PDA

View Full Version : Buoy Turn

knelson
April 14th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I'm just now getting around to reading the article by Eney Jones about 90-degree buoy turns in the latest issue of Swimmer. I'll admit that I never thought of turning like this before even though I've done numerous OW races with buoy turns. Do lots of people use this technique? Will lots more try it after seeing the article? :)

jbs
April 14th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I've never used or even thought about turning like that either. I'll certainly try it this season once the ice melts, so I'd also love to hear from anyone who uses it.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that you can see this turn in action at 6:30 or so of the Swimmer Wetsuit review video.
YouTube - Wetsuit Review - SWIMMER Magazine

matysekj
April 14th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Hey, that's me doing the buoy turn in the video and demonstrating the "turn a little early and swim into the buoy" aspect of this turn.

I had heard of and seen this type of buoy turn before, but never bothered to try it. It IS faster, so I think I'll use it in any races in the future. However, as I demonstrated well, you need to try it out to get the distance from the buoy correct.

ourswimmer
April 14th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I started using this type of turn about ten years ago. I nearly always use it in races. I think the only circumstance that I don't use it is when I am side-by-side with someone else and the turn would risk tangling arms or delivering (or receiving) a blow to the face.

mjtyson
April 14th, 2011, 01:40 PM
I really like the Fran Crippen method...arm nearest the buoy stops and the far arm continues to stroke until you're around the buoy.
[beware self-promotion to follow!]
http://mtheads.typepad.com/10kmarathonswim/2011/04/ow-buoy-turns.html

orca1946
April 23rd, 2011, 01:06 PM
Most of the time , there are so many others around me that just keeping my goggles on is a good turn!

srcoyote
April 25th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Yeah, I almost always hit the buoy in at least a crowd of four with everyone trying different techiques. It's a slow turn, but it represents less than one half of one percent of my total race time. Also never finished less than 5 seconds behind anyone in my categories so whatever time I've lost in a slow turn means nothing.