PDA

View Full Version : 5K open water newbie

muchap
April 5th, 2011, 11:31 AM
This September I will be swimming my first 5K open water swim (just throwing myself into this). Does anyone have a training program for a 5K? I am a hardcore runner and have done marathons and half ironmans (open water 1.2 swims). As a runner I crave day-to-day specific training plans.
I consider myself a good swimmer (thinking on trying for a 1:20 - 1:25 5K) and/or an intermediate. The swim is Big Shoulders in Chicago, so if anyone is training at Oak Street Beach let me know!!!

Chicken of the Sea
April 5th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Hi,

check out openwaterchicago.com. they're also on facebook and twitter. There are a hardcore bunch who swim at North Avenue beach (to Oak st and back) all through winter (wetsuits). I go sans wetsuit so will hopefully start joining them soon. I'm planning on Big Shoulders and a few longer swims this year so am always in need of training partners. I'm about a 30 min mile in OW, sometimes less depending....

I also swim mainly at Promontory Point, on the south side. Great place! My favorite. Evmo from the forum here swims there too. PM me and I'll let you know when we're starting up.

evmo
April 5th, 2011, 07:48 PM
This September I will be swimming my first 5K open water swim (just throwing myself into this). Does anyone have a training program for a 5K? I am a hardcore runner and have done marathons and half ironmans (open water 1.2 swims). As a runner I crave day-to-day specific training plans.
I consider myself a good swimmer (thinking on trying for a 1:20 - 1:25 5K) and/or an intermediate. The swim is Big Shoulders in Chicago, so if anyone is training at Oak Street Beach let me know!!!

Patrick,

Congrats on signing up for Big Shoulders - you'll love it!

Knowing only that you're a "good/intermediate" swimmer, it's tough to offer more than generalities. But I think you could do worse than to:
- Join a Masters team;
- Attend as many practices as you can fit in your schedule;
- Supplement with occasional long open-water swims to build your cold tolerance and navigational IQ.

5K is an endurance event, but still short enough that building your speed will help. Masters workouts will help with both. I personally have experience with Chicago Masters (http://www.chicagomasters.com) and Chicago Blue Dolphins (http://www.chicagobluedolphins.com) - both are excellent options.

There are a variety of ad-hoc open water groups around here. Ohio Street Beach is popular with triathletes - show up most any morning and you're likely to find them. As Chick-o'-Sea mentioned, Promontory Point is another option (to my mind, the best). Come join us!

E=H2O
April 5th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Get a copy of the Bible: Open Water Swimming by Penny Lee Dean

Chicken of the Sea
April 5th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Free parking at Promontory, and the Bonjour Bakery made me the woman I am today....

rtodd
April 10th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Be sure your swim plan leading up the event includes a few straight 5K swims. I am primarily an IM'r and rarely due continuous freestyle swims over 400 yards and workouts much over 4K.

I did my first 5K swim last year and things went great until 4K when my right should became inflamed. I was reduced to 1000 meters of easy backstroke and breastroke.

Like they say, do in practice what you will do on race day.