PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for warm-up clothing?

philoswimmer
April 13th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I'm seeking new warm-ups (track suit, whatever you want to call them) -- something warm and comfortable, yet quick drying -- something good to wear between events at a meet or to throw on after practice. The number of options available online is a bit overwhelming and it's hard to see the differences between them (if any). Suggestions?

qbrain
April 13th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Cheap synthetic fleece. Nothing seems to be quite as good wet. It is warm, it doesn't hold water well, chlorine doesn't affect it, it doesn't stick to wet skin and it is cheap.

Sadly it isn't very stylish.

philoswimmer
April 13th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Cheap synthetic fleece. Nothing seems to be quite as good wet. It is warm, it doesn't hold water well, chlorine doesn't affect it, it doesn't stick to wet skin and it is cheap.

Sadly it isn't very stylish.

Synthetic fleece pants? I don't think I've ever seen fleece pants. (Sorry, I don't get out much). Where would I find such a thing?

swimmj
April 13th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Synthetic fleece pants? I don't think I've ever seen fleece pants. (Sorry, I don't get out much). Where would I find such a thing?

LL Bean, Lands end, Patagonia, etc. You don't want cotton, you need fleece. It is the best when wet.

--mj

ALM
April 13th, 2011, 04:23 PM
The Chammyz line of products is warm and water-absorbent:

http://www.chammyz.com/content/view/73/91/

qbrain
April 13th, 2011, 04:28 PM

Mine are from Old Navy, around $15. Hopefully you can still get them this time of the year.

I will check what the poly to cotton ratio is for the pants I wear to practice in the winter, that is probably more important than any specific brand.

Edit: The fleece pants I like for swimming are 100% poly.

philoswimmer
April 13th, 2011, 05:13 PM

Ooh, those look nice, if a bit pricey. Thanks. Now I'm thinking about a splurge...

ALM
April 13th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Ooh, those look nice, if a bit pricey. Thanks. Now I'm thinking about a splurge...

I have one of the pullovers. A couple of others here in the office have the zippered jackets. We all love them. They're very soft and they really absorb the water.

Jeff Commings
April 14th, 2011, 11:19 AM
If you're looking into stuff to wear between events in Mesa, you'll probably need something warm if you're swimming in the early am, but definitely will be shedding clothes by noon. It's supposed to get close to 90 degrees.

Those who were at nationals in Tempe in 2003 will agree that 90 degrees is a very manageable temperature.

aquajock
April 14th, 2011, 10:45 PM
I personally like the long, lined and hooded swimming jacket that I got from my team. It protects me from sun and wind and keeps me warm. I wear it to and from practices in the winter and between events at meets most of the year.

Bobinator
April 15th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Under Armour makes really warm, water-wicking sweat pants and hoodies (both pullover and full-zip) The pants come in black or gray, the hoodies come in all sorts of fun colors. I'm not sure where you are from. In Indiana the winters are brutal at times and I always wear these sweats to and from practice and stay toasty. They are great for winter meets!

EJB190
April 15th, 2011, 12:56 PM
http://www.boathouse.com/

This is the brand of warm up my team bought in high school. It's expensive but really nice quality and I'm still using it today (4 years later).

philoswimmer
May 21st, 2011, 03:32 PM

I ended up order a pair of pants and a zippered jacket from Chammyz. They seem nice and of a good quality, although I haven't had a chance to use them in "action" yet.

But I am pretty well dissatisfied with my dealings with them. On the positive side, they answered all my emails promptly and politely. On the negative side, the reason I had to keep emailing them was that it took them three weeks to ship my clothes, and then another week for the clothes to get to me. A full month is way too long to wait for this type of item, in my opinion, and there was no indication on the website that it would take that long (and they just kept saying "soon" in the emails).

Then, the pants are huge. I ordered the size that was specified for my weight. (In contrast, I ordered a size smaller for the jacket, because I have that pear shape, and the jacket fits fine). I was told I could exchange them, but then I'd have to pay the shipping out AND back. When I pointed out that this seemed unfair, given that I had waited a full month to get the items in the first place (and I never got an apology for that, by the way), they said they would "split" the return shipping with me, so that the maximum I would pay would be $10! Sorry, I don't see this as any great deal, and frankly, this is all more expense, work, and annoyance than I wanted, simply to get some warm clothes to wear out of the pool. The clothes are fairly pricey to begin with, imo.

I will say that the USMS logo on the jacket is nice. Am I supposed to be non-critical of them because they are a USMS sponsor?

orca1946
May 22nd, 2011, 01:06 AM
Glad you found what you want but, the wait in this day & age is too long!

philoswimmer
June 16th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Here is the (hopefully final) follow-up to my Chammyz experience. After I made the posting above, I received a new email from the Chammyz people, delivered to the email address I use on the discussion boards rather than the one that I used for ordering the pants:

We wanted to follow up in regards to your issues with return ship charges. We do apologize for any issues as we pride ourselves on customer service.
In 16 years of business, we never have a negative comment and we just wanted to follow up and offer to do exchange on pants for free as we, at Chammyz, are only happy when the customer is happy.
If you would like to arrange an exchange, please advise and we will send you the appropriate information.

When they sent this email, I am not sure if they realized that I was the same person they had said they would not do a free exchange for and who was clearly not happy, but in any case, I took them up on their offer, mailed them the too-large pants, and received the smaller sized pants today. They fit! And they are nice pants. The Chammyz stuff was all the rage at the recent Pac Masters Excel weekend (http://pacmastersswimmingexcelweekend.com/) -- many people were wearing Chammyz, and many were ordering them. I just wish that I would have been able to get them with less hassle.