pwb
March 30th, 2011, 11:30 PM
http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats11/heats/

Let the trash talking begin and/or start playing "spot the sandbagger!"

jaadams1
March 31st, 2011, 12:43 AM
http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats11/heats/

Let the trash talking begin and/or start playing "spot the sandbagger!"

I'm NOT the sandbagger...I should be hitting my times if all goes as planned. I'll wait for the trash talking till afterwards!

pwb
March 31st, 2011, 01:14 AM
I'm NOT the sandbagger...I should be hitting my times if all goes as planned. I'll wait for the trash talking till afterwards!
RIGHT ON! That's the spirit.

knelson
March 31st, 2011, 09:51 AM
Looks like it's going to be fun! I've only looked at my events, but there's good depth in lots of events. I noticed there are 25 people entered in the 200 fly in the 40-44 age group. I think seeding will be interesting because lots of us are guessing now without the suits.

kristilynn
March 31st, 2011, 10:25 AM
Did anyone else notice that for some events limited age groups are displayed? For example, the women's 50 free only shows the 18-24 age group. However, when I clicked on the choice to display without age groups, all groups seemed to be represented.

jaadams1
March 31st, 2011, 11:19 AM
Looks like it's going to be fun! I've only looked at my events, but there's good depth in lots of events. I noticed there are 25 people entered in the 200 fly in the 40-44 age group. I think seeding will be interesting because lots of us are guessing now without the suits.

Why guess...just swim. (Is that why some of your seeded times look fast...:bolt:) No one has "the suits". I have my suit, you have your suit!! Just Swim! :) See ya next week at PNAs

matysekj
March 31st, 2011, 11:25 AM
Did anyone else notice that for some events limited age groups are displayed? For example, the women's 50 free only shows the 18-24 age group. However, when I clicked on the choice to display without age groups, all groups seemed to be represented.

I believe you're talking about printing the psych sheets. A few web browsers have an issue where they only print one page from our site with our site layout. Firefox 3.x had this problem, but it's fixed in the 4.0 update. I've heard that Safari on a Mac may have this problem also, at least for some versions, but it works fine on my PC with version 4. The latest Internet Explorer is also fine.

All data displays on all known browsers - it's just a printing issue on some browsers.

ElaineK
March 31st, 2011, 01:39 PM
Why guess...just swim. (Is that why some of your seeded times look fast...:bolt:) No one has "the suits". I have my suit, you have your suit!! Just Swim! :) See ya next week at PNAs

I used my PB times from last fall, but I haven't been able to hit them since. Hopefully, by Nationals, I will! No matter; I'm towards the bottom of my age group, anyway, so nobody will be paying much attention. :blush:

Hey, I noticed Janet Evans is not going to be at Nationals afterall. :badday:

kristilynn
March 31st, 2011, 01:47 PM
Thanks Jim. I am using Safari, so that's probably my issue.

knelson
March 31st, 2011, 02:30 PM
Why guess...just swim. (Is that why some of your seeded times look fast...:bolt:)

Easy for you to say since you don't have "suited" times. For those of us who do we needed to decide whether to use those times or something that may be more realistic. In my case I used my times from last year's PNAs in the events I swam there. I was suited, but not tapered. For the other events I went back to my times from 2009 Nationals (before the super suits). All my seed times are times in the USMS database, but not necessarily my fastest times.

aquageek
March 31st, 2011, 03:41 PM
Crickety crack, them damn west coasters are fast.

thewookiee
March 31st, 2011, 03:52 PM
Crickety crack, them damn west coasters are fast.

must resist the urge to comment.... oh hell, if you spent time doing speed training instead of training for a 6 hour postal swim then you would be with them. But no, mr. slow itch is afraid to develop a 6 beat kick cause it hurts his straw legs or move his arms faster than a 1.5 tempo because he might actually enjoy shorter distances, then you would be with those fast guys.

Karen Duggan
March 31st, 2011, 04:29 PM
:hijack:

I just wanted to let geek and wook know that I just got my Swimmer magazine. Because I've never met you, I didn't know what you looked like. You guys are adorable. :agree:

Karen Duggan
March 31st, 2011, 04:34 PM
BTW, I thought I heard/read somewhere that Janet Evans might swim at this meet? I don't see her name.

thewookiee
March 31st, 2011, 04:35 PM

I just wanted to let geek and wook know that I just got my Swimmer magazine. Because I've never met you, I didn't know what you looked like. You guys are adorable. :agree:

Thanks Karen. I must tell the truth about the photo, the Swimmer Staff had to do some airbrushing on Geek's photo. One of the staff members told me that they had to insert most of his teeth, straighten out his nose, insert some hair so that he wouldnt't be bald on top and elimnate the wad of snuff in his mouth.

According to the staffer, they spend several hours making his photo magazine ready.

aquageek
March 31st, 2011, 05:20 PM
must resist the urge to comment.... oh hell, if you spent time doing speed training instead of training for a 6 hour postal swim then you would be with them. But no, mr. slow itch is afraid to develop a 6 beat kick cause it hurts his straw legs or move his arms faster than a 1.5 tempo because he might actually enjoy shorter distances, then you would be with those fast guys.

Let me remind you of the immortal words of the author of the world's hottest swimming blog. He said, "Your two beat kick is a thing of utter beauty, more beautiful than rainbows and unicorns and puppy dogs."

So, shove it, furdingle!

jim clemmons
March 31st, 2011, 05:27 PM

Thanks Karen. I must tell the truth about the photo, the Swimmer Staff had to do some airbrushing on Geek's photo. One of the staff members told me that they had to insert most of his teeth, straighten out his nose, insert some hair so that he wouldnt't be bald on top and elimnate the wad of snuff in his mouth.

According to the staffer, they spend several hours making his photo magazine ready.

Yeah Karen, I was going to mention a magazine doesn't always do justice. Wait 'till you meet 'em in real life, then you can provide us with an upfront comment spoken from true experience.

:mooning:

pwb
March 31st, 2011, 07:08 PM
Let me remind you of the immortal words of the author of the world's hottest swimming blog. He said, "Your two beat kick is a thing of utter beauty, more beautiful than rainbows and unicorns and puppy dogs."I never said this. :bolt:

Glenn
March 31st, 2011, 07:24 PM
Jim,

I have a Mac too and I can't get all of the individual age groups to display either. It is not an issue of printing for me, ( well I suppose it is as I can't print it either), but it won't display most of the age groups on some and none on others. I have to go through the entire list and pick out my competitors, which made me go ever so slowly and carefully through the list (a good thing).

Can I do anything to get all of the age groups displayed? I don't need to print them out.

Thanks for any help you can give.

debaru
March 31st, 2011, 07:56 PM
BTW, I thought I heard/read somewhere that Janet Evans might swim at this meet? I don't see her name.

I believe SwimmingWorld posted this awhile back. I was hoping she would be there as well. Who knows, maybe she's swimming under her married name?

Oh, and I almost forgot -- I agree with Karen. Geek and Wookiee are really photogenic (a.k.a., adorable). :agree:

jaadams1
March 31st, 2011, 09:22 PM
Will Nationals be swum as 8 lanes or 10 lanes per heat?

Glenn
March 31st, 2011, 09:26 PM
Actually, nine lanes.

matysekj
March 31st, 2011, 09:36 PM
I have a Mac too and I can't get all of the individual age groups to display either. It is not an issue of printing for me, ( well I suppose it is as I can't print it either), but it won't display most of the age groups on some and none on others. I have to go through the entire list and pick out my competitors, which made me go ever so slowly and carefully through the list (a good thing).

Can I do anything to get all of the age groups displayed? I don't need to print them out.

All I can say is to try to reload/refresh the page if that happens to you, and if that doesn't work, download and install the Firefox browser and try that. I have never heard of this happening on these pages before (besides the printing issue).

The psych sheet page is perfectly valid HTML as proven here (http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usms.org%2Fcomp%2Fscnat s11%2Fheats%2Fpsych.php%3Fev%3D13%26x%3DM&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0&user-agent=W3C_Validator%2F1.2). I've looked through our server logs and not a single error has been generated for that page. All 7,000 views of the psych sheet page today have resulted in status code 200 - a successful request for the page. If you are seeing a partial page, I'm guessing it's a browser issue.

The web display of the psych sheets is the only way we offer it before the meet.

Glenn
March 31st, 2011, 09:54 PM
Jim,

WOW, refreshing the page did it!!

Thanks!!!!:applaud:

thewookiee
April 1st, 2011, 07:24 AM
Yeah Karen, I was going to mention a magazine doesn't always do justice. Wait 'till you meet 'em in real life, then you can provide us with an upfront comment spoken from true experience.

:mooning:

Jim,

I begged Laura to crop me and muppet out of the photo and to use your handsome face instead of mine. That photo was from lcm nats this summer when she took the photo of the 3 of us together.

thewookiee
April 1st, 2011, 07:28 AM
Let me remind you of the immortal words of the author of the world's hottest swimming blog. He said, "Your two beat kick is a thing of utter beauty, more beautiful than rainbows and unicorns and puppy dogs."

So, shove it, furdingle!

If you were doing a 2 beat kick, you must have been swimming the 50, that is the only time you kick in freestyle

Chris Stevenson
April 1st, 2011, 08:19 AM
All I can say is to try to reload/refresh the page if that happens to you, and if that doesn't work, download and install the Firefox browser and try that. I have never heard of this happening on these pages before (besides the printing issue).

The psych sheet page is perfectly valid HTML as proven here (http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usms.org%2Fcomp%2Fscnat s11%2Fheats%2Fpsych.php%3Fev%3D13%26x%3DM&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0&user-agent=W3C_Validator%2F1.2). I've looked through our server logs and not a single error has been generated for that page. All 7,000 views of the psych sheet page today have resulted in status code 200 - a successful request for the page. If you are seeing a partial page, I'm guessing it's a browser issue.

The web display of the psych sheets is the only way we offer it before the meet.

FWIW, I had the same issue on my iPad, using either Safari or another browser. Refreshing fixed it.

Jeff Commings
April 1st, 2011, 02:34 PM
I believe SwimmingWorld posted this awhile back. I was hoping she would be there as well. Who knows, maybe she's swimming under her married name?

It's my understanding that Janet did not submit her entry before the deadline. The same fate befell Misty Hyman as well, though Rob Butcher has told me she will be at the meet working with the video crew.

Kurt Dickson
April 2nd, 2011, 06:33 AM
It's my understanding that Janet did not submit her entry before the deadline. The same fate befell Misty Hyman as well, though Rob Butcher has told me she will be at the meet working with the video crew.
Deadline schmeadline...none of this stopped them from letting Gary Hall Jr. deck enter at Mission Viejo Nats 2004.:)

Glenn
April 2nd, 2011, 11:47 AM
Others may disagree, but I say let her swim. I think it would be good for masters swimming to have Janet Evans swim at our meet.

orca1946
April 2nd, 2011, 12:53 PM
Do swim stars sign their names for free or charge $$$$$ like base & foot & basket ball players ?

jaadams1
April 2nd, 2011, 01:16 PM
Do swim stars sign their names for free or charge $$$$$ like base & foot & basket ball players ?

I usually sign mine for free...but a special just for you --> $20 :banana:

That Guy
April 2nd, 2011, 03:37 PM
Others may disagree, but I say let her swim. I think it would be good for masters swimming to have Janet Evans swim at our meet.

I'd even sign a waiver that says "I acknowledge that Olympians can get special treatment. Gold medalists, even moreso. Rabble like That Guy do NOT get special treatment. By signing this waiver I am saying that everyone should just be cool with this. :groovy:"

orca1946
April 2nd, 2011, 07:23 PM
Cool ! Does that $20 include a nationals T shirt ?

Sandi Rousseau
April 4th, 2011, 04:44 PM
It would be wonderful if both Janet Evans and Misty Hyman could be in the meet. However, from the organizational view of a very large meet, the lever has to fall at some point to not allow anyone else to enter due to seeding, meeting printing deadlines for the program, etc.

With all due respect to Olympians and what they do for the sport of swimming, if we let them in late, we have opened the flood gates and have to let everyone else in who was late. The precedent for a nationals can be deadly and result in numerous protests, etc. If somehow it was done in Mission Viejo (and I don't know any details about that but will check it out), it should not have been done. There may also be something that you do not know about the entries for that meet.

pwb
April 4th, 2011, 09:23 PM

C'mon. How does a message about your intent to race at USMS Nationals get out multiple months in advance of the meet and then you miss the entry deadline? If they really intended to race and missed the entry deadline, so be it. I, for one, would love to see both Janet and Misty race, but I'm pretty sure Cullen Jones, Nick Brunelli and Mark Gangloff got their entries in on time last year for Atlanta, so it is possible for elite athletes to comply with the rules the rest of us follow. I also know that meets had entry deadlines back when Janet and Misty both raced in the last century, so it's not a foreign concept.

Deadline schmeadline...none of this stopped them from letting Gary Hall Jr. deck enter at Mission Viejo Nats 2004.:)
Oh, Kurt, you're still not over that Arizona HS debacle last fall with entry formats, deadlines, etc.

Bobinator
April 4th, 2011, 09:30 PM

I totally agree, both very cute!

mbmg3282
April 11th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I was the championship liaison to the 2004 Mission Viejo meet. Gary Hall did not deck enter the meet. Anyone that swam, was entered on time. Starting a year before that, the national office handled all entries for our championship meets. That has provided consistency in handling entries over the years.

knelson
April 11th, 2011, 09:37 AM
so it is possible for elite athletes to comply with the rules the rest of us follow.

Amen. Sorry, they don't deserve a free pass. I'd love to see them swim, but I expect them to enter the meet like everyone else. Rowdy always seems to get himself entered, just as one example.

Kurt Dickson
April 11th, 2011, 12:05 PM
I Anyone that swam, was entered on time.

Apologies for spreading nasty rumors. It would be cool to have Misty there...her 200 Fly at the Olympics brought tears to my eyes. I remember Janet Evan's first Junior Nationals was my first. Her 1650 was the most amazing thing I had ever seen. Rules are good I suppose...I am ok with celebrity exceptions though...athletic darwinism I think they call it.

orca1946
April 13th, 2011, 06:06 PM
O K now I am psyched UP :applaud::banana::bliss: