PDA

View Full Version : Swimming for weight loss

bradley8302
April 13th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Looking to shed some pounds and to do so I've been swimming for about a month or so now. How much is too much? Until a month ago, I'd really never swam for exercise, so I really have no idea as to what kind of schedule I should keep. I also play basketball at least once a week, softball twice a week, and try to do some form of workout for at least 30 min on the days I swim.

I keep reading on here that shoulder injuries are extremely common, which has me nervous especially since I'm coming off surgery in Dec on mine. I'm definitely taking it easy, but just wondered what I should be aiming for to achieve my weight loss/get fit goals. TIA

larsoda
April 13th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I keep reading on here that shoulder injuries are extremely common, which has me nervous especially since I'm coming off surgery in Dec on mine. I'm definitely taking it easy, but just wondered what I should be aiming for to achieve my weight loss/get fit goals. TIA

I'd guess that shoulder injuries are no more common to swimmers than knee or foot injuries are to a runner or basketball player. I would venture to say that it is the most common joint injured among swimmers, though.

Here's an article (http://www.usms.org/fitness/content/startingaroutine) that might help you.

Dan

Charge
April 13th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I have shoulder issues as well, I find that if I avoid using paddles and stretch REALLY well then I don't have issues.

I would continue tyo ramp up my training slowly and let your shoulders build their strength, maybe also do rotator cuff exercises