PDA

View Full Version : The "inside scoop" for Nationals at Kino!

Paul Smith
April 15th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I wanted to pass along a few pointers for those of you attending the meet, feel free to ask any other questions you might have!

- First and foremost one of the hardest things for some people to adjust to is the height of the starting blocks off the pool deck. Because we have zero depth pool entry the blocks are about 10" higher than a standard pool....and some folks can get a little wobbly up there. Note...the distance to the water is the same!

- The flip side of zero depth is that its MUCH easier to climb out of!

- Our blocks are longer than most pools so you have plenty of room for track starts (especially for people with big feet) and they are outstanding for doing step up relay starts.

- Outside lanes are VERY fast...so don't be concerned if thats where you are in your heat.

aquageek
April 15th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Pablo - how is the parking situation? Ample? What is your advice?

Paul Smith
April 15th, 2011, 11:56 AM
The main parking area will be the athletic fields to the west of the pool...you will enter through the parking lot of the church to the north of the facility (which they are offering the use of their lot as well...except on Sunday). We have hosted th high school state meet the last two years with over 3000 people so this should be far less.

In addition to the athletic fields and church there is some parking in the school lot (a couple hundred spaces) and on street (except during school hours).

Rich Abrahams
April 15th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Paul,
Will the water temp. in the warm-up pool be the same as the competition pool or warmer?
Rich

aquageek
April 15th, 2011, 01:09 PM
The main parking area will be the athletic fields to the west of the pool...you will enter through the parking lot of the church to the north of the facility (which they are offering the use of their lot as well...except on Sunday). We have hosted th high school state meet the last two years with over 3000 people so this should be far less.

In addition to the athletic fields and church there is some parking in the school lot (a couple hundred spaces) and on street (except during school hours).

Thanks, Paul.

Paul also emailed me this picture and asked me to post it since apparently his Apple II is incapable of connecting to the ether.

pwb
April 15th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Paul -- it it 'first come / first serve' for setting up tents in the team area? If so, when can we set up tents on Wednesday?

orca1946
April 15th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Paul, thanks for the ongoing info. It helps my fear of things unknown ! :applaud:

Paul Smith
April 15th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Paul -- it it 'first come / first serve' for setting up tents in the team area? If so, when can we set up tents on Wednesday?

Patrick, that is correct. And we just finalized an additional team area on the tennis courts...we had a number of people say they would like to set up tents but not in grass.

Also...the Google map that geek posted for me (Windows XP by the way big guy!) was missing a bit of info. There are two primary entrances..the front of the complex that is marked on that map which will primarily serve people who are coming in on the hotel shuttle bus.

The other "main" entrance for those driving will be coming in through a gate that opens out onto the athletic fields...there will also be access to the gym (where registration, awards, locker rooms, etc. are located) by walking across the tennis courts.

Paul Smith
April 15th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Thanks, Paul.

Paul also emailed me this picture and asked me to post it since apparently his Apple II is incapable of connecting to the ether.

I'm going to give it another try...hopefully this will be a shot of the blocks and zero depth entry!

orca1946
April 15th, 2011, 06:12 PM
What ??!! We are going to be shot on the blocks? Or is that we are going to be shot out of the blocks ! :D:bolt:

knelson
April 16th, 2011, 12:57 AM
What ??!! We are going to be shot on the blocks? Or is that we are going to be shot out of the blocks ! :D:bolt:

Hopefully the second one. Paul probably didn't tell you Oz, but the pool will be setup the way it is in that photo. You're going to have to clear that lane rope on your start. :)

orca1946
April 17th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I don't think this HIPPO body can get that high & far out on the start!

debaru
April 17th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I remember thinking the blocks seemed awful high when I swam at the AZ SW Zones meet a couple of weeks ago at Kino. But, as Paul said, the distance from the block to the water is the same. And, boy, did I appreciate the zero depth feature.

Here's a photo I took from across the pool, which gives a good perspective on the block height, as well as the lane line configuration that I believe will be in use for Nats.

http://forums.usms.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2741&stc=1&d=1303076764

Paul Smith
April 17th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Although some discussion about where to eat has already taken place, I'll list my favorites in the area (in no particular order):

- Blue Adobe (higher end New Mexico cuisine): http://originalblueadobe.com/BlueAdobe/Home.html

- Anything at Mekong Plaza (Thai, Dim Sum, one of my all time favorite Vietnamese restaurants as well...of, and home to a killer $30 1 hour Thai massage!): http://www.mekongplaza.com/

- The Monastery (huge outside area with volleyball courts, horse shoes, grill your own food and dog friendly!): http://realfunbar.com/

- Mango's (great Mexican, but warning to my UCSB buds, no alcohol!): http://www.mangosmexicancafe.com/

- Grandma's Kitchen: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g31281-d545498-Reviews-Grandma_s_Kitchen-Mesa_Arizona.html

- Rancho Tia Rosa: http://www.ranchodetiarosa.com/

- Chuy's (yeah, its a chain..but close to the pool and always good...

- Cindy's Cafe: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g31281-d485454-Reviews-Cindy_s_Arizona_Cafe-Mesa_Arizona.html

- For our fast food crowd staying at the hotel block on the south side In N Out!

- Toby Keiths (always crowded on the weekend, but I'm guessing worth the wait just for a chance to catch geek riding the mechanical bull and eating the grilled Bologna sandwich! http://tobysmesa.com/

- Bill Johnsons Big Apple (have to admit I've never been but hear great things!): http://billjohnsons.com/

jaadams1
April 17th, 2011, 06:37 PM
- For our fast food crowd - In N Out!

I hope that's not the only fast food place in the Phoenix area...a man's got to eat something!!!!
I'm Motel 6'n it too :) Why spend money on a motel that you're never in???

orca1946
April 18th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Here in Chicagoland, we do not have In& out burgers. I have had them out west& they are good.

BillS
April 18th, 2011, 01:34 PM
It looks like the gold medal sponsor area is away from the pool a bit...will there be a repeater speaker of the announcer so we can keep track of where we are in the meet?

pwb
April 18th, 2011, 03:33 PM
I hope that's not the only fast food place in the Phoenix area...a man's got to eat something!!!! We've got all the crap, I mean fast food you could ask for. For your $ and taste though, it's hard to beat a double-double (http://bestuff.com/stuff/in-n-out-double-double). On top of that, since it will sit in your stomach like a rock, your age group competitors will really appreciate it if you down one right before your 200 fly.

orca1946
April 18th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I'm such a nice guy, I plan on buying them for all those in my age group.
You must eat it within 10 min. of the start of the race! :D

Paul Smith
April 18th, 2011, 04:30 PM
It looks like the gold medal sponsor area is away from the pool a bit...will there be a repeater speaker of the announcer so we can keep track of where we are in the meet?

Gold Medal/Hospitality is directly in front of the south warm-up pool and about 70 yds from the primary team area. It is set-up with inside and outside seating and there will be no problem hearing the announcer.

Registration, awards and sponsors/vendors are in the gym which is just off the pool deck and we are looking at a PA system feed into that area.

Paul Smith
April 18th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Here in Chicagoland, we do not have In& out burgers. I have had them out west& they are good.

Chick-Fil-A is another great heart attack in waiting that a lot of folks from out of the area seem to seek out! http://www.chick-fil-a.com/Home

jaadams1
April 18th, 2011, 07:53 PM
We've got all the crap, I mean fast food you could ask for. For your $ and taste though, it's hard to beat a double-double (http://bestuff.com/stuff/in-n-out-double-double). On top of that, since it will sit in your stomach like a rock, your age group competitors will really appreciate it if you down one right before your 200 fly.

:hijack:
I remember one day in college around the 1997 season, when McDonalds had the 19 cent hamburgers/29 cent cheeseburgers on sale for a limited time. We took the whole men's team on a field trip (school wasn't in session this day), and were required to buy minimum 10 cheeseburgers and a large Coke, then try to finish it. This was at about 1:00pm or so. Practice started at 3:00pm. Most at all 10 burgers...me included. The coach just shook her head as we all came to practice and put down our 44oz. "water bottles" from McDonalds. That practice was fun, let me tell you. :eeew:

BillS
April 18th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Gold Medal/Hospitality is directly in front of the south warm-up pool and about 70 yds from the primary team area. It is set-up with inside and outside seating and there will be no problem hearing the announcer.

Registration, awards and sponsors/vendors are in the gym which is just off the pool deck and we are looking at a PA system feed into that area.

Excellent, thanks.

orca1946
April 19th, 2011, 11:27 AM
We had a kid on our H S team that ate polish sausage on the way to the meet - every time ?? !!

swimmj
April 19th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Paul, will overnight RV parking be allowed at Kino?

Thanks!

--mj

Paul Smith
April 19th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Paul, will overnight RV parking be allowed at Kino?

Thanks!

--mj

No. You need to check with the Convention & Visitors folks for a list of locations...you can access them through the link on the homepage of our website.

swimmj
April 20th, 2011, 11:26 AM
No. You need to check with the Convention & Visitors folks for a list of locations...you can access them through the link on the homepage of our website.

Thanks for the quick response.

MJ

Paul Smith
April 21st, 2011, 05:46 PM
Whoops...ahhh, lets hold off on making plans to hit Chuys!!

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/04/20/20110420chuys-ice-irs-investigation-brk.html

orca1946
April 21st, 2011, 06:13 PM
Now - children, no hitting!!:D

kristilynn
April 22nd, 2011, 10:32 AM

Paul,

This conflicts with the response that I got via email from Erin Shields. She said that there were no hook ups and that there is no guarantee of space being available, but she didn't say that it wasn't allowed. She also said that RV parking was something that hadn't been discussed before I emailed my inquiry. So has it now been discussed and banned?

Paul Smith
April 22nd, 2011, 01:49 PM
Paul,

This conflicts with the response that I got via email from Erin Shields. She said that there were no hook ups and that there is no guarantee of space being available, but she didn't say that it wasn't allowed. She also said that RV parking was something that hadn't been discussed before I emailed my inquiry. So has it now been discussed and banned?

Kristi, the school (which is where the pool is located along with its athletic fields which are the primary parking area) will not allow any on-site parking of RV's...sorry!

pwb
April 22nd, 2011, 04:45 PM
Paul, when on Wednesday can we start setting up tents in the team area?

Paul Smith
April 22nd, 2011, 05:31 PM
Food service at the meet in the mornings will be limited! The "MAC Shop" will have coffee, bagels, fruit, energy bars, water Gatorade, sunscreen etc. throughout the day (along with limited supplies of event tee shirt and water bottles).

Brunch/Lunch service will be provided by an BBQ joint, Jamba Juice and a sub shop.

Gold Medal will be run similar to what it was in Puerto Rico...you get a meal ticket punched (no sharing passes!) for breakfast and lunch each day but have access to snacks, water, etc. till the meet ends. Here's the menu:

Day 1 - Breakfast

Breakfast Burrito with meat
Hashbrowns
Oatmeal + brown sugar, raisins, walnuts
Fresh Fruit, cut, melons
Fresh fruit bowl-apples, oranges, bananas, grapes
Breakfast breads
Fruit/yogurt parfaits, 6 oz
Dried cereal, boxes
Hardboiled eggs
Bagels
w/ peanut butter, jelly & cream cheese

Day 2 - Breakfast

Egg Casserole with meat & hashbrowns
Egg Casserole no meat or hashbrowns
Fresh Fruit, fruit salad
Breakfast breads
Dried cereal, boxes
Hardboiled eggs
Bagels

Day 3 - Breakfast

Carrot Cake Pancakes with honey butter
Sausage, 2 ea
Scrambled Eggs
Fresh Fruit, melon wedges
Juice Bar
Breakfast breads
Dried cereal, boxes
Hardboiled eggs
Bagels

Day 4 - Breakfast

Blueberry French Toast with blueberry syrup
Scrambled Eggs
Breakfast Meat
Fresh Fruit, fruit salad
Breakfast breads
Juice bar
Dried cereal, boxes
Hardboiled eggs
Bagels

MPohlmann
April 22nd, 2011, 05:51 PM
Thanks, Paul,

Do you have the Gold Medal lunch menu?

Paul Smith
April 22nd, 2011, 05:55 PM
Thanks, Paul,

Do you have the Gold Medal lunch menu?

Whoops....sorry about that thought the whole file copied over!

Day 1 - Lunch

Chicken Soft Tacos
Beef Tacos
Taco Salad
Bean Taco Salad
Black Beans & Rice
Dessert

Day 2 - Lunch

Turkey & Ham Wraps
Turkey Wrap
Ham Wrap
Pasta Salad, side salad
Dessert

Day 3 - Lunch

Beef Enchiladas
Chicken Enchiladas
Cheese Enchiladas
Tossed side salad
Refried Beans & Rice
Veggies tray + spinach dip (serves 16-20)
Dessert

Day 4 - Lunch

Sub Sandwiches
Chicken Caesar Salad entrée - chix on side
Caesar Salad side salad
Veggie/Cheese (cubed) tray w/ Ranch (serves 16-20)
Dessert

MPohlmann
April 22nd, 2011, 06:12 PM
Looks yummy. Glad I signed up for the Gold Medal hospitality.

orca1946
April 23rd, 2011, 12:56 PM
That list looks like an EATING MARATHON~:cake::banana::chug:

swim53
April 25th, 2011, 01:21 PM
will there be a confirmation of massage time pre-booked or do we just look at the list at the meet?

jim clemmons
April 25th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Whoops....sorry about that thought the whole file copied over!

Yeah, no kidding.

Where's dinner? It's still missing!

:chug:

Brian Stack
April 25th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Yeah, no kidding.

Where's dinner? It's still missing!

:chug:
I hear you're having Ice Cream!:bliss:

jim clemmons
April 25th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I hear you're having Ice Cream!:bliss:

I heard it's gonna be "on others"!

:ohyeah:

orca1946
April 25th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Ice cream will melt quickly in that heat!