PDA

View Full Version : Lost motivation

new
March 23rd, 2011, 02:05 PM
4 years ago, I used to swim an average of 4000-5000 meters a day, sometimes with a coach, sometimes on my own, over the years that went down to the point that Iím happy if I pass 2000 meters.
My problem is my low motivation, my best times are really far from where Iím at, I can train with a team only twice a week, and I have very little time to practice since Iím studying a lot, but somehow I manage to go everyday.
So, I donít know if I just got really bored or stressed, but my will power to go to the pool every day is disappearing, this last month I really didn't care if I missed 2-4 days of pool in one week, and the days I do go, I don't even push myself like I used to.
What can I do?

couldbebetterfly
March 23rd, 2011, 02:21 PM
It sounds like its time to take a break or train for a new event. Perhaps just commit to training twice weekly with the team for a few weeks and focus on a different stroke or perhaps train for an event you have never swum, or not swum in a long time?

I think most of us have our ups and downs :bighug:

ande
March 23rd, 2011, 03:57 PM
Answered your question in ASK ANDE

jmkregor
March 23rd, 2011, 08:43 PM
Hi Ande, I loved your song "After You Lose". I played it five times. (it's in the reply to Lost motivation). thanks!

swim53
March 23rd, 2011, 09:31 PM
Wow, Ande! :applaud:

lnlds
March 24th, 2011, 02:39 AM
How often do you participate in meets?
I find that if I know a meet is coming up I will train harder and go to the pool more often. Besides, I find that swimming to be in practice shape is much less motivating than preparing for a race.

Do you have a training partner?
Swimming alone is difficult. Having a partner to push you and not let down by skipping practices is a great way to swim hard and be consistent

Are you busy?
I'm often swamped with schoolwork and may only get 20-40 minutes in a day, but since I know I can only swim very little I'll work extra hard to make it count.

ande
March 24th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Hi Janice,

You're welcome
I appreciate reading that from you.
Glad you like it!

you can find many of my songs at:
http://www.songramp.com/homepage.php?userid=8001

Here's a few others you might enjoy

Die Young
http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/viewtrack.php?trackid=83697

Ain't Gonna Stop
rock demo http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/viewtrack.php?trackid=32584
rough guitar vocal http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/viewtrack.php?trackid=31697

Come To Me
http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/viewtrack.php?trackid=12415

Hi Ande, I loved your song "After You Lose". I played it five times. (it's in the reply to Lost motivation). thanks!

ande
March 24th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Thank you Ann

Wow, Ande! :applaud:

orca1946
March 24th, 2011, 04:58 PM
NEW. Do you do other sports? Do you swim on a team?

new
March 25th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Thank you all for the answers. I will take some ideas.

I decided to stop swimming for a week and see what happens. I think the reason is related to high levels of stress.

To answer some questions: I don't practice any other sport. I do keep track of what I do every day in practice (distance, times, stretch, lifting). I have a meet in two weeks, I will go even though I'm in a really bad shape.

Jeanne
March 26th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Are you allowing swimming to become "one more chore/demand" in your life instead of remembering the pleasure of swimming? Have you set goals in swimming that are not being met- do you still see progress in your swimming?
Instead of taking a break, perhaps you might want to simply ponder what changes you need to make yourself feel happy again.

aquajock
March 27th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Sometimes you have to look at what's happening with your life and figure out what needs tweaking. If you are having personal problems or a ton of stress at work, that isn't the best time (at least for me) to aim for best times or training at a very intense level. When things are difficult, I approach my training as a restorative part of my life and do it in a way that I enjoy.

If its colder than I like for swimming (we have to swim outside all year), I take an indoor Zumba class. If I crave the quiet and meditative, I'll go to a park for a walk or practice Qigong. If I want to watch the clouds when I'm swimming, I flip over and do backstroke. Then I always stay in shape, never get into a rut with my training and then naturally can tell when I'm ready to step up my yardage and effort again.

In winter, I got to hibernation in my swimming and so I only swim so so SCY and do much better LCM and SCM. I don't beat myself up about it - it's just the way I am. I'd rather be fit and healthy all the time than swim until I hated it and end up retiring to the couch!

tomtopo
March 29th, 2011, 10:00 AM
I found an article I cut out from American Swimming Magazine 2008 Issue 3 titled Goldminds - How to stay motivated by Wayne Goldsmith and Helen Morris (From Swimming Australia). I think it may help you. Good luck, Coach T.

By the way, if you Google Wayne Goldsmith and Helen Morris, you'll find a lot of nice aritcles on motivation.