PDA

View Full Version : Head Motion

bowyer954
April 6th, 2011, 02:50 PM
I need help! I struggle with my head motion while swimming freestyle. Am I correct in stating that the head remains pointing straight ahead (eyes on the bottom) when the body rotates to the side and arm starts to enter the water? The body pivots around the head accept when breathing--is this right? Appreciate any help.

Redbird Alum
April 6th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Yep... you got it. Keep the head neutral and the body rotates on the center (or long) axis from head to toe. Same is true in backstroke.

Free and back are the long axis strokes. Breast and Fly are considered short axis strokes (across the hips).

bowyer954
April 6th, 2011, 04:09 PM
I was fearfull that was the answer!

gdanner
April 6th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I need help! I struggle with my head motion while swimming freestyle. Am I correct in stating that the head remains pointing straight ahead (eyes on the bottom) when the body rotates to the side and arm starts to enter the water? The body pivots around the head accept when breathing--is this right? Appreciate any help.

Correct.

My club team uses these snorkels regularly with the age groupers. Worth checking out:

http://www.finisinc.com/equipment/Snorkels/Swimmers-Snorkel

Swimmer's Snorkel

The Swimmer's Snorkel places greater emphasis on proper body alignment as it is specifically designed to allow athletes to relax in the water and maintain a completely laid out, horizontal position.

ande
April 6th, 2011, 10:05 PM
do it like this

YouTube - Michael Phelps freestyle multi angle camera

bowyer954
April 6th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Thanks that helped. I think I roll too much and that causes
excess head movement.

norascats
April 9th, 2011, 08:21 AM
I keep my head aligned with my body. I roll to breathe.

geochuck
April 9th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I will continue to let my body roll and my head is attached to the body by the neck bone, so it must follow the body rotation.

ande
April 11th, 2011, 10:31 AM
have someone video you swimming freestyle
from the following angles:
1) towards them,
2) from the side
3) from underwater and
4) from above, from a 3 meter board or 5 meter platform

you need to see what you are doing
put them on youtube, post the links here and ask for suggs

ande

bowyer954
April 11th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Appreciate the thought but none of that technology is available at my location. I have adjusted bth my arm motion and head rotation and seem to be getting more bang for my buck--thanks!

geochuck
April 11th, 2011, 10:09 PM
All you need is an underwater camera and take 10 or 15 second videos from Ande's recommended angles and post them. I am sure someone will critique your stroke.