PDA

View Full Version : face burns after swim



kedougou
April 4th, 2011, 04:11 PM
When I swim for a hour or more, my face starts to burn about 10-15 min after I get out and keeps burning for about an half hour. It feels hot to the touch, like a moderate sunburn. The rest of my skin gets a bit red but my face down right hurts. I tried face wash which didn't help and lotion which made it worse. Anyone else have this problem? Ideas to fix it?
thanks

orca1946
April 4th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Go to a Doc. This is not normal ! What do they use in the pool? Ask them.

Speedo
April 4th, 2011, 04:46 PM
This happens to me every 6mos or so, but it lasts for several hours. It's very uncomfortable, and happened to me recently after swimming at the Montgomery Aquatic Center in Bethesda, MD. I was told to try glycerin soap after I swim, but I have not tried that yet, since it is very sporadic. I'll likely get some soon and carry it in my swim bag in case it happens again.

kedougou
April 4th, 2011, 04:55 PM
thanks for the responses. I am new to swimming so I thought I just needed to get used to the chlorine. I'll check to see if their is anything unusual with the pool. They have been closed several times in the past 2 or 3 weeks for drain issues and to "shock" it.... It may be better to find a more reliable pool.

Karen Duggan
April 4th, 2011, 04:57 PM
I have THE most sensitive skin so I feel your pain!
We swim outdoors so I know the difference between a sunburn and a chemical burn.
Our pool has a lot of chlorine. I find that if I wash my face right after swimming (usually with Dove) and then put Vitamin D cream (only Vitamin D) on it, I don't have that burning from the chemicals. The D cream is kind of thick and greasy, so I don't put a lot, but it soaks into my skin really well.

I also have noticed that the burning is not as bad (sun or chemical) if I put sunscreen on first.

Hope this helps.

kedougou
April 4th, 2011, 05:21 PM
thanks!
i'll give the cream a try

hnatkin
April 4th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Ask the other swimmers at the pool. Normally I never have a problem but I've definitely been in pools where there is something wrong with the chemical balance and it's blatantly obvious to everyone.

orca1946
April 5th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Bring the burning issue to the pool manager !!
I also agree with the face creams !

poolraat
April 5th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Bring the burning issue to the pool manager!

One time during lap swim the chemistry was really out of whack. It left a dry puckery feeling in my mouth. The pool manager and head lifeguard were guarding at the time and when I mentioned this to them they looked at me like I was nuts. And denied that there was a problem. It also left my skin really itchy and turned my black suit an ugly greenish grey. When swim team came in later that day, they told the coach there had been a problem and that they were trying to get it back into acceptable range. Gotta love management!

Karen Duggan
April 5th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Clarification: The stuff I use is pure Vitamin E cream, not D. Darn alphabet!
I just buy the generic stuff and it's about $4/jar.

A.K.
April 5th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I'd like to think on the positive side and say you were swimming really really REALLY fast and the shear force of the water rushing past created the sensation. :D

on serious note...

Maybe bring a small pool test kit.

It sounds like high chlorine, especially if they shocked it.

At least it has chlorine, I've been to the LA Fitness in Cape Coral FL and there have been many times where there was no chlorine at all. The health dept. had to close the pool a few times because of it. YUCK!

EJB190
April 7th, 2011, 10:18 PM
I would definitely look into using some lotion before and after your skin. When the chlorine meets the oxygen in air it dries out your skin. Once you're skin is dried out, it will just burn.

This used to happen to me on my triceps. Wearing a T-shirt became painful haha.

Water-For-Life
April 8th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I used to get this all the time, and I finally figured out that it had to do with the lotion I used before I swam. I also get it more often when I do dryland (sweat) before swimming, but I learned that if I just rinse my face with water after dryland and before entering the pool, it helped a lot. Good luck!

norascats
April 9th, 2011, 07:09 AM
I get it all over. The worst is on my back where I can't reach it. My best defense is something called hot spot spray. It is sold in the feed store and intended for dogs. It cools and soothes my skin. Don't know how it would work on my really hairy dogs.
This problem seems to go away in summer when I get more sun and sweat more.