PDA

View Full Version : MJ update and messages.

Allen Stark
April 30th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I wrote in the 2011 SCY Nats thread about how MJ Caswell had gotten hurt the first morning of Nats.I thought she deserved her own thread.She does check the forum so I suggest anyone who wants can leave her a message.I saw her today.She had her surgery this morning and it seems to have been successful.She is in amazingly good spirits and hopes to get back in the pool as soon as her incision heals in about 2 weeks.

TRYM_Swimmer
April 30th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Get well soon, MJ and get back in the pool! We're all thinking about you.

That Guy
May 1st, 2011, 12:04 AM
MJ, get well soon! I hope to see you at the Hood River meet, whether you're able to be in the water or not. :cheerleader:

Chris Stevenson
May 1st, 2011, 12:05 AM
It isn't the same without you! Get better soon.

ElaineK
May 1st, 2011, 12:30 AM
MJ, I don't know you, but I feel bad for what happened to you at the meet. Here's a :bighug: and hoping you have a successful and speedy recovery!

Good luck!
:cheerleader:

swimshark
May 1st, 2011, 06:11 AM
MJ, I'm glad surgery went well. Heal that hip and you'll be back in the water soon.

pwolf66
May 1st, 2011, 08:18 AM
MJ, so sorry you got hurt. :cry:

Rest, recover and come back stronger.

:thewave:

Speedo
May 1st, 2011, 09:17 AM
Glad to hear the surgery went well. Recover well and enjoy your... extended taper!

Peter Cruise
May 1st, 2011, 02:32 PM
You'll come back, better than ever!

The Fortress
May 1st, 2011, 08:39 PM
You'll come back, better than ever!

Yes, you'd better! I'm crashing your brand new age group now too. :) Hope to see you soon. Auburn maybe?

knelson
May 2nd, 2011, 11:53 AM
Get well soon, MJ! Let's think of the positive here. You're perfectly positioned for an interview at next year's Nationals! "MJ Caswell broke her hip on deck last year in Mesa, but this year she's back and set SIX new National records." :banana::cheerleader:

AnnG
May 5th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Get well soon, MJ! Let's think of the positive here. You're perfectly positioned for an interview at next year's Nationals! "MJ Caswell broke her hip on deck last year in Mesa, but this year she's back and set SIX new National records." :banana::cheerleader:

I think this is the best plan yet! Hope you heal quickly we will miss you at practice!

swimmj
May 5th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Awwwwwwww! Thanks so much for all your kind thoughts and words. I am an unbelievable klutz and this is my most spectacular mishap yet. The surgery did go really well, and the dr expects a full recovery. I got out of the hospital Tuesday and am been driven home in my Dad's cushy RV. We stopped last night at Santa Nella, in the central valley of California. I hope to be home by Friday. It will be another week beyond that to get back into the pool. Fort, I would love to race you again, although 100's or longer are my best shot at beating you..I won't be in Aubern this year, but am planning on Omaha next year. Thanks again for everyone's support - I always knew masters swimmers were some of nicest people on the planet and this incident has reenforced my beliefs.

Hugs to all,

MJ

swimmj
May 5th, 2011, 09:49 AM

Heheheh pretty funny. I'm all for the new national records, but miss my teammates way more than anything.

MJ

bzaks1424
May 5th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Tough break MJ! (no pun intended!) - Make sure to follow your PT program to a "T", $50 says you'll be destroying the pool come Auburn!

swimmj
May 5th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Tough break MJ! (no pun intended!) - Make sure to follow your PT program to a "T", $50 says you'll be destroying the pool come Auburn!

I was given exercises to do at the hospital and I have doing them faithfully. Some I flat out could not do day 1 (abduction and heel slide) and now I can do them, which is very encouraging. My PT is a fellow masters swimmer (ironman tri gal) and the leader of a "strong chicks" strength building class I faithfully attend. She is awesome and a big part of why I am recovering well. Most getting up and down is a 1 leg lunge, and thanks to her I have done 1000's of them. It's great advice to follow your PT and I absolutely will.

MJ

aztimm
May 5th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Sorry to hear about your mishap. I've had a couple close calls near the Kino lifeguard stands too, and these were before early morning workouts, no talking/chatting. The wheels kind of surprise you.

Glad to hear you're on the mend. I was out of town and had planned to find out where you were at when I returned, but noticed you were already on your way back home. Best of luck and I hope for a speedy full recovery!

swimmj
May 5th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Sorry to hear about your mishap. I've had a couple close calls near the Kino lifeguard stands too, and these were before early morning workouts, no talking/chatting. The wheels kind of surprise you.

Glad to hear you're on the mend. I was out of town and had planned to find out where you were at when I returned, but noticed you were already on your way back home. Best of luck and I hope for a speedy full recovery!

Thanks so much - I actually did not see it, my head was turned towards the pools where my friends were walking next to me. And I am short enough to walk under the darn things except for the nasty horizontal rails 9 inches off the ground. I ended up with my foot hooked under the rail and pitched forward hard. My friend caught my upper body (thank goodness, otherwise I would have smashed my head into the ground as well) and I dislocated my hip and then relocated on impact, breaking the hip socket. The surgeon expects a full recovery and I should be back in the pool in a week or so. I continue to be amazed at the support from the masters swimming community. Certainly some of the nicest people on the planet.

Thanks again,

MJ

orca1946
May 6th, 2011, 10:28 PM
So sorry to hear of this! My twice replaced hip ache for you!:cane::badday:

swimmj
May 7th, 2011, 09:30 AM
So sorry to hear of this! My twice replaced hip ache for you!:cane::badday:

Twice replaced hip? Ouch! So sorry to hear that! Thanks for your thoughts. Less pain daily and my swimmer upper body makes crutches easy, so I have much to be thankful for.

MJ

no200fly
May 7th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Twice replaced hip? Ouch! So sorry to hear that! Thanks for your thoughts. Less pain daily and my swimmer upper body makes crutches easy, so I have much to be thankful for.

MJ

MJ -

So glad that you are doing so well. I shattered my hip a long time ago and had a plate surgically installed and later removed.

One suggestion I would make is that you do not try to do too much too soon. You have had a big surgery and it will take some time to fully recover. I made the mistake of over doing and ended up delaying my recovery.

Feel better soon.

swimmj
May 8th, 2011, 02:25 PM
MJ -

So glad that you are doing so well. I shattered my hip a long time ago and had a plate surgically installed and later removed.

One suggestion I would make is that you do not try to do too much too soon. You have had a big surgery and it will take some time to fully recover. I made the mistake of over doing and ended up delaying my recovery.

Feel better soon.

Thanks so much for the reminder. My PT and hubby know me well, so I have folks to remind me to rest. I have been told me plate will just stay in - I sure hope it does.

Thanks again,

MJ

no200fly
May 9th, 2011, 12:17 PM
I have been told my plate will just stay in - I sure hope it does.

Thanks again,

MJ

When I had it done (25 years ago) they told me that since I was active, it would be best to take the plate out after a year because there could be a problem with stress fractures developing at the end of the plate (since the bone would bend but the titanium plate would not). If you run, bike, ski, etc. you might want to ask your surgeon about this.

That being said, removing the plate is a cake walk. I was really dreading it, but it turned out to be a non-event.

orca1946
May 9th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Yeah ! They talked about a plate for me,but the bone density is so low that it would not work.

swimmj
May 9th, 2011, 04:02 PM
When I had it done (25 years ago) they told me that since I was active, it would be best to take the plate out after a year because there could be a problem with stress fractures developing at the end of the plate (since the bone would bend but the titanium plate would not). If you run, bike, ski, etc. you might want to ask your surgeon about this.

That being said, removing the plate is a cake walk. I was really dreading it, but it turned out to be a non-event.

My plate is on the outside of the hip, and so is thought to not interfer. I will let you know how it goes.

MJ

That Guy
May 15th, 2011, 09:48 PM
MJ, get well soon! I hope to see you at the Hood River meet, whether you're able to be in the water or not. :cheerleader:

I am happy to report that this occurred. MJ was there today working the clerk of course. The lifeguard stand near the clerk of course was all wrapped up in yellow tape proclaiming CAUTION - OPEN TRENCH. MJ, it was good to see you today! :argue: Wait, that's the wrong smiley... :bitching: ... no, not that one either... :anim_coffee: aahhh close enough.

In other news, Allen Stark and I traded places today. He swam the 100 and 200 SCM fly and rocked 'em both. I swam the 100 and 200 SCM breast, which I hadn't raced in years, so I got some best times too. :chug:

swimmj
May 16th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I am happy to report that this occurred. MJ was there today working the clerk of course. The lifeguard stand near the clerk of course was all wrapped up in yellow tape proclaiming CAUTION - OPEN TRENCH. MJ, it was good to see you today! :argue: Wait, that's the wrong smiley... :bitching: ... no, not that one either... :anim_coffee: aahhh close enough.

In other news, Allen Stark and I traded places today. He swam the 100 and 200 SCM fly and rocked 'em both. I swam the 100 and 200 SCM breast, which I hadn't raced in years, so I got some best times too. :chug:

Fun to see you, That Guy and great to see Allen as well. Nice swimming!

swimmj
May 20th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Back in the pool today. I practiced how to hold my leg in PT on Wednesday, and getting in was a snap. Teammates helped with swim gear and crutches. It felt a bit odd at first, but nothing hurt, just felt "funny".

It was sprint day and I did 2800 meters, swimming with friends I often only see in the locker room. Walls are awkward and will be for 3 weeks, but it felt wonderful to be in the pool.

Very, very happy to be back in the water where I belong.
:bliss:

That Guy
May 20th, 2011, 04:05 PM
:cheerleader: YEAH! WAY TO GO MJ! :cheerleader:

ElaineK
May 22nd, 2011, 07:14 PM
:cheerleader: YEAH! WAY TO GO MJ! :cheerleader:

I'll second that! Congratulations! :applaud:

P.S. Hey, That Guy, great use of font, color, and Smilies! :wine:

gigi
May 22nd, 2011, 07:34 PM
I'm getting on this thread late, and I'm glad to see that you're back in the pool already! It sounds like you have a great PT team, family team, and masters team. Go teams!

Best wishes for a 100% recovery!

swimmj
May 23rd, 2011, 12:48 PM
Thanks so much That Guy, Elaine, and Gigi. I'm doing well, counting the days that shots and crutches are still needed. Swam again today and loved every minute of the workout. 7.5 days of shots and 18 more days with crutches.
:D

bzaks1424
May 23rd, 2011, 12:57 PM
7.5 days of shots

Why quit drinking after 7.5 days? However I commend your ability to do shots on such a regular basis!

swimmj
May 23rd, 2011, 06:31 PM
Why quit drinking after 7.5 days? However I commend your ability to do shots on such a regular basis!

I wish they were shots of adult beverages. Anti-blood clotting shots and I hate needles. Will be so happy when the twice daily shots are all done!