PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with technique

NoMan
March 30th, 2011, 07:53 PM
A little background to start with, I quit martial arts at the beginning of high school to join a local swimming club. I swam for around two years before I started to lose interest in the club and quit during junior year.

Right now, Iím a college freshman whoís slightly horrified at how much weight he gained in a surprisingly short period of time, and I decided to whip myself into better shape, but I was surprised to find that my neck began to hurt, even during really short sets. The problem is Iím lifting my head waaaay back while breathing during breaststrokes and butterflies and my neck is very tense while swimming.
Iím aware of this and I really try to relax and correct it while working out, but is this enough? I know Iím really rusty, but is this something thatíll turn into a bad habit or go away as I get back into a rhythm? If so, any advise on correcting it?

On a related issue, I feel as though my left and right strokes arenít quite equal. Iím sure I can correct this, but does anyone have any tips on how to expedite the process?

I just joined the forum, and Iím looking forward to being here for quite awhile! Thankyou for any and all posts!

ande
March 31st, 2011, 12:44 PM
I've written about correcting technique in swim faster faster.
Tip 273 GRIND IT IN describes the process.
(I also edited it today)

when you swim butterfly and breastroke, concentrate on keeping your head neutral, look at the bottom of the pool. If you lift your head too high, your hips and thighs counter the movement by sinking lower. (which slows you down, it is an aqua brake) Pretend there is an iron rod in your neck and you can't bend it up. even if you are looking down on on breastroke, your insweep will lift your head enough to get a breath. You don't need to look at the end of the pool. You especially want your head neutral when you streamline after pushing off the wall and after each kick. RIDE THE GLIDE.

The only way to "expedite the process" is to GRIND IT IN
There's No quick fix.
We can't be programmed.
You have to be very motivated on making the improvement.

If you kinda want it, then you'll kinda try, and that isn't likely work.
If you intensely want it, then you'll ACT with intensity & keep after it for as long as it takes.

A little background to start with, I quit martial arts at the beginning of high school to join a local swimming club. I swam for around two years before I started to lose interest in the club and quit during junior year.

Right now, I’m a college freshman who’s slightly horrified at how much weight he gained in a surprisingly short period of time, and I decided to whip myself into better shape, but I was surprised to find that my neck began to hurt, even during really short sets. The problem is I’m lifting my head waaaay back while breathing during breaststrokes and butterflies and my neck is very tense while swimming.
I’m aware of this and I really try to relax and correct it while working out, but is this enough? I know I’m really rusty, but is this something that’ll turn into a bad habit or go away as I get back into a rhythm? If so, any advise on correcting it?

On a related issue, I feel as though my left and right strokes aren’t quite equal. I’m sure I can correct this, but does anyone have any tips on how to expedite the process?

I just joined the forum, and I’m looking forward to being here for quite awhile! Thankyou for any and all posts!

orca1946
March 31st, 2011, 12:50 PM
For this very reason, I breathe to the side on fly! This keeps my head down while allowing me to get a full breath - just like you would in free.