PDA

View Full Version : I know there is an open swimming forum but WOW!

marchep
April 4th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Lance Armstrong swam in a 2.4 mile open water swim this past weekend and was only beaten by two professional triathletes (he finished 3rd overall according to insidetri). He swam the distance in 49+ minutes and missed out on the win by only 22 seconds. This is as impressive as a swim as I have seen in a long time considering the time he has taken off and he is 40.

orca1946
April 4th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Most people forget he was a really good triathlete back b 4 he stayed on the bike !

marchep
April 4th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Agreed. He was a great triathlete in his late teens but considereing he has triained on the bike for the past 20 years with a little bit of running this is very impressive.

Karen Duggan
April 4th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I remember reading part of his book and it did say he was a really good swimmer.

Good for him doing so well. :bow:

ande
April 4th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Impressive, he swam in HS, then became a triathlete, then a cyclist.
He trains with several friends of mine in Austin.

Lance Armstrong swam in a 2.4 mile open water swim this past weekend and was only beaten by two professional triathletes (he finished 3rd overall according to insidetri).
He swam the distance in 49+ minutes and missed out on the win by only 22 seconds. This is as impressive as a swim as I have seen in a long time considering the time he has taken off and he is 40.

swimshark
April 4th, 2011, 08:23 PM
The building that houses the pool at the Nike campus in Oregon is named for him. He then named the pool after his swim coach. Yes, he's a good swimmer!

knelson
April 5th, 2011, 01:26 AM
This is as impressive as a swim as I have seen in a long time considering the time he has taken off and he is 40.

He probably hasn't been sitting on his couch eating bonbons. Hell, he just competed in the Tour de France last summer. With his incredible VO2 Max and previous swimming experience there's no question he could be a great open water swimmer (or probably distance swimmer in the pool) if he wanted to be.

rtodd
April 5th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Don't think he rolled out of bed and did that. Like Ande says, he trains and will not show up to an event and embarass himself.............. I think the NYC Marathon was an eye opener for him though.

I think that works out to a 1:10 100yd pace. That's fast. That time would get him out of the water around top 5 in Hawaii, of course he would embrass the field on the bike......then there is the run. Great triathletes are great runners, they figure the rest out later.