PDA

View Full Version : Need Sports Drink/Gel for Racing (for sensitive stomach)

aquajock
April 19th, 2011, 10:46 AM
I'm looking for something to consume before a race for extra energy. I drink XOOD during practice and before races now because its light, not too sweet and doesn't upset my stomach. Still, I'd like something with a little more caffeine to get me a little wired before a sprint.

Anyone have any suggestions? I would most like to hear from people with sensitive stomachs like myself. I have a lot of stomach acidity, so citrus is pretty much out. Cliff shots and blocks make me violently ill. So does Redbull. FRS upsets my stomach a little. Those are about the only other drinks I have tried other than Gatorade, which is fine, but doesn't hype me up any more than the XOOD.

Thrashing Slug
April 19th, 2011, 05:18 PM
How about a double espresso with cinnamon and a touch of honey?

quicksilver
April 19th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Chocolate Silk (soy milk). It's smooth, and not too sugary like regular chocolate milk.

I like the espresso suggestion too! But how does one ever get that to a meet?

smontanaro
April 19th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Chocolate Silk (soy milk). It's smooth, and not too sugary like regular chocolate milk.

Coincidentally enough, I tried some on my cereal this morning. (We were out of regular milk and my wife swears by it.) I could barely gag it down and wound up throwing out the tail end of my cereal. If would definitely take some getting used to...

Skip

quicksilver
April 19th, 2011, 06:47 PM
When regular soy milk sits too long it turns into a kind of mortar mix. All pasty and gooey :) That said, it shouldn't technically be called milk, but that's how they market these products. Chocolate soy "milk" on the other hand is simply a great liquid desert.

BTW Skip...Almond milk beats soy milk any day. It's full of omega supplements and it won't raise your estrogen levels!

ElaineK
April 19th, 2011, 06:58 PM

I like the espresso suggestion too! But how does one ever get that to a meet?

I like 8th Continent Lite Chocolate Soy milk. (If it's available where you shop, compare the nutrition label to Silk and see what you think...) I fill my water bottle with it first thing in the morning, then put it in the freezer until I'm ready to go. I keep it chilled at the pool then drink it after my swim. It gets nice and icy from the freezer and tastes great; perfect for a chocoholic like me! :bliss:

orca1946
April 19th, 2011, 07:47 PM
I love choc. ANYTHING, so I will try the soy choc.

jaadams1
April 19th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Mountain Dew!! :ohyeah:

aquajock
April 19th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Interesting suggestions... I don't think I could drink soy milk before a race. Afterwards, maybe. Right now I drink it a lot with meals. Perhaps I'll try a diluted version in the morning.

On the other hand Mountain Dew??? Oh that would be great for my sensitive stomach. I'd be wired and holding my gut...

I might also try my XOOD with a stick of energy gum. Maybe that will hype me up!

Thrashing Slug
April 20th, 2011, 12:53 PM
My stomach isn't particularly sensitive, but I can't imagine drinking anything with milk or soymilk before a race or during a meet. Yuck. Just doesn't seem right :p

I like espresso because it's low volume, and low acidity if you get it from a good barista. I find that it digests much faster than say, a cup of coffee. Also it tastes great and is one of my favorite caffeinated drinks.

Another hot beverage that can be put in a thermos and drank over the course of a meet is yerba mate with honey and ginger. Mate contains compounds that are similar to caffeine, but it's not as strong as coffee. It's also high in B vitamins. It provides more of a slow, sustained energy instead of twitchy cracked-out coffee energy. Mate is more of a 1650 or open water drink, whereas espresso goes better with sprinting. I like to add ginger to mate for the taste, but it could also help soothe a sensitive stomach.

quicksilver
April 20th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I keep it chilled at the pool then drink it after my swim. It gets nice and icy from the freezer and tastes great; perfect for a chocoholic like me! :bliss:

They did a study on Chocolate milk and what a great recovery drink it is. The sugar refuels depleted glycogen stores in both the muscles and the liver.

I tried it a few times and the lingering feeling of being worn out after a hard practice was completely gone. ...which is why I started bringing it to the meets. Sports drinks can make the bladder quite active, especially with all the caffeine, and who needs to visit the bathroom 3 or 4 times during a meet. What a hassle that was during the tech suit era.

I don't even want to know how many people made the warm down pool even warmer.

ElaineK
April 20th, 2011, 09:33 PM
They did a study on Chocolate milk and what a great recovery drink it is. The sugar refuels depleted glycogen stores in both the muscles and the liver.

I tried it a few times and the lingering feeling of being worn out after a hard practice was completely gone. ...which is why I started bringing it to the meets. Sports drinks can make the bladder quite active, especially with all the caffeine, and who needs to visit the bathroom 3 or 4 times during a meet. What a hassle that was during the tech suit era.

I don't even want to know how many people made the warm down pool even warmer. :afraid:

I heard about that study and read about it in Costco Magazine (of all places). And, I have heard that chocolate soy milk is even better. One thing for sure about "lite" chocolate soy milk; it has less fat, less sugar, and more protein than the chocolate milk I have seen in the stores. I was shocked to see just how much sugar and sodium is in many of the chocolate milks out there; much more so than in Silk or 8th Continent.

moodyrichardson
April 21st, 2011, 10:51 AM
"Sports drinks can make the bladder quite active, especially with all the caffeine, and who needs to visit the bathroom 3 or 4 times during a meet."

I did a recent paper on sports drinks. Some of them also have added hefty amounts of sodium too. It's not only to help with electrolytes, but to also make the drinker crave more sports drink. Hence, all the trips to the bathroom. Check your labels!