PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof Watch with Durable Crystal? Does one exist?

aquajock
March 27th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Does anyone know of a waterproof watch with a crystal that doesn't crack the first time you hit a lane line? I have gone through enough "waterproof" watches in the last 2 years to fill a landfill.

orca1946
March 27th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Have you checked Casio?
By the way, why a watch in the pool ??????

Bobinator
March 27th, 2011, 06:48 PM
My waterproof Ironman watches have strong crystals however they eventually get water inside if you press the buttons in the water.

aquajock
March 27th, 2011, 07:10 PM
If you can't push the buttons in the water, wearing a watch in the water seems pointless. I like to use the watch when no pace clock is available for intervals or to tell time when there is no clock...

no200fly
March 27th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Does anyone know of a waterproof watch with a crystal that doesn't crack the first time you hit a lane line? I have gone through enough "waterproof" watches in the last 2 years to fill a landfill.

Rolex Submariner?

Lump
March 27th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Mini G-shock

Bobinator
March 27th, 2011, 09:59 PM
If you can't push the buttons in the water, wearing a watch in the water seems pointless. I like to use the watch when no pace clock is available for intervals or to tell time when there is no clock...

I totally agree!!!! I keep taking them back to the store when this happens. The 3rd time I took one back the store manager told me I could wear it in the pool but NOT push the buttons. At this point I asked for my money back.
I think it's an example of how cheaply things are made these days. I used to use my casio and Ironman watches for at least a couple years and never a leak!

ALM
March 27th, 2011, 10:49 PM
I have worn Timex Ironman watches for years and have never had a problem with water getting in through the buttons. I don't push the buttons while the watch is underwater, but I push them all the time when I'm hanging on the wall in between intervals. (I start the chronograph at the beginning of the first interval, then push the "lap" button to begin the next interval, and so on. I can't see the pace clock from my lane.)

I can usually get at least a couple of years' use out of a swimming watch. What finally breaks is the watch band. In the old days, I would just buy a new band. But now Timex keeps changing their watch designs and every design has a unique band. Apparently there is not enough demand for Timex to stock replacement bands. I have two mid-sized Ironman watches, Model 855. The bands broke a couple of months ago. The stores carry very few replacement bands any more and I haven't found anything online, either. I'm still looking but they're going to become throw-away watches soon if I can't find anything.

aquajock
March 27th, 2011, 10:58 PM
I had an Ironman watch that lasted from 1990 until 1997. Since then, I have had no luck.I've tried every variety of Casio, Timex and Adidas watch. I even sunk a "diving" watch that I bought for $150. I figure either the watches are now of really poor quality or I am hitting the lane lines more often now that I'm getting older.

ALM
March 27th, 2011, 11:01 PM
I just went to the Timex web site, found their email address, and asked them where I can find a replacement band. I will post their response here if they write back.

Allen Stark
March 28th, 2011, 12:54 AM
i haven't had any problem with the Ironman watches,but my current one is 2 years old and doing fine so I don't know what a new one would do.I rely on it more than a pace clock,especially for 25 sprints as the clocks at each end where I swim are not necessarily perfectly synchronized.

aquajock
March 28th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Anna Lea, your comment reminded me of the day when the band wearing out was my biggest problem. I usually ended up taking my Ironman watch to a custom watch repair shop and they managed to put a new band on for me. In the past several years, I haven't had a watch last long enough for the band to disintegrate...

ALM
May 19th, 2011, 12:10 PM
I just went to the Timex web site, found their email address, and asked them where I can find a replacement band. I will post their response here if they write back.

They wrote back. Here is their reply:

Thank you for your inquiry. You can call us at 1-800-448-4639 to order a replacement band for your watch. The cost will be $8.00-$12.00, plus any applicable tax. Please have your watch with you when you call.

Sincerely,
LT Customer SVC

I called them about a week ago and got their automated voice mail. There is a choice for "Press x if you need to order a watchband." I pressed that choice and got instructions telling me to mail my broken band to them at a certain address with a check for $8.00. I did it the next day and am now eagerly waiting for my new band!

ljodpundari
May 19th, 2011, 04:58 PM
I've got an Ironman about three years old now. I don't think I actually push the buttons under water, but I do use the lap buttons to time splits. So far I haven't had any leakage problem. I generally use my knuckles to hit the lane line, but I've knocked the watch against furniture a number of times.
My watchband was velcro. Now the velcro is pretty much worn out and I'm using a rubber band to hold the hooks against the fuzzy part. I might try out Jawhawk's suggestion, since no one around here seems to have replacements.

knelson
May 19th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Here's another option if you're looking for something to use in the pool
http://mypacepal.com/pace-pal-swimmers-clock.html

I think it's a great idea. I'd like to buy one, but I'm sort of waiting for others to beta test first. :)

aquageek
May 19th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Here's another option if you're looking for something to use in the pool
http://mypacepal.com/pace-pal-swimmers-clock.html

I think it's a great idea. I'd like to buy one, but I'm sort of waiting for others to beta test first. :)

I saw these in Arizona on the bottom of the pool. I think USMS should test and review one cause it looks sweet, but, at that price, a review would be beneficial.

JimRude
May 19th, 2011, 06:00 PM
I saw these in Arizona on the bottom of the pool. I think USMS should test and review one cause it looks sweet, but, at that price, a review would be beneficial.

I bought one in Mesa.

Here's my review:
- Awesome.
- Big LCD display. You can easily see it from min. 15m distance.
- Simple to use - three buttons: on/off, start/stop, and reset to 0.
- I only use it on the bottom when doing 15m bursts, but it would probably work great for mindless distance sets, too.
- 5/5 stars.
- Joe Bob (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Bob_Briggs) gives it two thumbs up.

aquageek
May 19th, 2011, 06:03 PM
- I only use it on the bottom when doing 15m bursts, but it would probably work great for mindless distance sets, too.

Subtle, real subtle. I hope you drop it on your big toe.

Thanks for the review.

EdC
May 19th, 2011, 06:07 PM

I have had a Timex Ironman for 10 years and it still keeps ticking in pool and ocean. Replacing the watch band is the only problem. Why would you hit the buttons under water?

knelson
May 19th, 2011, 06:13 PM
it looks sweet, but, at that price, a review would be beneficial.

That's my take, too. My big concern is durability.