PDA

View Full Version : 15-milers near New England?

sydned
April 2nd, 2011, 09:55 AM
Hi there,
I am looking to up my longest race this summer, and would love to do a 15-mile, or something close to it. Anyone know of anything good? I know I could do the Kingdom Swim again, but I'd like to try something different.
Unfortunately, there are limited travel funds so drivable from Massachusetts is ideal.
Suggestions?
Thanks!

evmo
April 2nd, 2011, 11:13 AM
The list of 15 mile+ organized swims in the U.S. is not a long one.

- Manhattan Island (28.5)
- Tampa Bay (24)
- Ederle (17.5)
- Swim Across the Sound (15.5)
- USMS 25K in Noblesville (every 3 years)

In the 10-15 mile range are a few more.

- Distance Swim Challenge in LA (12.6)
- the two Swims Around Key West (12)
- RiverFest Endurance Swim in Oregon (11.7)
- Kingdom Swim (VT), Swim the Suck (TN), Deer Creek (UT), and the La Jolla Cove relay -- all 10 miles

See my full list (10K or more) at http://bit.ly/longswims
Let me know if I missed anything.

If proximity to MA is a priority, what about the Boston Light Swim? "Only" 8 miles but still a hell of a challenge. It's already sold out this year but maybe there's a waiting list.

ViveBene
April 2nd, 2011, 02:35 PM
Chaos is putting together the 8 Bridges swim, consecutive days of longish swims. Info on his blog.
Could you swim around Walden Pond a few times? Quabbin Reservoir?

Rob Copeland
April 2nd, 2011, 02:53 PM
There is also the 22.5 mile Atlantic City Marathon Swim. This is a great race!

evmo
April 2nd, 2011, 05:34 PM
There is also the 22.5 mile Atlantic City Marathon Swim. This is a great race!

Really? I'm under the impression this race is no longer held.

chaos
April 2nd, 2011, 06:09 PM
In order to more accurately present a timeline to the coast guard for the 8 Bridges swim in July, we are going to plan a few "test" stages this spring. We will likely do the first two stages on consecutive days.... they are Catskill to Rhinecliff and Rhinecliff to Poughkeepsie. Each is close to 20 miles. Since the water will be much colder than during the July event, it is possible that I might rubber-up.

Shoot me an e-mail if you want more info.

www.8bridges.org

dvdbarra@yahoo.com

chaos
April 2nd, 2011, 09:00 PM
See my full list (10K or more) at http://bit.ly/longswims
Let me know if I missed anything.

this list is awesome! well done evmo!

Jim B.
April 3rd, 2011, 12:16 AM
There is the possibility to do lots of long swims along the Cape Cod National Seashore. How about Nauset Inlet to Race Point. Keep an eye out for Whitey.

sydned
April 3rd, 2011, 04:58 PM
Dave, if you are contemplating rubber, I KNOW it would be way too chilly for me. I am not the bad*** you are, by any means. :)

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I am also contemplating setting something up for myself up here. There's something, however, about the motivation that comes with swimming with others.

I am looking at the Oregon Riverfest swim because I lived in Portland for 10 years, and it would be a great excuse for a visit!

Thanks everyone,
Syd

chaos
April 3rd, 2011, 06:08 PM
There's something, however, about the motivation that comes with swimming with others.

build it; and they will come

E=H2O
April 3rd, 2011, 07:51 PM
Dave, if you are contemplating rubber, I KNOW it would be way too chilly for me. I am not the bad*** you are, by any means. :)

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I am also contemplating setting something up for myself up here. There's something, however, about the motivation that comes with swimming with others.

I am looking at the Oregon Riverfest swim because I lived in Portland for 10 years, and it would be a great excuse for a visit!

Thanks everyone,
Syd

Oh, I didn't think he was going with neoprene for the water temp. I thought he was going kinky with latex.

I didn't swim the Riverfest last year because I was out of town, but my friends who did, had a fun time.

gregoc
April 4th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Syd,

If you want to keep it local I think the Swim Across the Sound is the best fit for you. 15.5-miles from Long Island back to CT. They just opened registration. Saturday, August 6, 2011, Captain's Cove, Bridgeport, Connecticut.
http://give.stvincents.org/page.aspx?pid=569 (http://give.stvincents.org/page.aspx?pid=569)

Also, we are forming an open-water group here in MA that will organize and sanction several long distance, solo swims (15+ miles) in Boston Harbor, Mass Bay and the surrounding waterways (Including the 16-mile Boston Light Double swim). Feel free to contact me if you want to be one of the first.

Greg

jkormanik
April 4th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Evmo - Thanks for the list. I've bookmarked that sucker! Make sure you update it next year!!!

mjtyson
April 9th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Evmo - Thanks for the list. I've bookmarked that sucker! Make sure you update it next year!!!

Evan and I have worked together, his list of 10K and longer US swims, and my list of 10K and longer European swims on my blog here: http://tinyurl.com/3te2zr5