PDA

View Full Version : identifying this pain?

fdelval
May 1st, 2011, 03:03 PM
Hello all!

Im Frank, im 26 and i have recently started swimming. I think i put too much heart in it, and i have ended with an injury in the right shoulder. I tend to breathe by this shoulder in free style.

I have the pain identified in this 2 movements:

1) When i cross my arms in front of me:
(Check this picture out to ilustrate)
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mx4HkvdVXrc/TI1WusUQ5QI/AAAAAAAAAAU/eT0Z9gktLgE/s1600/400_F_6049242_YdVEBBLJutxk9VgAZzLSNyUOlYFqENsc.jpg

The more i try to cross the bad arm, the more it hurts

2)
Extend your arms to the front:
http://www.coinarte.com/images/rehuir-la-bregatable33.jpg

Now, rotate your hands so your thumbs point to the floor.
The more i try to point to the floor, rotating all the arm... it hurts more.

Im taking an antiinflamatory, apllying ice, and using an antiinflamatory ointment over the area.

1 week later, i still feel some pain, and i want advice about it... go to doctor? keep it up?
Pain is really soft except if i force the arm in the 1) and 2) situations, when it really hurts.

Thanks in advance!

swimshark
May 2nd, 2011, 07:37 AM
I would recommend you see a doctor and get some physical therapy. Shoulder issues are common in swimmers. I had bursitis for a year when I finally started physical therapy and now I know what to do at home if the pain comes back.

Rykno
May 2nd, 2011, 08:23 AM
see a Dr or Physical therapist. I thought I have should problems, but it turned out it was my subscapularis. the pain was in my shoulder, but it was caused by a weak muscle under my shoulder blade not doing it's job to help the blade down when i was swimming.

shahboz
May 2nd, 2011, 09:30 AM
I would also have a good coach look at your stroke. Many injuries are caused by poor mechanics in the water.

For example, smacking your hands together when you enter on fly or crossing your center line on entry during free can cause shoulder problems.

fdelval
May 2nd, 2011, 10:34 AM
I would also have a good coach look at your stroke. Many injuries are caused by poor mechanics in the water.

For example, smacking your hands together when you enter on fly or crossing your center line on entry during free can cause shoulder problems.

Yes, i can tell you 100% sure it was a bad technique...

Ok, your comments kinda scared me... may it be serious?

Popeye.Tom
May 2nd, 2011, 02:42 PM

Hi Frank,

I agree entirely with Shaboz and also with Rkno and SwimShark....all good advice.

I have chronic rotator cuff pain, I've had it for years...a chronic issue - computer related! Rotator cuff impingement on the mouse side, third common after carpal tunnel and mouse elbow.

I've got exercises I do, likely similar to 'Shark's, but first get it properly diagnosed. My discomfort on movement is very different from yours, but only the proper PT, sports dr, orthopedist, etc can make the proper diagnosis and therapy.

Do get a coach to look at your stroke and maybe review your workout.

I am constantly aware and working on my entry in both free and back and I work hard to keep from over reaching on entry. In freestyle, if I have a lane to myself I think about swimming right down the line and putting each arm in right over the edge of that side. In backstroke I work hard not to enter with my hand anywhere inside of my shoulder, even if there is some elbow bend.

My coach has admonished me to not have my arms past the plane of my back (scapula) on recovery in free or stroke in back. To accomplish this, I have had to learn more body core rotation - but that's what I want to do to harness that core power.

It can be managed and worked around with PT exercises, good stroke and adjust training routine when it flairs up. I know, I'm 52 and been dealing with it for like a decade now.

Good luck,
PT