PDA

View Full Version : Getting back in shape

neurodoc
March 31st, 2011, 08:07 PM
Help needed! I have taken off from masters swimming for the past 6-8 months or so, and am trying hard to get back into swimming! any advice? i feel afraid that it is gong to hurt and I am not going to have the same feel for the water.

SLOmmafan
April 1st, 2011, 12:42 PM
Well, I am actually in the exact same boat...my daughter (1st kid) was born about 7 months ago and I have been effectively out of the water the whole time (give or take the occasional 800-1000 yard mini-swim).

My goal is to step it up to 3-4 times/week, at least 2000 yards.

Here are my quick thoughts:

1. Find a time you like to swim, and are most likely to stay with (if you hate mornings, don't say you will be there at 5 AM).

2. Find a friend or team; make someone hold you accountable.

3. Don't be discouraged that you feel out of shape; imagine it's your first time swimming and it is basically a whole new chance to improve.

4. Try not to go crazy and over-work; do an amount that feels good and gradually step it up.

qbrain
April 1st, 2011, 12:52 PM
Help needed! I have taken off from masters swimming for the past 6-8 months or so, and am trying hard to get back into swimming! any advice? i feel afraid that it is gong to hurt and I am not going to have the same feel for the water.

You are right!

My advice is take frequency over distance until you build back up to your old levels. 5x sub 2k workouts will probably ease you back into working out faster and safer than 3x3k.

Coming back after a short layoff is easier than a long layoff. You will be more frustrated with not knowing what is hard or easy time wise more than anything. It won't take long.