bobinator
March 23rd, 2011, 08:51 PM
I truly miss my coffee addiction. Starbucks stock has dropped significantly since my hiatus from the bean of life. I will say I'm a nicer person without the caffeine jitters but not nearly as energetic! :(

pwb
March 23rd, 2011, 09:38 PM
I truly miss my coffee addiction. Starbucks stock has dropped significantly since my hiatus from the bean of life. I will say I'm a nicer person without the caffeine jitters but not nearly as energetic! :(But, I'm sure the lack of caffeine is helping with your mindfulness meditation.

YouTube - Monty Python - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

Bobinator
March 23rd, 2011, 10:49 PM
But, I'm sure the lack of caffeine is helping with your mindfulness meditation.

YouTube - Monty Python - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo)

hahaha! Loved the u-tube!
I don't know if lack of caffeine helps with mindfulness or not. It would help me stay awake during meditation when tired though. :bed:

geochuck
March 24th, 2011, 11:21 AM
You do understand that Canada knows coffee and we know what to eat with it. Canadians are going to win the coffee wars. YouTube - Is America ready for more Tim Hortons?

debaru
March 24th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I'm okay if I stick to one cup in the morning about an hour after breakfast. If I have more than one cup, I'm a jittery mess! But, as an alternative, chocolate-covered espresso beans are simply marvelous for delivering that little boost. Much preferred over Jolt gum, in my humble opinion. ;)

ElaineK
March 24th, 2011, 09:11 PM
I'm okay if I stick to one cup in the morning about an hour after breakfast. If I have more than one cup, I'm a jittery mess! But, as an alternative, chocolate-covered espresso beans are simply marvelous for delivering that little boost. Much preferred over Jolt gum, in my humble opinion. ;)

Chocolate covered anything! :ohyeah: Have you tried Trader Joe's chocolate-covered espresso beans? AWESOME!

gigi
March 24th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I truly miss my coffee addiction. Starbucks stock has dropped significantly since my hiatus from the bean of life. I will say I'm a nicer person without the caffeine jitters but not nearly as energetic! :(

You've always been nicer!~

gigi
March 24th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Isn't caffeine a diuretic?

That's been the common wisdom for a long time, and coffee & tea weren't supposed to "count" toward daily water totals. But the articles I've been reading lately suggest that the diuretic effects of coffee are negligible to imperceptible ~ urine output is no greater after drinking coffee than it is after drinking an equal amount of water.

Good to know since I drink it all day. . . and ever since someone once told me that a cup of coffee 20 minutes before an event is a good thing, I always have one before I swim.

Placebo? For real? I don't care, it just gives me an excuse to indulge!

geochuck
March 24th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Every one wants to spoil coffee. Forget the hazelnut, chocolate, vanilla, caramel and cream. Give it to me strait, no sugar, very little 2% milk or black.

Bobinator
March 24th, 2011, 10:14 PM
You've always been nicer!~

thank you gigi! I wish I was as nice as you :)!

coffeegirl
March 25th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I will openly admit it, I am a coffee addict! As I sit here in my office, thoroughly enjoying my third cup of dark rich french roast, I can honestly say...coffee is a good thing! A steaming pot every morning, a French press at work most days, and the rare cup after evening practice, coffee is by far my drink of choice. While many enjoy the effects of their Ďadult beveragesí, I will stick with my robust freshly ground coffee any day. I sleep well at night, rarely feel the effects of over-indulging, and smile when I hear the soft purr of a coffee grinder.

jethro
March 25th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Diet Mountain Dew, the nectar of the gods. :agree:

debaru
March 25th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Chocolate covered anything! :ohyeah: Have you tried Trader Joe's chocolate-covered espresso beans? AWESOME!

No, but I'll be sure to stop by Trader Joe's before coming to Nationals and I'll share them with you. :) Chomping on a few of these before the meet instead of drinking coffee will help reduce my trips to the ladies room. There's nothing worse than having to go to the bathroom when you're suited up in a kneesuit (especially if it's wet). :badday:

aquajock
March 25th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Chai tea with half-and-half is my caffeine drink of choice. I feel peppy and tranquil. Coffee tastes awful, makes me jittery and keeps me up half the night.

5 cups of anything except water seems pretty extreme to me. I'd be trying to wean off of it if it was me.