April 8th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Is there?

1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) Yes.
4) Yes.

jkormanik
April 8th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I agree with Bob. I train solo in open water when "necessary." In other words, when no one will get up with me in the morning for a dip before work. I typically swim at a local reservoir (Lucky Peak). When I arrive, I let the camp hosts know I'm there and going out. They don't watch me, however, and are not responsible for my well being. I stay relatively close to shore.

This year, I purchased a "swim safety device" from the International Swimming HOF. It will give both me and my family some modicum of comfort should something happen in the water. Here's a link (http://ishof.org/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SSD&Category_Code=SF) to the product.

Swimming solo isn't the best idea in the world, but sometimes it is a "necessary evil."

jkormanik
April 8th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Mike - like you said in your original post - people drown in bathtubs! Whether right or wrong, the depth of the water doesn't matter to me as much as the distance to shore where I can get myself out of the water!

jdbruyn
April 15th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Jip, you guys are correct, it is still the prefrence of the swimmer in how deep in solo training is comfy and not scarry. If the dept scares you because you are allone then you are waisting your training effort.