PDA

View Full Version : Do other swimmers worry about shoulders outside of pool?

rtodd
April 3rd, 2011, 10:06 AM
I am always worrying about tearing something in my shoulders when doing work outside of pool. Yesterday I was turning over my garden and a few times I moved my arm the wrong way and I felt a pain and thought I was going to tear something. It has come up other times as well.

Is it normal?

Atlantic
April 3rd, 2011, 10:21 AM
Absolutely! I've had shoulder probs since college and I have to be very careful. For example, when I try to reach for something in the back of the car (while driving). I can feel that little pull/discomfort and just have to stop what I'm doing!

smontanaro
April 3rd, 2011, 03:29 PM
Normal for me, especially with a grandson to cart around on occasion. (And gardening.)

orca1946
April 3rd, 2011, 04:36 PM
My wife broke her wrist digging out weeds !!:cane:

no200fly
April 3rd, 2011, 05:25 PM
I have tried to do things that don't strain my shoulders. A couple of weeks ago, though, I had a freakish fall while skiing and broke both shoulders and a couple of ribs - so you can't really ever be safe.

My doctor is acting like I won't be able to swim again, but I don't believe him. I think shoulders are stronger than people give them credit for.

ElaineK
April 3rd, 2011, 06:05 PM
I have tried to do things that don't strain my shoulders. A couple of weeks ago, though, I had a freakish fall while skiing and broke both shoulders and a couple of ribs - so you can't really ever be safe.

My doctor is acting like I won't be able to swim again, but I don't believe him. I think shoulders are stronger than people give them credit for.

:bighug: Sorry to hear about your skiing accident! Good luck with your recovery; I hope it's a speedy one!

orca1946
April 3rd, 2011, 08:53 PM
OUCH x 2 ! ! ! How did you do that? You must have tumbled a few times !!

Karen Duggan
April 3rd, 2011, 11:47 PM
I do now!
(see blog)

jessicafk11
April 4th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Absolutely! I'm mindful of how I sit at my desk at work as I believe that causes pain when my chair is too low and my shoulders shrug up while typing. I'm careful while shoveling (this past wonter was rough on my shoulders). When I reach up in a cupboard for something, when I lay down to sleep at night, when I pick up the dog to put her in the car are all times I think about my shoudlers. I also need to make sure the dog does not pull me on walks as that can cause some discomfort.

There are probably very few times I am not thinking about my shoulders on some level. They are getting better and I want them to continue to do so.

norascats
April 4th, 2011, 10:15 AM
My shoulder was badly torn last summer when my two dogs flushed a rabbit and knocked me down. I couldn't move the arm for a month. i had the help of a wonderful chiropractor. It took till January before I could really use the arm in swimming and complete a workout. I still have some weakness and need to avoid overcompensation. I did a lot of kicking, a lot of riding over my arms, and quite a bit of breaststroke. I'm still afraid of fly.
to answer the question, yes I am very aware of my shoulders and keeping them strong and healthy.

kgernert
April 4th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Absolutely! While my shoulders haven't been "broken" at all, there are times when they really hurt. A vast majority of that was resolved after stroke technique improvements. Simple strength also helps. I now do "light" lifting (on my Total Gym) and that also helps keep the pinches away. But... if my shoulders aren't feeling right and we have a pull set, the paddles stay in the bag.

Redbird Alum
April 4th, 2011, 02:14 PM
I gave up "worrying". It doesn't change anything.

Better to have a plan as to what you will and will not do, and stick to it.

If something comes up that's not on your plan, start out slow, measure the impacts and then decide which column it goes under.

rtodd
April 4th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I gotta be carefull from everything from reaching in the back seat of the car to pulling up covers on the bed, just about everything where my arms come out away from my body. I now think this is "normal", just checking with everyone else.

no200fly
April 4th, 2011, 10:22 PM
:bighug: Sorry to hear about your skiing accident! Good luck with your recovery; I hope it's a speedy one!

Thanks - it's slow and painful.

no200fly
April 4th, 2011, 10:55 PM
OUCH x 2 ! ! ! How did you do that? You must have tumbled a few times !!

I fell forward and put both arms out to break the fall. Both arms broke where the tendons/muscles join the upper portion of the humerus. I also broke 2 ribs. Until they heal, I am supposed to keep my arms down to my side.

If anybody has any experience with similar injuries, I would appreciate input on how long the recovery was and how much strength/mobility you lost. My surgeon told me he didn't think I would get back enough range of motion to swim, but I find that hard to believe. I have dealt with a lot of shoulder pain in the past and was able to compensate with exercise and stretching. I don't know why this would be any different.