PDA

View Full Version : Guidelines for a 12-week training plan

Luca
March 25th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Hi there,

I have twelve weeks left to train for an important meet and I want to set up a traning plan for my events which would be the 100 and 200 free, the 100 fly and, I'm dropping the bomb here, the 200 fly LCM :help:

I'm not a coach though and I would like to learn what kind of sets I should swim, what kind of workout to do on the different days of the week and how to ramp up before tapering.

Any suggestions?

ande
March 25th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Hi there,
I have twelve weeks left to train for an important meet and I want to set up a traning plan for my events which would be the 100 and 200 free, the 100 fly and, I'm dropping the bomb here, the 200 fly LCM :help:
I'm not a coach though and I would like to learn what kind of sets I should swim, what kind of workout to do on the different days of the week and how to ramp up before tapering.
Any suggestions?

replied in Ask Ande

orca1946
March 25th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Are you on a masters team? Do you have a coach?

couldbebetterfly
March 25th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Hey Luca

I have 13 weeks until my 200 LCM fly. Its 8 years and 2 kids since my last one, which wasn't all that great, so I'm training to finish legally, not necessarily fast! I swim alone, so am just concentrating on lots of fly drills, fins to strengthen my legs and core and gradually building up the number of lengths full stroke I do in one go. I'm also doing some mid-distance free work as hopefully I'll be entering the 400 free at the same meet. Depending on event order I might do a 1500 free too (ie if the 1500 free is way after the 200 fly).

Ande as usual is full of great advice, and good luck!

Luca
March 26th, 2011, 06:21 AM
Are you on a masters team? Do you have a coach?
I'm on a team but not Masters, I'm only 23 and the oldest on my team, the others range from 13 to 20, and yes, I have a coach. I wrote more about me and my times replying in "Ask Ande".

Hey Luca

I have 13 weeks until my 200 LCM fly. Its 8 years and 2 kids since my last one
Wow, I wish my mom could swim the 200 fly :bump:

couldbebetterfly
March 26th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Wow, I wish my mom could swim the 200 fly :bump:

:D I'm probably a few years younger than your mom, but its never too late! - I was 26 or 27, I think when I swam my first 200 fly, did it for a couple of years, then had kids, but still kept swimming on & off, just not so much fly.

Looking at the ask Ande thread, your times are pretty comparable to what mine were back then. What I will say is that you need to do plenty of core work, in the last 4 weeks since I started my 200 fly quest, I have noticed a huge difference. I have dropped at least 1 stroke per 25 yds on fly. Back in the day I didn't do a lot of core work and my arms would feel awful when training fly, so I'd revert to freestyle. Now I can feel my core muscles seeing me through to the end of the length, and its helping my freestyle as well.

I will also say (others may think differently though) that the 200 fly is a totally different event than the other 3. Freestyle events and the 100 fly can be finished on sheer willpower, for the 200 fly you need to keep your stroke, and baseed on your times, you need to keep it very aerobic. Check out the "what not to do" videos!

Luca
March 26th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Looking at the ask Ande thread, your times are pretty comparable to what mine were back then. What I will say is that you need to do plenty of core work, in the last 4 weeks since I started my 200 fly quest, I have noticed a huge difference. I have dropped at least 1 stroke per 25 yds on fly. Back in the day I didn't do a lot of core work and my arms would feel awful when training fly, so I'd revert to freestyle. Now I can feel my core muscles seeing me through to the end of the length, and its helping my freestyle as well.

I will also say (others may think differently though) that the 200 fly is a totally different event than the other 3. Freestyle events and the 100 fly can be finished on sheer willpower, for the 200 fly you need to keep your stroke, and baseed on your times, you need to keep it very aerobic. Check out the "what not to do" videos!
My arms tend to tire out quicker than my legs or core during repeats of 50s, I suck at strength.

I think you're definitely right about the aerobic component of the 200 fly. It is the ultimate event and won't forgive any deficiencies in one's training. No place to hide in the 200 fly LCM :help:

Anyway, here are a few sets that we've swum during practice and that I said I would post. Feel free to make suggestions, modify intervals and anything.

12x50 (these four x3) on 1.00, fly is fast

12.5 fly / 37.5 ez
25 fly / 25 ez
37.5 fly / 12.5 ez
50 fly

It's a 600, I would do this three or four times through as a day's workout with 200 ez between sets. Is the 1.00 interval ok?

50s on 1.30, 25s on 1.00, fast

4x50 fr / 1x25 fr
3x50 fr / 2x25 fr
2x50 fr / 3x25 fr
1x50 fr / 4x25 fr

750 total, how many times? Doable as fly too.

200 race pace set, five times through. I don't remember the intervals, possibly 1.30 for the 50s and 2.00 for the 100s.

50 fr
50 fr drill
100 fr
50 fr drill
50 fr

1500 total. The only time we swam this set I did the last repeat as fly doing ez instead of drills, that was tough.

Wearing paddles and fins, fast

1x200 fr on 4.00
2x150 fr on 3.00
3x100 fr on 2.00
4x50 fr on 1.00

x2, 2000 total. This set is fun, you go faster than your top speed, makes my heartbeat go very high because it takes a lot of energy to sustain a powerful kick with fins, a lot of core strength too. What is this set good for anyway?

24x100 fr fast on 2.00

I didn't like this set very much, I would enjoy a fly version of this though. How would you modify this set for fly?

20x50 on 1.00, odds fly fast, evens ez

I've also found a few sets that I like in Ande's blog.