PDA

View Full Version : Deciding which events to swim

couldbebetterfly
April 2nd, 2011, 09:15 PM
Is it better to enter an event where you would place 6th out of 8 entrants, or one where you would place 14th out of 23?

Discuss :D

Swimosaur
April 2nd, 2011, 10:12 PM
It is better to enter the event you want to swim.

Atlantic
April 3rd, 2011, 10:23 AM
Don't worry about where you will place. Swim the events you have trained for!

=)

That Guy
April 3rd, 2011, 01:18 PM
Ande says train everything and swim anything: U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster

If you read his blog, you can see that he's practicing what he preaches this weekend at his Zone meet.

The idea of getting at least one lifetime top ten in all 53 pool events (I think it was first discussed here TOP TEN - It's all that matters ! - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums and then continued in other threads) is compelling. It's a loooooong term goal because of the number of swims involved and how far from top ten level I am in some of the events. It will probably take decades to get my name into the 50 breaststroke rankings (among others), but I'll keep trying!

nkfrench
April 3rd, 2011, 02:34 PM
What is your objective for this meet?
Is it a season-ending championship where you want to see the culmination of your training?
Is it a team focus meet? Is your team needing a couple of points from your swim?
Is it time to get past a stale spot and try events you haven't swum for a while or have never tried?

Psych sheets do just that = psyche you up or psyche you out.

Being seeded x out of y doesn't mean that's how you'll finish. Seed times don't match performances, people scratch/DQ, deck entries, etc. That's why we have to actually swim! :)

orca1946
April 3rd, 2011, 04:39 PM
If it is for the team :cheerleader:- go for the 6th & points !!:2cents::2cents:
If it's an event that you want to try - do what you want & have fun !:banana:

ElaineK
April 3rd, 2011, 06:02 PM
It is better to enter the event you want to swim.

Exactly! I was going to say the same thing, Swimosaur! :applaud:

'Fly, which event would you enjoy swimming more? Which event presents a greater challenge; one you hope to conquer? For me, my 200 breaststroke time, relative to my 50 breaststroke time, is pathetic. :drowning: I could make it really easy on myself and swim the 50 freestyle instead, but I won't (unless I swim it in addition to the 50, 100, and 200 breaststroke events). I am determined to conquer the beast and I want to conquer it, so that's what motivates me to perservere.

Swim what you want to swim and swim the event that would give you greater personal satisfaction. :cheerleader:

couldbebetterfly
April 3rd, 2011, 06:18 PM
Its mostly hypothetical - I was just psyching myself out by looking at the national sheets where I'm not entered. However in the past, if 2 events I want to swim end up back to back, I have had to choose.

As far as satisfaction goes....I expect to get a LOT of satisfaction completing the 200 fly but am likely to be really slow, so getting, say a 6th place would seem like "cheating", whereas still being able to pull off a fast-for-me 50 fly feels great until I look at the long list of sprinters faster than me. Just wondering how the rest of you think.....

I like the idea of top 10 in everything once, but I'd need to live a long long time to get top 10 in a 50!

orca1946
April 3rd, 2011, 08:50 PM
"Live long & post fast times" :D

Karl_S
April 3rd, 2011, 10:54 PM
Its mostly hypothetical - I was just psyching myself out by looking at the national sheets where I'm not entered. However in the past, if 2 events I want to swim end up back to back, I have had to choose.
What's the dilemma? The 200 fly at Auburn is between the 200 MR, which is no big deal you only have to swim a 50, and the 100 back, which I am pretty sure, based on your posts, you don't intend to swim.

As far as satisfaction goes....I expect to get a LOT of satisfaction completing the 200 fly but am likely to be really slow, so getting, say a 6th place would seem like "cheating", whereas still being able to pull off a fast-for-me 50 fly feels great until I look at the long list of sprinters faster than me. Just wondering how the rest of you think.....
Swimming slow and placing 6th isn't cheating, it just depends on who shows up. You can't control that. (... well I suppose you could try bodily harm, but that *would* be cheating.) Swimming a pr isn't any less of an accomplishment if you get smoked by the rest of the field. I'd say 6th in one of your weak events against a slow field and a pr in a fast field are both satisfying, each in a different way. Try for both I say.

I like the idea of top 10 in everything once, but I'd need to live a long long time to get top 10 in a 50!
I'd like to start with TT in *something* once, and take it from there.

Allen Stark
April 4th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Neither is "better",but I think a 6th place in the 200 fly is impressive even if there are only 6 swimmers.The reason there are so few swimming it is because it is HARD.That said,I find much joy in swimming fast and the 50s are the best races to swim fast(I am not talking about fast relative to the other swimmers,I am talking about the joy of going through the water AFAP.)

chowmi
April 4th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Placing at nationals is a big thrill. So if the dilemma is between doing a good time vs. strategically entering an event that you could medal in, then I would always go for the hardware event!!!

There are plenty of opportunities to swim your other events, like at the DAMM Feb meet or zone meet and load up on your 10 max events.

I have specifically entered the 200 fly (circa 2006 Coral Springs?) when I wasn't in good shape - but I thought it was actually possible to place highest in this event since people bail at the end of nationals, and in particular, very highly attended nationals where the meets are long. And I won it! I did not "cheat", and yes, I believe I totally deserved it!!! I showed up, and only about 4 other girls did, too! Pick & choose your events wisely, I say!

You are less than 1/2 way into your lifelong swimming career. The way I look at it, it all evens out in the end. Sometimes it will be a default slam dunk, and other times you have to really fight just to get close but maybe not get the place you wanted.

For instance, SVDL doesn't request splits - so one year, I actually got #1 times in the 50 & 100 SCM breast! But last year, I was simply too lazy to submit any USA times for masters, so I missed out on a #1 in LCM 50 free.

So you see, it evens out in the end, and they all end up going in the "lifetime achievement" pile. And I have many decades left in the tank!!!! Ok, maybe one decade less than YOOOUUU!!!!!

There is no right or wrong goal. It can be as silly or as noble as you want. I have, as stated above, done the "where can I place?" strategy, along with the "i'm swimming my bestest events no matter what!" to "which events can I swim around Nadine Day?" or "which events can I get BIG medals (top 3) at nationals" to "Major 3/Minor 3" events (ie, my big gun 3 events, and then totally-blow-off-chase-anyone-else-down events). It's all for fun!!!!

couldbebetterfly
April 4th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Placing at nationals is a big thrill. So if the dilemma is between doing a good time vs. strategically entering an event that you could medal in, then I would always go for the hardware event!!!

I'm liking your thinking.......but not going to Auburn this summer....and I have done that before - it was my main reason for getting into doing the 200 fly in the first place (10 years ago) except I came in 4th!

I have specifically entered the 200 fly (circa 2006 Coral Springs?) when I wasn't in good shape - but I thought it was actually possible to place highest in this event since people bail at the end of nationals, and in particular, very highly attended nationals where the meets are long. And I won it! I did not "cheat", and yes, I believe I totally deserved it!!! I showed up, and only about 4 other girls did, too! Pick & choose your events wisely, I say!

Had that happen too once, on the 800 free, last event of the day, most people went home and I went on to win out of the 3 of us!

Sometimes it will be a default slam dunk, and other times you have to really fight just to get close but maybe not get the place you wanted. Totally agree, although I can get very de-motivated or maybe demoralised coming in 9th out of 10, where there is a huge gap between me & 10th place while 6,7,8,9 are within 1/2 sec of each other - seems to happen mostly on 200 free...

It's all for fun!!!!

:applaud: Absolutely! Please remind me of that when its time for me to swim the 200 fly this June at SMU!

Redbird Alum
April 4th, 2011, 01:23 PM
The "real" answer is... swim 'em both!

The only reason not to is because you have run out of meet entries!

Allen Stark
April 4th, 2011, 03:10 PM
The "real" answer is... swim 'em both!

The only reason not to is because you have run out of meet entries!

Or you want to swim one of them fast.No less of an authority than Dennis Baker said if you want to swim fast times,don't swim too many events.