PDA

View Full Version : Jendrick Eligibility I'm confused...help please

redbull622
April 14th, 2011, 07:47 PM
So I see back in Feb Megan broke 3 Masters world records and recently I was just reading Dara Torres Book 'Age is just a number' and something caught my eye...

pg. 126 "FINA, the international governing body of swimming, requires a swimmer to sit out for a nine month period from events they recognize (this does not include Masters) after declaring an intent to come back and swim.

Ok so does this mean that if Jendrick is now a masters swimmer she would have to join USS swimming and quit masters and wait for 9 months before she could swim in say Olympic Trials?

Same question with Dara Torres - did she have to first quit masters and join USS and wait 9 months prior to doing any international meets?

Or could Jendrick be in Masters and USS at the same time?

Just got me curious. Thanks in advance. :)

knelson
April 15th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I don't think her competition in masters is the issue. It really depends on her situation. Did she formally retire from (non-masters) swimming or not? In other words is she still subjected to random drug tests? If she retired then, yes, she'd need to wait nine months.

ande
April 15th, 2011, 10:55 AM
so does this mean that if Jendrick is now a masters swimmer she would have to join USS swimming and quit masters and wait for 9 months before she could swim in say Olympic Trials?
NO

did she have to first quit masters and join USS and wait 9 months prior to doing any international meets?
NO

Or could Jendrick be in Masters and USS at the same time?
YES

She needs to announce to USS & FINA that she's come out of retirement. That's what starts the clock. The 9 month rule has to do with drug testing.

When elite athletes retire, they're dropped from drug testing lists, they no longer get tested.

When former elite athletes come out of retirement, they are put back on the drug testing list. They need to get through the 9 month waiting period before competing. They can still swim Masters, as far as I know, Masters doesn't have drug testing. I think the 9 month rule is a way to to prevent athletes who "retire" but use illegal ability enhancing drugs during their "retirement" from having an advantage when they reemerge.

Plus masters has provided several athletes who made a comeback, with a way to start out competing again on a low key level. They'll swim in a masters meet and see what happens. It worked well for Dara in 2007, she went 21.9 & 48.1 then announce she was going to train and compete in the 2008 trials.

Most athletes making a comeback, start out in a quiet humble fashion. They just want to train and find out where they are.

Very few make brash statements about what they expect to do at Trials.

The US 2012 trials are likely to have a few surprises next year.

When some athletes are burned out when they retire, swimming isn't fun, it feels like a job they're tired of. I've spoken to some who thought their breaks did them worlds of good. Now they feel a renewed sense of passion and excitement for swimming. I look forward to seeing how they do.

Jeff Commings
April 15th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Megan has not retired! She swam at last summer's USA Swimming nationals, and I would imagine is training for the 2012 Trials. She's just stepping up at local Masters meets to get some racing in.

Don't forget that Cullen Jones, Mark Gangloff, Fred Bousquet and others have competed in Masters meets while still being an elite swimmer.

Ed Moses is going through the Masters circuit while he goes through his nine-month waiting period. He'll be at Masters nationals in Mesa.

Glenn
April 15th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Yes, Ed has been swimming local masters meets. Saw him at the UCLA meet a few weeks ago. He is sooooo smooth in the water. He represents Rose Bowl Masters and will be swimming at Nats.

orca1946
April 15th, 2011, 06:15 PM
It would be cool to see them swim again!:applaud:

jaadams1
April 15th, 2011, 09:06 PM
It would be cool to see them swim again!:applaud:

I got to swim in Megan Jendrick's first masters meet in Olympia, WA in Feb. 2010. I just happened to enter the 100 and 200 Breast for a "change of scenery"...and then find out who I'm swimming next to! :bolt:
From my vantage point she was VERY fast. In the 200 for example, I was coming into the turn almost at the 175 point, and I could hear the entire crowd erupt in cheer. My first thought...oh great, she's already finished!!! :bow:

Gydra
May 8th, 2011, 09:31 PM
She was at a USS meet my son was in last month. People seemed surprised she to see her racing (I didn't get to watch). When my son was getting an autograph another parent (us old folks who stand in the back) asked if she was coming out of retirement again and she laughed and said, "I haven't retired!"

orca1946
May 8th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Good for her !:applaud:

orca1946
May 9th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Day 2
Patacchi out sprints Cavendish for the stage win !