PDA

View Full Version : open abdominal surgery

Susan
April 2nd, 2011, 11:57 AM
Can anyone tell me how long I should wait before swimming after open exploratory abdominal surgery? My doctor says 6 months. That seems excessive to me. Any experiences with this?

couldbebetterfly
April 2nd, 2011, 12:30 PM
A friend had to wait 12 weeks after her c-section, those muscles down the front had torn during pregnancy as well though. She felt it was excessive, but went with the Drs opinion, and was back to being faster than me again in no time!

orca1946
April 2nd, 2011, 12:44 PM
My replaced hip was 6 weeks b4 getting into the pool, so that might be a bit long.

swimshark
April 2nd, 2011, 02:39 PM
Are you going to be cut open or will it be arthroscopic? I had a -section and only had to be out for 6 weeks. I've also had several other arthroscopic surgeries and only had to be out a few days.

Susan
April 2nd, 2011, 02:56 PM
I have a six inch incision right down the middle. It was a terrible series of mistakes by my doctor, so I don't trust her advice about recovery. Thanks for any help.

gull
April 2nd, 2011, 03:04 PM
Six weeks would be more typical.

pmccoy
April 2nd, 2011, 05:47 PM
I have a six inch incision right down the middle. It was a terrible series of mistakes by my doctor, so I don't trust her advice about recovery. Thanks for any help.
My wife just had her gall bladder removed. Fortunately, it was a succesful Laporascopic surgery and she was doing great after just 3 days. Full recovery has taken a week. They warned us that if something went wrong, they may have to cut her open and recovery would take 4-6 weeks. The doctor may have meant 6 weeks. I'd check with him again just to be sure. Check and see if he makes a distinction between recovery time and full exercise time. If there is a reason you can't swim once you are recovered, he should give it to you.

Karen Duggan
April 2nd, 2011, 06:43 PM
After each of 4 C-sections I was back in the water practicing at 2 weeks. My doc said I just had to wait for the incision to heal.