PDA

View Full Version : Swimming in Munich

kmoehumphreys
March 27th, 2011, 07:09 PM
I am planning a visit to Munich soon and would love to swim there. Has anyone had experience recently swimming in the Olympic pool there? I have been looking online and it seems possible. If only I read German. Thanks.

Frank Thompson
March 27th, 2011, 07:47 PM
About a week ago, there was some information on this link about swimming in Munich. Hopefully this helps.

Swimming Europe - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums

jim clemmons
March 28th, 2011, 01:53 PM
This is a good site as well:

http://www.swimmersguide.com/

kmoehumphreys
March 28th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the links.

Daviewise
March 28th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Hi there. I spent a summer in Munich for work a couple of years ago and found lots of places to swim in Munich. My favorites were the Munich Olympic Stadium and the Dantebad (off the Gern U-Bahn stop).

Have fun! Munich is a beautiful city.

GGS5T
March 31st, 2011, 04:34 AM
I am planning a visit to Munich soon and would love to swim there. Has anyone had experience recently swimming in the Olympic pool there? I have been looking online and it seems possible. If only I read German. Thanks.

Make sure you swim in lane 4 at the Olympic pool. I did, at the world masters championships a few years ago.

Nice feeling knowing it was also used by Mark Spitz.

gobears
March 31st, 2011, 07:25 AM
Make sure you swim in lane 4 at the Olympic pool. I did, at the world masters championships a few years ago.

Pretty sure she's been in that pool in that lane before... :) Just not very recently.

kmoehumphreys
March 31st, 2011, 11:44 PM
Haha.... Loooooong time ago.

Frank Thompson
April 1st, 2011, 09:29 AM

Actually I would say she should swim in lane 5. In case you didn't know the person asking about this was Mark Spitz's counter part in the 200 Fly on the Women's side. Karen Moe won the 200 Fly after qualifying 2nd in the prelims to Ellie Daniel and won the gold medal in the final and set a World Record in the process.

That event in the 1972 Olympics was the last time a USA Women's team did a sweep of the first 3 places and the last time both USA Men and Women have sweep the same event at the Olympics.

rgh323
April 1st, 2011, 10:36 AM
I was in Munich this past November and swam in the Olympic Pool twice (once in mid-day and once in the early evening). The pool is generally open to the public from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. daily, 7 days a week. There is an entry fee of several euro (I don't remember the exact amount) per visit. The locker room is coed, with individual changing booths; there are lockers just outside the changing booths, which require a 1 euro coin (I believe) to use, so be sure and take some coins with you. The showers are on the way out to the pool deck and are separated by gender.

There are three lanes (in the center) available for lap swim; the right three lanes (as you come out onto the pool deck from the locker room) have had the lane lines taken out and were populated with an assortment of noodlers, recreational swimmers and families, but they won't interfere with your swimming. The left two lanes had the lane lines in, but when I was there, at least, they were occupied by a few individuals working out with coaches. I did not see any teams (masters, age group, etc.) when I went, but that may have just been my luck. The lanes were not crowded on either visit, but the swimmers weren't especially fast. It is still set up as the full 50 meters; no bulkheads. My son, who is living in Munich this year, has gone back since November and said if you go at 9:30 p.m. (or perhaps 9:00 p.m.?), the entry fee is reduced. It is even less populated as well.

Was back there for a few days in early March and went by the pool, although I didn't swim. The situation seems unchanged from what I described above, except that there was some external construction going on. The pool was still open for swimming, but there was a wooden wall around the outside and it took a few minutes to locate the entrance (Hint: the German word for "entrance" is "Eingang"; small signs with that word and directional arrows are plastered along the wall). Finally, because the walls on one side and one end of the facility are floor-to-ceiling glass, I was very glad to have brought a pair of tinted goggles along as the sunshine poured in and was quite bright.