PDA

View Full Version : Worst Practices Ever

mcountryman
March 31st, 2011, 09:08 AM
After having what I considered to be a fairly decent meet last weekend, I am having a string of terrible workouts. I am used to having a bad day here and there, but this is ridiculous.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am still in my first year of competing so I am still learning what to expect and what is "normal" for me.

Speedo
March 31st, 2011, 09:45 AM
You can expect to have 2 or 3 days of uncomfortable workouts (or more) following a meet. I'd suggest warming down sufficiently after each event during the meet and drinking plenty of fluids. Still, you will feel it for a while. Take this as a good sign- that you had a good workout that weekend :)

gdanner
March 31st, 2011, 09:56 AM
Was it a multiple day meet or did you swim numerous events? I usually take Monday off (or use it as a recovery day) after a hard 2-3 day meet. How many days per week do you usually swim?

I will say, I had a rough entire week of practices after doing the 3k Postal in the fall. That was very unusual for me, but it was something I hadn't swum hard in years.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it extends into the next few weeks, you can post more information (types of practices and lengths, etc) and people will be happy to try and identify what the issue might be. Otherwise, I'd say you're probably just recovering from the meet.

Lump
March 31st, 2011, 10:07 AM
After having what I considered to be a fairly decent meet last weekend, I am having a string of terrible workouts. I am used to having a bad day here and there, but this is ridiculous.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am still in my first year of competing so I am still learning what to expect and what is "normal" for me.

Marianne,
I practiced Monday and Tues normally and was a bit tired and worn down too (moreso on Tues) after the weekends meet. Its pretty normal. Nothing wrong with taking a day off in the middle of the week to recover. Generally I use Wednesday as a dryland day and may or may not get in the pool and float 2-3K.

Just remember, its not always how you feel or do in workouts, but the effort you put forth.

pmccoy
March 31st, 2011, 10:08 AM
At the end of my last meet I was starting to get a cold. I decided to enjoy what was left of my taper monday morning and ended up paying dearly for it. Tuesday, I was sick in bed from exhaustion and a worse cold and the remainder of the week, I just wasn't myself.

orca1946
March 31st, 2011, 12:52 PM
Is this the 1st time?
What else is going on in your life?

mcountryman
March 31st, 2011, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the helpful comments.

Was it a multiple day meet or did you swim numerous events? I usually take Monday off (or use it as a recovery day) after a hard 2-3 day meet. How many days per week do you usually swim?

I will say, I had a rough entire week of practices after doing the 3k Postal in the fall. That was very unusual for me, but it was something I hadn't swum hard in years.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it extends into the next few weeks, you can post more information (types of practices and lengths, etc) and people will be happy to try and identify what the issue might be. Otherwise, I'd say you're probably just recovering from the meet.

It was a two day meet and I swam 8 events plus some relays. I usually swim 4-5 days a week. Hindsight, I probably should have taken Monday off, but I was eager to get back into a routine after doing a mini taper for the meet.

You can expect to have 2 or 3 days of uncomfortable workouts (or more) following a meet. I'd suggest warming down sufficiently after each event during the meet and drinking plenty of fluids. Still, you will feel it for a while. Take this as a good sign- that you had a good workout that weekend :)

I feel better knowing that other people experience this. I seem to do a good job warming up for my events, but not such a good job with warm down. I am still learning.

Marianne,
I practiced Monday and Tues normally and was a bit tired and worn down too (moreso on Tues) after the weekends meet. Its pretty normal. Nothing wrong with taking a day off in the middle of the week to recover. Generally I use Wednesday as a dryland day and may or may not get in the pool and float 2-3K.

Just remember, its not always how you feel or do in workouts, but the effort you put forth.

I'm glad to hear that it is normal. I guess I was thinking about total yardage of my events, I wasn't thinking about the effort that went into swimming them. I also have to realize that recovery at 46 is alot different
than it was when I was 14. I just tend to expect a lot from myself.

__steve__
March 31st, 2011, 02:07 PM
Just an average joe's impression, Maybe since you tapered yourself into meet peformance mode you have to slowly untaper yourself back into conditioning mode.

Michael Blatt
March 31st, 2011, 03:01 PM
I have discovered that there's a very strong relationship between how much I warm down at the end of a meet (each day of the meet for multi-day meets) and how I feel in the water the next day.

This was most definitely not the case for me 20+ years ago.

Now I do at least 500 yards of easy swimming after my last event and judging by the way I felt after my most recent (one-day sprint only) meet, that's going to have to increase considerably.

Unfortunately, part of aging is taking longer to warm up before swimming and warming down after (be it meet or workout).

ElaineK
March 31st, 2011, 03:13 PM
Funny, but I had the opposite experience on Sunday, after our meet. Evidently, the weekend storm caused a power outage at our pool and the heater went down over the weekend. :D On Monday, the temperature was 79- HEAVEN. So, my recovery swim quickly turned into a speed workout and I felt way better than I did after warming up in the kiddie pool and swimming that miserable 100 breaststroke, on Sunday!

Marianne, you have had such incredible improvements over the past year; it's amazing! You will be fine, in no time, I'm sure. Good luck! :cheerleader:

want2beafish
March 31st, 2011, 04:10 PM
Marianne, definitely normal! Especially with the events you swam and how well you swam them, I certainly wouldn't worry about a few "bad" practices the week afterwards. Actually, exceptionally good practices during the first part of the week could indicate a missed or poorly-timed taper. So actually, bad practices after a good meet are probably good. :)

Our coach usually does kind of a "reverse taper" with us after taper meets. So even if we feel a little sluggish the first couple practices after a meet, it doesn't matter as much. It's also a nice mental break to swim easy for a couple of days after a meet. That's as important as the physical.

swimcat
March 31st, 2011, 04:21 PM

I hear you girl. I am right with you and was at that same meet. I am thinking of quiting swimming:bitching:

ElaineK
March 31st, 2011, 05:17 PM
:bighug:
I hear you girl. I am right with you and was at that same meet. I am thinking of quiting swimming:bitching:

No, NO, NO! Don't do that, 'Cat! :bighug: If you aren't enjoying it right now, find a way to make it fun again! How about entering all different events at your next meet? Hey, think of it this way; you will have all personal best times! :D If you would rather not compete, how about taking time off from competition and just swim? You could even just go to a meet and volunteer to time, but not compete; just enjoying the social aspects of the meet, instead.

'Cat, think outside of the box (and, not the litter box) and think of ways to make it fun again. Buy some new pool toys, try some new drills, train some new events- whatever. But, I would hate to see you quit!

Hang in there!
:cheerleader:
P.S. I enjoyed meeting you at St. Pat's!

Celestial
March 31st, 2011, 07:58 PM

Surely you jest. NO ONE swims well after a meet - specially if you rest a bit for the meet - 2 & 3 day meets wear you out physically & mentally. Give yourself a break!

Oh, and I know it sounds silly, but check your biorhythms. . . if they were amazing during the weekend of the meet, it's a no brainer that they are going down right after.

hnatkin
March 31st, 2011, 08:00 PM
Hey Marianne! I usually like to go to practice the day after a meet in order to do a long, slow swim and work out all the lactic acid. Monday am thunderstorms ruined that this week. So I did that on Tues and felt really good but today's workout which was harder than Tues but not all out felt like I was struggling to keep up a good pace (Wed t-storms ruined practice yet again). And I'm sure it's just that I'm coming off my taper, which was extra long this month because of two weekends of meets in a row. Generally if I hit it right, I feel pretty good for a day or two after a meet and then it takes a few weeks to start feeling like my pacing is back to where it should be. Don't sweat it. The next big meet around here's not til June!

mcountryman
March 31st, 2011, 08:18 PM
Marianne, definitely normal! Especially with
the events you swam and how well you swam them, I certainly wouldn't worry about a few "bad" practices the week afterwards. Actually, exceptionally good practices during the first part of the week could indicate a missed or poorly-timed taper. So actually, bad practices after a good meet are probably good. :)

Our coach usually does kind of a "reverse taper" with us after taper meets. So even if we feel a little sluggish the first couple practices after a meet, it doesn't matter as much. It's also a nice mental break to swim easy for a couple of days after a meet. That's as important as the physical.

Kristin, thanks for that advice. It makes sense, it just didn't occur to me. I already feel better after seeing that others experience the same thing. It was just a first for me after a meet and I started to panic.

Funny, but I had the opposite experience on Sunday, after our meet. Evidently, the weekend storm caused a power outage at our pool and the heater went down over the weekend. :D On Monday, the temperature was 79- HEAVEN. So, my recovery swim quickly turned into a speed workout and I felt way better than I did after warming up in the kiddie pool and swimming that miserable 100 breaststroke, on Sunday!

Marianne, you have had such incredible improvements over the past year; it's amazing! You will be fine, in no time, I'm sure. Good luck! :cheerleader:

Elaine, you're right, I just need to swim through it. Thanks for your encouragement!!! I am glad that you got a break from the warm workouts.

Swimcat, please don't quit!! Take Elaine's advice. Take a small break if you have to or try something different for a while. If I have met you, I don't know you by Swimcat, so please introduce yourself to me at the next meet!!

Is this the 1st time?
What else is going on in your life?

Orca, thanks for that comment. It put things in perspective for me. Swimming is my reprieve from the daily stresses. I don't need to make it the source.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and experiences. I appreciate everyone's input. Even though I train alone, after posting this thread, I feel like I am definitely not alone!!

mcountryman
March 31st, 2011, 08:28 PM
Hey Marianne! I usually like to go to practice the day after a meet in order to do a long, slow swim and work out all the lactic acid. Monday am thunderstorms ruined that this week. So I did that on Tues and felt really good but today's workout which was harder than Tues but not all out felt like I was struggling to keep up a good pace (Wed t-storms ruined practice yet again). And I'm sure it's just that I'm coming off my taper, which was extra long this month because of two weekends of meets in a row. Generally if I hit it right, I feel pretty good for a day or two after a meet and then it takes a few weeks to start feeling like my pacing is back to where it should be. Don't sweat it. The next big meet around here's not til June!

Thanks Heidi, more great advice. After reading all the responses, I feel better about it already. It was great meeting you at the meet and I look forward to seeing you next time!

knelson
March 31st, 2011, 11:41 PM
Oh, and I know it sounds silly, but check your biorhythms

Wow, I haven't heard biorhythms mentioned since Earth Shoes were in style!

orca1946
April 1st, 2011, 12:36 PM
The phrase " As we age " now applies - use it as an excuse !!:cane::cake:

swimcat
April 1st, 2011, 02:30 PM
actually did not taper for meet because i have ynats coming up. it is hard to taper from 3300 anyway.
I am doing other training away from pool and it might be catching up.
i just need a vacation:)

swimcat
April 1st, 2011, 02:35 PM
Surely you jest. NO ONE swims well after a meet - specially if you rest a bit for the meet - 2 & 3 day meets wear you out physically & mentally. Give yourself a break!

Oh, and I know it sounds silly, but check your biorhythms. . . if they were amazing during the weekend of the meet, it's a no brainer that they are going down right after.

we don't have many meets in the galmsc like the florida lmsc. so i was probably flat. last meet for me was june of last year.

I came from florida lmsc where most meets were 2 day marathon meets( or so they seemed under the sun:) ). the one day meets are the killers for me.

nkfrench
April 3rd, 2011, 01:28 PM
I haven't been to a meet for a while, but my usual tradition for 2-day taper meets was to try to carpool to the meet [I get extremely drowsy on a long drive home]; I schedule a vacation day from work Monday [so I can handle the usual weekend chores and still get plenty of sleep].

I try to do a long warmdown after my last event Sunday. Monday was a recovery swim. Usually I do come back from the meets motivated to train harder with resolve to be faster for the next meet.

My events are generally 200 y/m & longer. Not to disrespect my peers who will swim a few 50's and one or two 100's, but the longer events create a different type of fatigue that can run deep.

I am more aware how dehydration/low electrolytes can kill your performance especially if you're outdoors in the sun on a hot day. If you get out of balance, it will take a while for your body chemistry to get back to normal. It's possible this is prolonging a post-meet slump.

Bobinator
April 4th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I feel better the week after if I use protein recovery drinks each day after the meet. I use "muscle milk" at home but this week-end in Florida I used Gatorade's new recovery stuff and it seems to work fine for me.
I only do this after meets. I know you should use it after regular workouts but I don't. Maybe that's why I get such a nice result from it.
Good luck! I think you'll be fine soon! :angel:

kgernert
April 4th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I feel better the week after if I use protein recovery drinks each day after the meet.

One of my teammates turned me onto the protein recovery drinks after I kept complaining of being tired and having "lead legs". I can't believe how much difference in my recovery time having a protein drink right after practice makes. But... you need to play around with them a bit, I think. The first brand I tried didn't make much difference at all, so I went into GNC and came away with one of their protein brands. It made a huge difference in how I feel day-to-day hitting the pool. However, it's expensive, so after nationals, I'm going to see if some of the other brands give the same decreased recovery time or not.

swimcat
April 4th, 2011, 06:13 PM
ultimate protein is a palatable drink. never used it after swimming though.
used it as a 3pm pick me up.
we are having pollen counts of 3200 upward so that could account for lack of energy and motivation here.