PDA

View Full Version : swim suit problems

swimmomof4
April 12th, 2011, 01:02 PM
This may seem like a weird question but I am new to the forums. I am 50 years old and I have gotten back into swimming within the last year. I swim at least 4 days a week- sometimes 5-- and have recently increased my yardage to between 3500 and 5000. However, my swim suit is causing terrible irritation, redness, and chafing around the shoulder straps. The suit is sized correctly (as far as I can tell) I don't think it is an allergy to the fabric because the only place I have the redness is the shoulder and front of the chest. Has anyone had this problem? Is there something I can out on my skin to prevent this. Do I need a different type of suit?

hnatkin
April 12th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Try putting vaseline or Glide on the irritated areas around and under the straps

norascats
April 12th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Most of the competitive suits are sized for a 19 YO body. The fitness suits are built for someone who doesn't move in the water.
I have a really hard time finding suits that fit properly. I'm a tall thin 67 year old.

jim thornton
April 12th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Body Glide, PAM vegetable spray, or similar products will help, as will time (your skin will toughen up.)

However, the best cure of all in my opinion is duct tape. If you cover the affected areas with small pieces, it will halt the abrasion completely. Unlike bandaids, duct tape also stays on in the water for long periods of time.

My son learned this when he was a cross country runner in high school. I have subsequently applied it to swimming and it does work really well and costs very little besides, perhaps, a little sense of cosmetic degradation. If you are invited to the Royal Wedding and plan to wear something low cut, you may need to remove the duct tape.

Otherwise, leave it on till it falls off of its own accord.

Then re-apply.

ourswimmer
April 12th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Different styles, or even different manufacturers' suits in the same style, will fit you just a little different. I prefer the thin-strap suits for working out because the wide-strap ones usually chafe my neck.

Body glide works great for preventing chafing around the neck or on the ribs. Be especially vigilant about using something to prevent chafing if you swim in salt water.

Bobinator
April 12th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Different styles, or even different manufacturers' suits in the same style, will fit you just a little different. I prefer the thin-strap suits for working out because the wide-strap ones usually chafe my neck.

Body glide works great for preventing chafing around the neck or on the ribs. Be especially vigilant about using something to prevent chafing if you swim in salt water.

i ditto, thin straps are easier on the neck and shoulders!

orca1946
April 13th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Sounds like it's time to go shopping for newer suits.

kgernert
April 13th, 2011, 11:31 AM
While they seem to last a long time for me, I've found that the Dolfin suits with the wider straps are particularly good at rubbing my neck wrong, especially as the suits stretch out. Putting some Vaseline on the affected areas before getting into the pool takes care of it. However, I also haven't had the problem with the thinner strapped suits. Try out different brands, strap styles, etc. and see what works best for you.

swimmj
April 13th, 2011, 02:20 PM
This may seem like a weird question but I am new to the forums. I am 50 years old and I have gotten back into swimming within the last year. I swim at least 4 days a week- sometimes 5-- and have recently increased my yardage to between 3500 and 5000. However, my swim suit is causing terrible irritation, redness, and chafing around the shoulder straps. The suit is sized correctly (as far as I can tell) I don't think it is an allergy to the fabric because the only place I have the redness is the shoulder and front of the chest. Has anyone had this problem? Is there something I can out on my skin to prevent this. Do I need a different type of suit?

Shop for a new suit and make sure it's not too big, especially if it's a poly suit. Have someone take the shoulder straps straight up and if they reach over your ears when stretched, the suit is too big. Suits that are too big can cause chafe, so make sure yours is sized correctly. I suspect you are in a too big suit and having chafe issues.

--mj

nkfrench
April 13th, 2011, 02:56 PM
If the pool chemicals are out of whack it can cause skin irritation.

Thick straps are better than thin straps for some of us. It depends on your body shape and the slope of your shoulders. Thin straps can dig in, allow too much bouncing, stretch out prematurely, and may not stay in place.

There are also a variety of swim suit back styles. Some may tend to ride up towards your neck than others. Some may tend to slip off your shoulders. Again, depends on your build.

Some of the chlorine-resistant fabrics can be rougher on the skin than the older lycra suits that fall apart in 3 months.

norascats
April 13th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Just a little venting. I have a relatively long body and square shoulders. I prefer thicker straps, which can chafe. I find that a suit needs to be broken in, which happens midway into becoming a blousey misfit. I get about three months to a suit.
Unfortunately, many of the suits in my size come with way too large leg openings.
When I tried to buy a longer body I got the bonus of two little sponges in the front. I am a teacher, I get in and out and want a quick dry suit.
My former boss bought suits for the teachers. The first one was wonderful. I can still wear it for practice even though the lining is dead. The second one was cut too skimpy around the arms and legs and had that guaranteed to fail elastic on the openings. I'm sure they were the same style and manufacturer. the only difference was the year.
Enough of this rant.

swimmj
April 13th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Just a little venting. I have a relatively long body and square shoulders. I prefer thicker straps, which can chafe. I find that a suit needs to be broken in, which happens midway into becoming a blousey misfit. I get about three months to a suit.
Unfortunately, many of the suits in my size come with way too large leg openings.
When I tried to buy a longer body I got the bonus of two little sponges in the front. I am a teacher, I get in and out and want a quick dry suit.
My former boss bought suits for the teachers. The first one was wonderful. I can still wear it for practice even though the lining is dead. The second one was cut too skimpy around the arms and legs and had that guaranteed to fail elastic on the openings. I'm sure they were the same style and manufacturer. the only difference was the year.
Enough of this rant.

I am long in the torso as well and I understand the frustration of finding stuff that fits. Nike seems to be the best brand for me...

--mj

couldbebetterfly
April 13th, 2011, 10:42 PM
I am long in the torso as well and I understand the frustration of finding stuff that fits. Nike seems to be the best brand for me...

--mj

That explains why Nike never fit me properly - I have a short torso. For me its Speedo all the way!

My shoulder to chest length is short too, so I tended towards the thicker straps as I was afraid the thin ones would stretch out quickly. It turned out true for a TYR I had, and that one started chafing as well. Currently though, I'm loving my thin-strap Speedo Endurance.

Redbird Alum
April 14th, 2011, 10:43 AM
... However, the best cure of all in my opinion is duct tape. If you cover the affected areas with small pieces, it will halt the abrasion completely. Unlike bandaids, duct tape also stays on in the water for long periods of time. ... till it falls off of its own accord.

Of course, don't do this without shaving if you happen to have hair in the locations being taped! Otherwise, the removal comes with a kind of "waxing" sound!

ande
April 14th, 2011, 12:04 PM
try different makes & sizes to find what works best for you
all depends on your size, shape and how you swim

before you swim
try applying vaseline to where the straps chafe you

Ande

geochuck
April 15th, 2011, 04:46 PM
You may have a suit that is great for a race, but for training you need the next size up. Vaseline should really not be needed, but if it works use it.

norascats
April 16th, 2011, 04:00 PM
You guys have it so easy. All you have to fit is the bottom, although, I've seem some that had trouble with that too.

That Guy
April 16th, 2011, 08:05 PM
You guys have it so easy. All you have to fit is the bottom, although, I've seem some that had trouble with that too.

I saw a swimmer at my gym recently who challenged that statement. Imagine a large lycra shopping bag. Cut holes in the bottom of the bag for your legs to go through. Now pull it all the way on and tie the drawstring near the base of your sternum. That's what he was wearing for his workout! :afraid: