PDA

View Full Version : wants to swim 1/2 miles in ocean without stopping by Sept.

imchemicalgrl
April 13th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Hello,

I would like to be able to swim 1/2 miles in the ocean by September. I currently can swim one length of a 25 yd. pool without stopping but have to recover before I can swim the next length.

What should I be doing to prepare for this 1/2 mile swim?

What techniques can I use to increase the length of swimming from 1 pool length to 2 pool length etc.?

I can really only swim doing the back stroke and need to do the crawl for the 1/2 mile swim.

I am really lost. I am over weight but exercise 5x a week.

Please help!

mjtyson
April 14th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Here's how I started:
1) I decided to swim 1000 meters, but could only swim one length at a time;
2) So, I decided to set a rest interval after each length that I could live with, I started with :15.
3) Then, after I did that for a while, weeks really, and it started feeling easy, then I cut the rest interval on the "far" end by :05. I swam that way (:10 rest on far end and :15 on original end) for a couple weeks.
4) A couple weeks later, I cut the far end rest to :05, swam for a couple weeks, then took the jump to...
5) Cutting out the rest at the far end entirely. Now I was swimming 1000 broken into 20 x 50.
6) Then I started the "cut the rest by :05" thing again. After a number of weeks, after feeling really good with the :10 rest, one day I just decided to try and swim the entire 1000 w/o rest. And I did!

It takes a while, but it works.

swimflyfast
April 19th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Using Mike's advise try to build your speed up from the middle out at first.

If you are going to swim twenty 50's then focus on the middle two and pick up your speed. Every other practice or so add an additional 50 with speed to the middle. Make note of your 50 swim times so you know you are swimming faster on these 50's in the middle. As you reduce the interval as Mike said from the end this will give you another mental wall to break through. Make note of your times after each swim and enjoy the fact that you are making it through these walls you never made through before! Enjoy the feeling of accomplishment! Once you get to six 50's in the middle at a quicker pace add faster 50's at the ends with the first and last 50. This is important because in your race you will naturally get excited at the start and end and swim faster. It is important to know how fast you are going at the start so you don't go too fast and feel comfortable and confident!

mike2swim
April 23rd, 2011, 04:54 PM
This is some good advice. I'd add you might want to work with a coach or someone who knows about proper technique too. When you become more efficient in water you'll be using less energy and can go farther. Good luck - you can do it! Mike