PDA

View Full Version : Best time for OW swim in the panhandle?

Atlantic
April 19th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Hello,

Going on vacation near the FLA panhandle and was wondering when the best time for an open water swim is (during the day)? Not very familiar with the currents/tides and was interested when the calmest time would be for a nice practice.

Thanks!

swimthegoodfight
April 20th, 2011, 06:54 AM
you need to be much more specific - the water is beautiful but waves and chop at the beachfront is more dependent on weather conditions than simply time of day

the board is a great resource but you might google local tri- training & clubs

if you're in the panhandle Sunday, May 22, this swim is pretty impressive - pensacola to gulf breeze

http://www.3milebridgeswim.org/

best of luck!

srcoyote
April 20th, 2011, 11:37 AM
I lived in the Fla panhandle for many years. In general the waves aren't too high on the gulf side, but if you're looking for a calmer swim in a chop, look on the "sound" side of the barrier islands that run along the coast.

The beaches are usually barrier islands (thin strips of beach) with the gulf on one side and a sound or bay on the other side. Any time of day is good for a sound side swim. Often the water is shallow enough, you may have to wade out 30-50 yards to get deep enough to swim, and you'll want to be careful of boats. There should be some stretches of beach that aren't too populuous depending where in the panhandle you are.

Enjoy.

Atlantic
April 20th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I lived in the Fla panhandle for many years. In general the waves aren't too high on the gulf side, but if you're looking for a calmer swim in a chop, look on the "sound" side of the barrier islands that run along the coast.

The beaches are usually barrier islands (thin strips of beach) with the gulf on one side and a sound or bay on the other side. Any time of day is good for a sound side swim. Often the water is shallow enough, you may have to wade out 30-50 yards to get deep enough to swim, and you'll want to be careful of boats. There should be some stretches of beach that aren't too populuous depending where in the panhandle you are.

Enjoy.

I may just try the sound side if the gulf is too choppy. Thank you so much!!! However, I do hope to get at least one good swim in that beautiful gulf h2o! Going all of next week - hoping for nice weather!

srcoyote
April 21st, 2011, 09:42 AM
This is the best time to swim down there. The water hasn't heated up to bath tub like temperatrues.

On the gulf side, the tide isn't usually a huge factor. If the surf is high (4 - 6 feet waves is high for gulf), currents can be strong, but usually pull down the shore as opposed to out to sea. No time of day is better or worse.