PDA

View Full Version : How many lbs. have you lost this season?

orca1946
March 24th, 2011, 05:02 PM
I peak for , lose for & taper for our state meet in the month of April.
Since the start of S C season in Oct. I have managed to lose 20 lbs.
Now I'm down to only 1/2 a ton.
I wish I could keep it off during off season!

knelson
March 24th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I wish I could keep it off during off season!

See, there's your problem right there, Oz. There is no off season!

Karen Duggan
March 24th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I fluctuate between 8-10 lost. Now to keep it off and lose some more!

fmracing
March 24th, 2011, 08:44 PM
27lbs since Jan 2010. I don't have on and off seasons though, and I don't change my fast food diet :)

jaadams1
March 24th, 2011, 09:04 PM
This season I've lost a lot...I believe I was around 202-205 when I started the "season" in September...I'm currently about 189...so that's roughly 14 pounds lost. I got sick a couple times throughout the season, and this helped me drop weight too, I just didn't allow a lot to creep back on. I feel much better...look better...and have had to start beating the women off me at work. :banana:

When I started Masters swimming in March 2009 (2 years ago) I was almost 220 pounds...and at the time I didn't even realize I was "fat". I'm 5'9" tall, and just kinda settled into my body as it was. I was at the doctor the one day, and she told me that loosing a quick 15 pounds would solve a lot of problems. After loosing all my weight, I'm back to my size 32 jeans again. Good thing I didn't give them all away!!

pmccoy
March 24th, 2011, 09:25 PM
I peaked at 196 while tapering in february. Down to 188 right now. Last year, I was at 175. I'd like to get back under 180 before Nationals in August.

couldbebetterfly
March 24th, 2011, 10:02 PM
At a rough estimate....zero :badday:

Although I have now lost the 3-4lbs I gained over Christmas.

Charge
March 24th, 2011, 11:57 PM
I lost about 13 pounds rather quikly but I have plateaued. I want to lose 10 more and have the love handles to do it, but I fear I just don't have the time to burn that much off before Mesa

orca1946
March 25th, 2011, 12:42 AM
My creaky old broken body can't do all year "ON" season! I used to be able to but, now after 2 hip replacements:cane::badday:, plantar facia:chillpill:, heel spur:doh: & foot neuroma, :cane:I need to back off a while!:bed::chug::cake:

VydentSwimmer
March 25th, 2011, 01:55 AM
I've lost between negative 5 and negative 10 pounds...
It's okay, though, because it's all 'muscle' :)

MSwan
March 25th, 2011, 08:30 AM
After getting back in the pool after a 31 year break, swimming 4 days a week, I've somehow managed to gain 5#.
I certainly feel better, but it would have been nice to lose some weight.

gdanner
March 25th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I haven't weighed myself in the last year. I probably should. Definitely haven't lost weight, but I'm comfortable where I'm at, which is probably about 160.

mrubacky
March 25th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I've lost 25 lbs since the start of short course season in Oct. Although my wieght has become stable at 173 since Jan.

couldbebetterfly
March 25th, 2011, 10:23 AM
After getting back in the pool after a 31 year break, swimming 4 days a week, I've somehow managed to gain 5#.
I certainly feel better, but it would have been nice to lose some weight.

I did that when I started back last year. I was over-compensating with the post-swim cookies!

KevinS
March 25th, 2011, 10:36 AM
I actually got back involved with swimming to get in better shape. I had been 15 years since my last official practice in college. It is funny, My coaches used to try to get me to gain a little weight and I never could. However, after about 5 years out of the water I started packing on some weight. Then after marriage and the birth of twins 2 years ago, I started really putting it on fast - I knew I was overweight, however, at my last physical in November, my BMI had me in the Obese range by a couple of pounds. So I knew it was time to make a change for my hapiness, and to be a more active part of my kids like in the future. I coach high school and club swimming, so I had no excuse for not exercising more often.

Since the end of January I have made an effort to really change my diet (not dieting, just making healthier choices), and have started swimming 3-4 days a week as well as lifting some weights and other cardio work. I have dropped 22 pounds since I started over two months ago, and I am now up to 2,500 - 3,500 yards a work out, and feel much better. The good news I am no longer obese, just overweight. I just wish there was a masters team to work out with for extra motivation in my area. I plan on getting back to an acceptable weight by november, and competing again next January.

jethro
March 25th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I've gained weight. :bitching: I'm 6'3 and I usually like to be right at 170. At the moment I'm hovering around 178-180. I've been busy at work so I haven't been working out like I should (as the FLOG keeps reminding me). Plus, I'm a hopeless junk food junkie.

swimshark
March 25th, 2011, 10:45 AM
My son's homework involved a scale so he had me get on it to see my weight. I knew I had lost based on how my clothes are no longer fitting - belts are needed with everything. I was shocked to see how much I had lost. I am now down below my wedding day weight, which was 15 years ago. In the last few months I have lost about 12 pounds.

__steve__
March 25th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I'm certain if I could gain 5-10lbs of body weight, even if the gain has half in fat, I would see an improvement from over a year ago where my performances peaked (PB's).

kristilynn
March 25th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Hmmm... Between February 22 and March 2 (8 days) I lost 23 lbs. Those of you who read my blog know why! :-) I've lost a couple more pounds since then and seem to be staying steady at 131.

no200fly
March 25th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Hmmm... Between February 22 and March 2 (8 days) I lost 23 lbs. Those of you who read my blog know why! :-) I've lost a couple more pounds since then and seem to be staying steady at 131.

Kristilynn - Congratulations, what a beautiful way to lose 25 pounds! She is a real cutie.

santapookie
March 25th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Orca... it comes down to your diet for everything. Working out, even hard swimming, alone is not going to cause you to lose weight. Look at what you're eating. There are lots of "diets" out there that I'd recommend against simply because they're diets to lose weight - not to maintain a weight and healthy habits... but there are some diet modifications you can make (and 'diets' that can show you the way).

I am 37 years old, 5' tall and was 150 lbs as of August. I started training again in August but didn't lose any weight until I adjusted my diet. I (somewhat) followed the Paleo Diet and have since lost 20 lbs (and dropped all my times). However previously, the Zone diet worked well for me (I had lost 35 pounds from the weight I had held onto after having my 2nd kid). But the Zone diet just wasn't something I could maintain with 2 little kids, school and stress eating. I never followed either 'diet' as prescribed - but getting close and learning the ideologies behind them is essential to losing the weight - whether or not you ever even lift a finger to exercise. A great movie to watch which isn't diet specific is 'FatHead' (it's on Netflix or you can rent it at Blockbuster or something) - but it will tell you a LOT of great information about eating habits and why to stay away from certain foods. Keep in mind, you don't have to exclude anything completely from your diet, just moderate what you eat and how much/how often and you'll be fine. But if you want to keep off the pounds, all the swimming in the world won't help if you eat poorly.

Good luck!

orca1946
March 25th, 2011, 05:53 PM
You are very correct in nailing my diet habits !
In season I watch it much better than in "my" off season.:badday::chug:

Herb
March 25th, 2011, 08:23 PM
I've lost about 15 and I too have moved from "obese" to "overweight" BMI. It doesn't have anything to do with the swim season though. I've been working out for decades. I'm so dumb I finally realized I can't eat and drink whatever I want because I exercise - although if I didn't swim I would probably be 400 lbs by now.
Now if I can just lose another 40 lbs I will be in my healthy weight range.:bitching:

Chicken of the Sea
March 25th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Gained 15lbs since Thanksgiving :(

Jim B.
March 25th, 2011, 10:26 PM
+15 here.

norascats
March 26th, 2011, 07:13 AM
I've lost 8 lbs. Best of all, I've lost the flotation device in my belly that was ruining my balance in the water. I am now close to neutral buoyancy like when I was young.
I am swimming 3x/wk, 2500-3500 yds. I have also been doing some dry land aerobics and toning. I also walk two big dogs daily out in the woods.
I don't diet, but I have tried to increase my intake of fruits and vegetables. Limiting portions is increasingly needed as I am no longer young.

riseforms
March 26th, 2011, 02:28 PM
12 Lbs so far over the past month or so of being back. First time back to the pool in 2 years. No exercise, well not much any way.

Gaining muscle everywhere (shoulders, triceps, neck and lats are the ones I feel the most.. Also scapulae and hamstrings/quads.. some in lower back and core) So I probably have lost more than 12lbs of fat.

Feeling great. At the rate I am going (once my calf heals a bit and can get back to swimming "hard" again) I should be out of 36" waists and spending some money on new clothes by end of May at the latest :-) Mrs. RiseForms even made a comment the other day :bliss:

chowmi
March 26th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I will fully admit my metobolic Dorian Grey is still going strong! But that doesn't mean that I don't know a thing or two about incrementally better eating habits. I have no stats of my own to add to this thread but I also wouldn't have much to add to any soon-to-be companion "How many lbs have you gained in the off season?" thread.

I guess the best gut check (no pun intended) is to be in a good range of weight year over year, staying in decent shape at worse, and always staying within striking distance of good/great shape. Making myself suit-up in a real live swim meet on a monthly average really helps me stay within reason. Sure, let yourself go, or as I like to say, I have to LIVE! and go hog wild for holidays, your birthday, or other occasions. But just recognize you made an expensive choice and you have to even it out later. You CAN have that coke, that cookie, that cake, that steak, your burger & fries, and your beer, you just can't have it ALL at once or EVERY day!!!

The hardest part of food intake is that it is entirely too socially acceptable to abuse our bodies. If you swam a poor time, would you throw yourself down on the ground and start pounding your arms and legs and wailing away? Of course not! But that is the analogy of what we all do when we pig out and eat way too much! And no one is going to say, "Hey! You really don't need to be spackling on the dip and eating that entire bag of ruffles! That's disgusting! You're a pig! Cut it out! You're out of control!" You have to say it to yourself and say, ok this is my indulgence and now I know i'll have to eat better for the next several days. No big deal! And the day after that, i'll have a piece of cake and ice cream! See, just not all at once!

riseforms
March 26th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I will fully admit my metobolic Dorian Grey is still going strong! But that doesn't mean that I don't know a thing or two about incrementally better eating habits.

I neglected to mention that in my response. Those 12 pounds so far weren't lost by adding swimming to a few cokes, junk food, fast food, etc. each day. I'm having one coke a week (tastes so much better that way), healthier snacks, smart breakfasts and watching the portions. Only exercise is swimming but the eating better has also been a large portion of the change, I'm sure.

orca1946
March 26th, 2011, 07:20 PM
So will we keep team off in the off season?:chug::cake:

Slowswim
March 26th, 2011, 08:04 PM

Congrats! It is a wonderful way to get back into shape.:applaud:

Slowswim
March 26th, 2011, 08:07 PM
My season started 1 March. I've dropped 2 percentage points of fat and gain 2 pounds!:banana:

I'm less worried about the scale as the mirror.

no200fly
March 26th, 2011, 10:58 PM
I have lost 12 lbs. in the last 2 weeks. Unfortunately, most of it has been as the result of a skiing accident two weeks ago when I broke both shoulders and a couple of ribs. It is not a method I would recommend to anyone else.

Hopefully, things will heal and I will be able to swim again sometime fairly soon. I think my thoughts of going to Rio for a week for the Masters Pan American Games will probably have to be forgotten.

orca1946
March 27th, 2011, 12:04 AM
No200 sorry to hear about the accident! :cane: I wish a quick & safe recovery!

no200fly
March 27th, 2011, 06:35 PM
No200 sorry to hear about the accident! :cane: I wish a quick & safe recovery!

Thanks

EJB190
March 28th, 2011, 10:17 AM
About 10-15 pounds this season.

I swam maybe 5 times total over the winter so I lost quite a bit of muscle mass.
:dunno:

orca1946
March 28th, 2011, 03:33 PM
I swim with the team 3 x a week & go to the gym 3 x a week.
I'm down to 218 lb. Ready for state & let's see what happens at nationals!

Jimbosback
March 28th, 2011, 05:30 PM
I'm down about 3 pounds (184) and hope to race nationals at 180.

orca1946
March 30th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Better today - down one more pound to 217 :banana::applaud:

orca1946
April 1st, 2011, 12:38 PM
Me likie this month - 214.8 today :applaud::banana:

Speedo
April 1st, 2011, 12:48 PM
I step on the scale every morning, and then wallow over the the computer and stick the number in a spreadsheet.

Since 9/15/10 (start of coached workouts this year), starting at 178:

Min: 173 (12/5- day after taper meet)
Mean: 176.8
Max: 180.5 (3/11/11- 3 weeks ago)
This AM- 175

pwb
April 1st, 2011, 12:57 PM
I've tracked my weight over the years and have made a few 'jumps' from my weight of around 205lbs when I officially re-joined Masters in 2001.

2001: 205lbs -- pre-Masters
2002: 195lbs -- pretty quickly lost 5-10 pounds after getting back into Masters
2008: 197lbs -- was generally between 195 and 200 from 2002 to 2008, but started to make a bigger commitment to training in 2008
2009: 188lbs -- that next big training commitment got me another ~10 lbs
2010: 190lbs -- which I maintained pretty well for two years
2011: 183lbs -- major change this year has been input focused (e.g., diet) while my exercise volume has decreased a bit from 2010

Slowswim
April 1st, 2011, 03:52 PM
As of yesterday 159. Only 4 lbs to go!:bliss:

fatboy
April 1st, 2011, 05:40 PM
Go OZ!

orca1946
April 2nd, 2011, 12:46 AM
Hey ! Frank !! Where have you been??

TheCaveman
April 2nd, 2011, 10:10 AM
239 in August of 2010...197 today. 42 lbs.

The key, for me, was getting in the pool AT LEAST four times a week and making healthy eating choices. You've gotta eat breakfast (high fiber english muffin with egg whites, some lean ham, and fat free "cheese" has been my favorite). Get your fruits and veggies in and the occasional dietary splurge won't kill you.

orca1946
April 2nd, 2011, 12:47 PM
Eat for breakfast is something I never do ! Coffee & a slice of sweet roll is all.
I have tried ,but can't work my brain into that part. On Sat. we always go to eat at a local place, but not during the week.

cheakamus
April 2nd, 2011, 11:18 PM
I followed a low-fat diet for years (actually, all my life my mother was a public health nurse), and like Orca, I almost never ate breakfast just couldn't face food that early in the morning. Under that regime I could lose weight but never keep it off. My weight yo-yoed as much as 20 pounds up or down for decades.

Now I eat a more or less paleo diet, and I can't wait for breakfast in the morning two fried eggs from my own chickens, organic potato shredded and fried in pastured butter, two or three strips of pastured bacon (Niman Ranch or my local farmer's) or sausages, greens sauteed in butter, coffee with pastured heavy cream. I don't eat any wheat, and I rarely eat anything more than an apple, a handful or nuts, or a piece of cheese for lunch breakfast pretty much sustains me throughout the day.

This year I haven't lost any weight (though I'm down almost 100 pounds from my all-time high of seven-eight years ago), and I may even have put on a pound or two. But my waistline hasn't changed I'm a 33 today, as opposed to a 42 at my biggest so I don't worry about it. Any weight I've put on is muscle from swimming, so I reckon it's all good.

orca1946
April 3rd, 2011, 04:41 PM
Can I come to your house for breakfast ?? That sounds great !!!:coffee:

cheakamus
April 3rd, 2011, 11:36 PM
Can I come to your house for breakfast ?? That sounds great !!!:coffee:

Welcome! Let me know next time you're going to be in Seattle.

Just to be clear, the trade-off is no buttermilk pancakes, no sandwiches, no pizza, no whole-wheat pasta, no beer (!) but I can live with that.

orca1946
April 4th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Good food & great views in the part of the states my wife & I love to visit.

santapookie
April 4th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Now I eat a more or less paleo diet, and I can't wait for breakfast in the morning.

If you get a chance - watch the movie FatHead (on Netflix or Hulu: Hulu - Fat Head - Watch the full feature film now.@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.hulu.com/embed/djyiCttz-dTjtvypNWoCLw@@AMEPARAM@@djyiCttz-dTjtvypNWoCLw) - it's long (2 hours give or take), but it's VERY informative and it takes the science of diet and puts it in fantastic lei terms). But it'll have you re-thinking your food choices... it's not diet specific - but his conclusions do seem to loosely follow those of the Paleo Diet. Eat more fat, less carbs (not zero carbs) and you'll notice a difference. If you actually put a little time into looking at your options, there are plenty out there. :) It's worth it.

orca1946
April 4th, 2011, 03:13 PM
More fat???????? That goes against everything I think I know ?!

Mary1912
April 4th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Started January 3...down 11lbs. Not a huge amount but I haven't really cut back on my diet yet. I just started to do that late last month and finally saw the scale creep a bit faster downward. Goal is 30 lbs down by the end of the year, if not more! :applaud:

I swim 3-4 days a week averaging about 2700-3000yds per one hour session.

orca1946
April 5th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Good job Mary - slow & controlled.

cheakamus
April 5th, 2011, 12:50 AM
For more inspiration, check out this web site:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-book/success-stories/

Scroll down and don't miss the pictures. My favorites are "Diana" and "Sterling." Both of them look like completely different people.

poolraat
April 5th, 2011, 11:26 AM
I don't worry too much about my weight. What I keep track of is my body fat percentage. In January it was 17.76%, last week it was 16.37%. I'm hoping to be in low 15's by the time I go to nationals.

orca1946
April 5th, 2011, 04:46 PM
I need some of my "flotation material" or I will sink !!:bolt:

santapookie
April 9th, 2011, 01:06 AM
Hahaha... Orca - I know it sounds backwards - but that's just because of the history of our food pyramid. Were you able to watch the movie? It really explains it all well... (better than I could). But there's a LOT of science behind it - not just one guy's observations...

bowyer954
April 10th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I think it helps if you start out "chunky". I am down 20 lbs. I started the paleo diet and that has helped a lot. Being a sprinter a going down 20 lbs have really helpedmy times.

Rykno
April 11th, 2011, 03:39 AM
i've been up and down the past 4 yrs.

all of last year i think I only stepped on a scale 5 times. I was injured and couldn't swim the way I wanted and lost all motivation to keep the weight off.

march 21st after our nationals I felt great, but swam slightly slower than 2009 times when I was 185lbs. Maybe being 226lbs had something to do with the .5-.8 sec/50m. Now I'm looking fwd to long course nationals and OW season. I started stepping on the scale every morning before breakfast. I've already lost 4lbs in 3+ weeks. I've got 20 weeks before our OW nationals and I am hoping to lose roughly 2lbs a week until then.

I only record my wednesday weight, but by stepping on the scale every day I can see what worked and didn't work the day before. but from day to day I can go up or down 2lbs easily. that's why my official weigh in is always wednesday.

Charge
April 11th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I am up to 14 pounds since Mar 1, and 20 since Jan 1.

I have done this while increasing my bench #'s from 8 reps at 185 to 8 reps on 225!!

orca1946
April 13th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Unless you are getting ready to swim in really cold water, 20 lbs. is quite a gain.

KevinS
April 13th, 2011, 03:31 PM
If you get a chance - watch the movie FatHead . Eat more fat, less carbs (not zero carbs) and you'll notice a difference. If you actually put a little time into looking at your options, there are plenty out there. :) It's worth it.

I watched this. Thanks for suggesting it. It is a good movie, almost a centers around disproving "Super Size Me." I was on a lower cal, diet, watching my fat more than carbs. I did good dropping the first 20 or so pounds, but then leveled off with almost no weight loss in a couple of weeks. I kept the lower calorie diet, and eliminated a great deal of carbs (try to keep my carbs under 75g a day). I lost 7 more pounds the week I started doing this. I am still keeping it up, and I enjoy it. I haven't eliminated carbs, and allow myself to eat SOME foods that are considered "higher fat" and it seems to be working and I feel great. I don't know if I can ever give up carbs completely - I love sandwiches too much.

cheakamus
April 13th, 2011, 03:41 PM
A really interesting, well-written and thought-provoking article on the effects of sugar in our diets in the NYT today:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17Sugar-t.html?_r=1&hp
Well worth the read!

orca1946
April 13th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Sometimes the body goes into starvation mode & will hold what it can for a long time.

santapookie
April 13th, 2011, 06:28 PM
KevinS - AWESOME! Totally awesome!!! Picking your food carefully is really a lifestyle choice, not just a 'diet' - and I've been slow to move over to a non-carb diet too (I loves me my breads, doughnuts and pastas) ;) But I've changed over to where I can have a doughnut once a week (or less, I really don't crave them anymore), and I have cut down to minimal bread (I use those Orowheat Sandwich Thins now, and usually only half of one) - it does make a difference for me and I haven't had any desire to go back to my old eating habits, but if I do indulge on occasion - it's definitely not something I beat myself up over and I've been able to maintain this ever since. :) (~7-8+ months now and counting). Congrats again and enjoy! :) It only gets better. :)

orca1946
April 14th, 2011, 05:55 PM
After working so hard to pull my weight down this season, I look as if I had a tech suit on!:)

redbull622
April 14th, 2011, 07:48 PM
13 lbs so far back in good shape. I need to still get the body fat % down.

orca1946
April 15th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Redbull, that is a good number.:applaud::banana:

ColoJoel
April 16th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I am now at a mostly-steady 167 lbs or so (prior to starting swimming in Dec 2009 was running more like 180+). So not all of it was lost 'this season' but I swim a fair amount & (I feel), watch what I eat (more so than in the past :-).

gigi
April 16th, 2011, 01:19 PM
5 Pounds! :)

orca1946
April 16th, 2011, 10:17 PM
The last time I was under 200 was when I did an Ironman tri. THEN - - I had my right hip replaced TWICE in 7 years !!?? Well, no running & age [65]:cane: have taken their tool & lbs. :afraid:

orca1946
April 20th, 2011, 10:19 AM
I'm holding steady & ready for Nats. in Mesa ! :banana::bolt:

bradley8302
April 20th, 2011, 03:35 PM
really frustrated I can't contribute to the falling numbers being posted here. Had shoulder surgery in Dec and got cleared to start light workouts about 2 months ago, and officially cleared 1 month ago so I decided to give swimming a go and I really enjoy it. Definitely feel stronger and look leaner, but haven't seen any change on the scale. What's up with that?!!

orca1946
April 21st, 2011, 06:58 PM
Do not work that repair too hard in the effort to lose pounds!
It will come back. Like me close your mouth & workout!