PDA

View Full Version : Swimming options in Atlanta

pmccoy
April 7th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I may be spending a couple days in Atlanta next week and wanted to coordinate a hotel within range of swimming and work. I should be working in the downtown area (couple miles north of I 20 on I 75/85).

* Early morning or evening workouts would be fine.
* I don't mind freestyle workouts but I like to have some stroke mixed in
* I'm used to 3.5K to 5K
* I prefer a masters group but I'll swim solo if necessary
* Inexpensive is good

The Georgia Masters website is helpful but it was hard to tell which pool would fit me best. At least there are lots of options. Can anyone in the Atlanta area point me in the right direction?

hnatkin
April 7th, 2011, 01:44 PM
The closest workout to downtown is with the Rainbow Trout at GA Tech (the 96 Olympic pool). They only have evening workouts and not everyday - check their website for the latest

Emory am workouts are at the Briarcliff campus indoor pool 5:45-7:15am. Good sized workout groups with all ability levels. Emory evening workouts are now outside at the Clairmont campus. And if you are here on Sun morning, 8am workout is also at the outdoor pool. $10 drop in. Probably 15-20 minute drive from downtown for either pool.

Pace Academy workouts 6-7:15ish. This is where I train during the week. Very small workout group - me +1 or 2 and then a bunch of fitness swimmers doing their own thing but not in your way and not noodlers. I'm always happy to have new workout buddies :) Coach provides a workout but not very interactive on deck. Pool is about 15 minutes from downtown off 75N. $10 drop in

Dynamo Masters - pretty sizeable group with good swimmers but lousy pool and locker rooms. The info on the website should be correct. About 20 mins from downtown off 85N.

jaadams1
April 7th, 2011, 02:22 PM
$10 drop in!!!!!!????!????!!!!

No thanks...I'd be able to wait a few days without a swim for that. We let anyone Masters registered hop in with us for nothing...almost the same price we pay to swim. :)

pmccoy
April 7th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks Heidi, that's exactly what I was looking for... wonder if Dynamo has similar drop-in rates? James, I'm the same way about the drop-in rate but I swim uncoached in a small city at a fairly nice (but small) city subsidized pool. $10 covers my whole family for over a week. I expected higher rates in a bigger city though. I get back problems if I spend more than a day or two out of the pool. With all the driving I'm going to be doing, I need to find something.

hnatkin
April 7th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Dynamo is $12! If you want to swim with a group, I'd suggest you go to Emory. It's closer than Dynamo. They do mixed workouts so you can decide to do stroke or free and just come to agreement with your lanemates about what you want to do. Pools and locker rooms are much nicer than Dynamo, too.

ElaineK
April 7th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Hey Peter, I have an awesome place where you can swim (and, no, it's not the 86 degree noodler pool where I live...), if you don't mind driving 50 or so minutes south! :banana:

pmccoy
April 7th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Hey Peter, I have an awesome place where you can swim (and, no, it's not the 86 degree noodler pool where I live...), if you don't mind driving 50 or so minutes south! :banana:I'll be sure to pack my own noodles then:D

I knew you were pretty far south. Only way I could make that work is evenings.

Heidi, thanks again. Since I'll be coming in from I75 north, I'll probably stay in that area. Emory and Pace both sound great... will try out one or both.

want2beafish
April 8th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Emory evening workouts are now outside at the Clairmont campus. And if you are here on Sun morning, 8am workout is also at the outdoor pool.
Hey Heidi, do you still go to the Emory Sunday workout regularly? Is the pool LCM? I hope?!?!

hnatkin
April 8th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Yes - last week was the first Sunday outdoors. Generally we start LCM when it's warm enough to leave the cover off the pool 24/7 otherwise it takes too much time to take off the covers AND reset the lane lines. So probably still short course this weekend.

hnatkin
April 8th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Correction. The coach just sent an email telling everyone to show up at 7:30 so we can uncover the pool and set up long course. If 10 people show up that early, then we will have long course practice on Sunday this week.

want2beafish
April 8th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Correction. The coach just sent an email telling everyone to show up at 7:30 so we can uncover the pool and set up long course. If 10 people show up that early, then we will have long course practice on Sunday this week.
Thanks, Heidi! Very tempting... We are getting back to town on Saturday night, so not sure how tired I will be, but it would be nice to start LCM. Also, I've been swimming with Hilton Head masters all week in an outdoor pool, which has been a treat. It would be nice to be outside.

WPSWIMS
April 9th, 2011, 01:22 PM
When I visit Atlanta, I pay a fee to Swim Atlanta and have no problem with it. The coaches have been very accommodating and I appreciate the individual help they have given me. I was a former GAJA swimmer and enjoy visiting friends at Dynamo, Emory, and Swim Atlanta. I have paid fees and appreciate the chance to work out with different groups when traveling. I am very thankful when I can practice for free, but do not expect a free coached practice.

hnatkin
April 10th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Beautiful LCM workout this morning. Missed you Kristen! Maybe next week?!

gigi
April 10th, 2011, 12:09 PM
I'm not from Atlanta, but I took a week-long class there a few years ago, and had a great couple of swims at GA Tech with the Atlanta Rainbow Trout. There were lots of people there of all different abilities, so it was easy to find a lane that was just rignt. Everybody was super friendly, and I didn't even pay a fee. I totally recommend it.

And, of course, swimming in an Olympic pool was thrilling!

want2beafish
April 10th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Beautiful LCM workout this morning. Missed you Kristen! Maybe next week?!
Hopefully next week! We got in from Hilton Head at about 8 p.m. last night, and had a lot of stuff to take care of last night and this morning. An early day today wouldn't have cut it. I'll bet it was great out there today, though -- what awesome weather!

pmccoy
April 14th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Thanks Heidi and Emory swimmers! Had a great time at both pools and really enjoyed the experience. Elaine, if I go again sometime, I'll try to stay further south and visit your pool also.

hnatkin
April 14th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Paul - it was great meeting you, too! After the hot Pace pool this week, Elaine's pool might just be considered cool!

ElaineK
April 14th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Paul - it was great meeting you, too! After the hot Pace pool this week, Elaine's pool might just be considered cool!

The pool I was going to take him to is not the noodler hot tub in our community; it's a 78-79 degree fast 25 meter pool. :banana:

Peter, come on down and check it out sometime!