PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Spring Nationals

pwolf66
May 3rd, 2011, 08:47 AM
OK, now that Spring Nationals are over for 2011 (sounds like the hosts did a FANTASTIC job!!!!!), it's time to turn our attention (or at least mine) to Greensboro, NC.

Who is going? Who wants to grudge? I will be there ready to rock and roll in the 50,100,200 Free, 50,100 Fly and some random 6th event that I'm not sure of right now.

I'll be aging out of the dreaded 40-44 into the easier and much less competitive 45-49...........oh wait.......craaaaaaaaaaap.

Look forward to seeing all of you there!!!!

jaadams1
May 3rd, 2011, 10:33 AM
OK, now that Spring Nationals are over for 2011 (sounds like the hosts did a FANTASTIC job!!!!!), it's time to turn our attention (or at least mine) to Greensboro, NC.

Who is going? Who wants to grudge? I will be there ready to rock and roll in the 50,100,200 Free, 50,100 Fly and some random 6th event that I'm not sure of right now.

I'll be aging out of the dreaded 40-44 into the easier and much less competitive 45-49...........oh wait.......craaaaaaaaaaap.

I would love to go. It's all going to depend on the $$$$ costs. :bitching:

aquageek
May 3rd, 2011, 10:51 AM
I'll be there, obviously, swimming at 44.75 years, not that it really matters as Paul says.

ElaineK
May 3rd, 2011, 12:30 PM
Who is going?

:ohyeah:

knelson
May 3rd, 2011, 12:35 PM
The Greensboro rep was in Mesa getting the word out. It looks like it's going to be a beautiful pool!

JimRude
May 3rd, 2011, 12:53 PM
FWIW, 99% certain I will not be going. After the fiascoes of Indy and Atlanta, I have convinced (read: psyched out) myself that I do not "travel well" or swim as well indoors as out. I loved Clovis and Mesa - not so keen on Indy or ATL. Did like Austin, though...

So unless the SO persuades us to go, I will be looking for a taper meet on the Left Coast in April - maybe something in Federal Way if possible, and otherwise Pacific Champs down Roque's way.

orca1946
May 3rd, 2011, 04:50 PM
If I go - I will miss the warm sun & outside pools.

pwb
May 3rd, 2011, 07:12 PM
...it's time to turn our attention (or at least mine) to Greensboro, NC...Who is going?I am there for sure. Unlike Jamie Cuervo, I like a "train outdoors / race indoors" approach for peak performance.

Plus, just like you, Paul, I had this thought about 2012 ...

jaadams1
May 3rd, 2011, 07:20 PM
I am there for sure. Unlike Jamie Cuervo, I like a "train outdoors / race indoors" approach for peak performance.

I like the indoor competition as well...less "other" variables out there like the wind/rain/snow/sun to worry about. The open space is nice to have though, that is a positive of the outdoor environment.

Allen Stark
May 3rd, 2011, 11:08 PM

I know that this is the Spring Nationals thread,but what about turning your/our attention to Summer Nationals at Auburn.LCM we get to swim without having to turn every time we get our rhythm going(to those who think this is a good argument for open water I'd agree if they had an OW 100 BR.)

pwolf66
May 4th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I know that this is the Spring Nationals thread,but what about turning your/our attention to Summer Nationals at Auburn.LCM we get to swim without having to turn every time we get our rhythm going(to those who think this is a good argument for open water I'd agree if they had an OW 100 BR.)

Well, Allen, as much as I would like to agree with you, I just can't :D

You are welcome to start a thread concerning 2011 Summer Nationals, just don't try to hijack mine :bliss:

2trax4me
May 10th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I will see what the future holds in store, would like to make it. I do have family a few hours away from the meet so the Wife might want to make the trip.

Freight Train
May 10th, 2011, 12:41 PM
we have some swimmers looking forward to it. we had a blast in MESA! thinking about a trip to OBX after the meet....

Speedo
May 27th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Greensboro Aquatic Center website. You can even get a live stream of the construction- very cool:
http://www.greensboroaquaticcenter.com/about

orca1946
May 28th, 2011, 03:12 PM
It's cool to watch it!

gdanner
June 13th, 2011, 10:56 PM
I am planning on going to this meet. Hoping to help organize a strong pull from our LMSC as well.

Brian Stack
June 14th, 2011, 06:49 PM
So unless the SO persuades us to go, I will be looking for a taper meet on the Left Coast in April - maybe something in Federal Way if possible, and otherwise Pacific Champs down Roque's way.

Nice of you to make us your last alternate! That's OK we'll welcome you anyway. :D

qbrain
June 14th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Will Greensboro be run widths or with bulkheads?

JimRude
June 14th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Nice of you to make us your last alternate! That's OK we'll welcome you anyway. :D

I actually keep looking for opportunities to swim in the Bay Area, but since 2007/08 schedule conflicts have always come up...

Brian Stack
June 15th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I actually keep looking for opportunities to swim in the Bay Area, but since 2007/08 schedule conflicts have always come up...

We're going to need your schedule a bit earlier then, so we can make sure you can attend!

jroddin
June 15th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Will Greensboro be run widths or with bulkheads?

They can run widths (two 10 lane courses) or bulkheads (two 8 lane courses). That decision won't be made until after the entry deadline. If the meet is small, I'm sure we'll run bulkheads (wider lanes). Otherwise we'll run widths.

jaadams1
June 15th, 2011, 07:38 PM
They can run widths (two 10 lane courses) or bulkheads (two 8 lane courses). That decision won't be made until after the entry deadline. If the meet is small, I'm sure we'll run bulkheads (wider lanes). Otherwise we'll run widths.

I'm sure with the meet on the east coast (where 80% of the swimmers are in 20% of the states), the meet will probably be pretty heavily attended, I would guess.

pwb
June 15th, 2011, 07:57 PM
They can run widths (two 10 lane courses) or bulkheads (two 8 lane courses). That decision won't be made until after the entry deadline. If the meet is small, I'm sure we'll run bulkheads (wider lanes). Otherwise we'll run widths.I'm all for a big turnout so we can turn on real walls.

However, I like the sneaky approach of waiting to determine the course layout until the entries are closed ... surely this will mess with the minds of those who try to strategize their entry times for optimal lane positioning. :bolt:

jaadams1
June 15th, 2011, 08:38 PM
surely this will mess with the minds of those who try to strategize their entry times for optimal lane positioning. :bolt:

If you want the middle lane, just enter the 50 Free with a 14.22 or something. The directors probably wouldn't catch a severly reverse sandbagged time like that! :D

orca1946
June 23rd, 2011, 07:01 PM
:doh::drowning: or just enter with a N. T. and be a real jerk !!:2cents:

qbrain
June 24th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I'm all for a big turnout so we can turn on real walls.

I'm with you.

Dear Greensboro, bulkheads suck, please run widths.

Speedo
June 24th, 2011, 11:26 AM
I'm with you.

Dear Greensboro, bulkheads suck, please run widths. +1,000,001

aquageek
June 24th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I vote for bulkheads just so I can hear even more whining by the sprinters. That never gets old, never.

Speedo
June 24th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I vote for bulkheads just so I can hear even more whining by the sprinters. That never gets old, never.Good idea- your BFF lap counters can get cozy with each other.

aquageek
June 24th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Good idea- your BFF lap counters can get cozy with each other.

Is this your offer to count for me on Thursday? Thanks, BFF.

Speedo
June 24th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Is this your offer to count for me on Thursday? Thanks, BFF.I may be too busy measuring the depth of my lanes, or calculating the BMI of the competitors in my heat. But if that ends up to my liking, I'll take you up on that.

pwolf66
June 24th, 2011, 09:03 PM
I vote for bulkheads just so I can hear even more whining by the sprinters. That never gets old, never.

Ah distance swimmers, if you can't get the turn right once, swim distance, you have plenty of opportunities to achieve mediocrity.

slowcat
August 18th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Reposting from another thread...

Twitter site:
http://twitter.com/USMSGreensboro (http://twitter.com/USMSGreensboro)

Greensboro Aquatic Center website:
http://greensboroaquaticcenter.com/

guppy
August 20th, 2011, 09:01 PM
However, I like the sneaky approach of waiting to determine the course layout until the entries are closed ... surely this will mess with the minds of those who try to strategize their entry times for optimal lane positioning. :bolt:[/QUOTE]

My gosh, do people really do that?

slowcat
August 26th, 2011, 09:53 AM
GAC ribbon cutting last night. Great facility.

A few pictures...
http://yfrog.com/kkvghdmj
http://yfrog.com/h7wtdxpj
http://yfrog.com/kh78lcgj
http://yfrog.com/kfsm7pcj

slowcat
September 9th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Meet flyer:
http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats12/flyer.pdf

Hotel booking information:
https://secure2.visitgreensboro.com/usms/index.php?act=Step1

slowcat
September 12th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Greensboro Aquatic Center video from opening weekend:
Greensboro Aquatics Center Loop Video on Vimeo

slowcat
October 3rd, 2011, 02:13 PM
Qualifying times:

http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats12/nqt.pdf

slowcat
October 3rd, 2011, 02:21 PM
The only problem I have with meets running widths, like at GMU, the the opposite wall is usually slick. If there are touchpads at both walls, problem solved.

If the non-starting is is a slick wall, then I vote for bulkheads.

The walls are small tiles, so they aren't really "slick".

The bulkheads are the sandpapery granulated type, so those are even less slick than the walls.

Jon Dubrick
October 10th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I cant wait....Ive been usuing 2011 long course and short course meters season to train and qualify for Spring Natl's. Im also in that frikin 40-44 group and Im on the bottom quarter when it comes to times, but I have only been swimming a year and Im only a little off qualifying for 50 and 100. but if I dont Im sure as hell going anyway.

Jon Dubrick
October 10th, 2011, 07:07 PM
slowcat........thanks for posting times and brining me back to reality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....LOL but I am still going.

orca1946
October 24th, 2011, 06:56 PM
I'll be close to Q times again this next year!

slowcat
November 7th, 2011, 04:04 PM
The men's and women's ACC swimming & diving championships are going to be held in the Greensboro Aquatic Center in 2013, 2014, and 2016.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2011/11/07/article/aquatic_center_lands_acc_swim_dive_championships

Ex-distance guy
November 16th, 2011, 03:49 PM
What are the guidelines or rules for swimming a Masters Nats qualifying time? I will not have a chance to visit any USMS sanction meets before April '12, but would go if there is there anyway to swim an "official time" not in a USMS meet?

Ex-distance guy
November 16th, 2011, 04:07 PM
What are the guidelines or rules for swimming a Masters Nats qualifying time? I will not have a chance to visit any USMS sanction meets before April '12, but would go if there is there anyway to swim an "official time" not in a USMS meet?
Qualifying for Nationals - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums
herp derp.
Is there a way to "no bump" threads on this forum?

That Guy
November 16th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Qualifying for Nationals - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums (http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=13780)
herp derp.
Is there a way to "no bump" threads on this forum?

I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response.

Ex-distance guy
November 16th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Is there a way to non-bump threads on this forum? simple question...
I spend too much time popping in and out, need to pay more attention I guess.
Anyways, this is good news, it will give me a goal, a meet to work for. April is good timing for me, I have never been to a US masters meet and would like to try one. Plus the GAC seems so nice!

ElaineK
November 16th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response. I will not post a snarky response.

That Guy, you have too much time on your hands... :D

orca1946
November 17th, 2011, 07:11 PM
To ex - distance , times generally need to be from the last 2 years of swimming in meets. The honor system is in place if you can't find a Q time on the meet sheets that you have done.

jaadams1
November 17th, 2011, 07:21 PM
To ex - distance , times generally need to be from the last 2 years of swimming in meets. The honor system is in place if you can't find a Q time on the meet sheets that you have done.

That's what it says of course...but how many people enter times or events they've either never done, or faster than they've done (to make the q-time)??

Allen Stark
November 17th, 2011, 07:45 PM
That's what it says of course...but how many people enter times or events they've either never done, or faster than they've done (to make the q-time)??

I doubt very many.People seem to rarely enter faster times than they can do(as opposed to sandbagging).Also of course you can enter 3 events at Nats without any qualifying.

Ex-distance guy
November 17th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I doubt very many.People seem to rarely enter faster times than they can do(as opposed to sandbagging).Also of course you can enter 3 events at Nats without any qualifying.

I can enter 3 events period, regardless of time right:bliss:?. Its the only Nat'nl lvl invitational I know of :) . But I doubt the http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats12/nqt.pdf will be a problem if I continue consistently (ande's SFF tip 53 Accountability; tip 54 Show up!) getting in the water (now 9-12)hrs a week, hopefully more soon the next 4+months.
During 2003-2006 my 3 'best' events in SCY:
200fr- 1:41
200bk-1:53
400im-4:08
In reality I do not know if I could reach these times again, but I will try. I am now a little longer, stronger, and a lot wiser...but completely/totally/110% out of shape yet still good things are happening(the belly and man-**** are starting to disappear....). Lately I've been swimming for the first time since '06, and am having a blast. I am now "taking in" so much more from this sport as an adult. I hope I could reach US masters Nat times by April; if not, I guess I need to hit the pool more :D

Speedo
November 18th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Its the only Nat'nl lvl invitational I know of :) .And also one of the largest, friendliest, and fastest invitationals you'll find.

pwb
November 18th, 2011, 02:30 PM
During 2003-2006 my 3 'best' events in SCY:
200fr- 1:41
200bk-1:53
400im-4:08
Dude, those are fast:applaud:. Please tell me you're less than 45 years old:bolt:.

jaadams1
November 18th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Dude, those are fast:applaud:. Please tell me you're less than 45 years old:bolt:.

I'm assuming that he's about 25 or so, based on the 2003-2006 dates, which I assume would be college years, but if they're high school year, then he's even younger. Either of those groups though won't overlap with me...so all is good!! :)

Ex-distance guy
November 18th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I am 25. You guys are safe, at the moment I have no idea what i'm capable of, It's only week 4 and I don't feel ready to swim anything at race pace yet. (i'm a good 10 lbs lighter(muscle loss) than I was at 19 anyway; I still have a long long way to go. I just hope I can throw down the yards and fight the aging process when I hit 50+ like so many US masters...

pwb
November 19th, 2011, 12:00 AM
I am 25. You guys are safe...I just hope I can throw down the yards and fight the aging process when I hit 50+ like so many US masters...Do it. You're already starting back at it earlier than many of us did. Enjoy it and have fun. Play around with different events, different workout styles, different teams, etc. Try to get faster, but don't get hung up on getting back to those times from college.

Ex-distance guy
November 19th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Do it. You're already starting back at it earlier than many of us did. Enjoy it and have fun. Play around with different events, different workout styles, different teams, etc. Try to get faster, but don't get hung up on getting back to those times from college.

and I agree this avatar of yours!

jroddin
November 21st, 2011, 02:34 PM

I realize this question has mostly been answered, but below is a cut and paste of an "NQT FAQ" in case it helps. I'll see about getting this posted on the Nationals page of the USMS website so it is easier to find.

1. What are NQTs?
National Qualifying Times (NQTs) are time standards that a swimmer must meet in order to be permitted to swim more than three events at US Masters Swimming national championship meets.

2. How are they determined?
Under section 104.5.3.C of the Rule Book, the Championship Committee with the approval of the House of Delegates shall determine the procedure for determining the qualification time.
Currently SCY times are calculated as follows: 10th place + 15% for sprints and 10th place + 10% for events 200 yards and up (with the average of the last 3 years). LCM times are calculated as follows: 5th place + 15% for all events. Note we use the USMS Top Ten times, not 5th and 10th place from Nationals, and we use a rolling three year average. For SCY, if there are no 10th place times in at least two of the previous three years, we use 5th + 20% for sprints and 5th + 15% for 200+ events. If there are no 5th place times in at least two of the previous three years, there is No Time for that event. There are No Times for all events in all age groups over 85.
Past computation methods do not necessarily reflect future computations. Moreover, upon request by a meet host or if the Championship Committee deems it necessary, the formula can be changed for any particular meet.

3. Where can I swim my times, e.g. does it have to be a USMS meet?
Can a USA-S meet, a non-sanctioned meet, or a time from my coach during workout count as achieving the NQT? It does not have to be swum at a US Masters Swimming sanctioned meet. It can be swum at a USA-S meet, a YMCA meet, or during a time trial or in a workout with your coach.

4. Are NQTs used at every national meet?
National Qualifying Times have been used at every National Championships since they were instituted. Per Rule 104.5.3 C There shall be qualifying time for national championship meets unless otherwise determined by the Championship Committee.

5. Why are NQTs used?
USMS has always been an organization focused on inclusion. Swimmers of all abilities, from beginners to Olympians, are welcome to join and participate in meets. Back in the early days of Masters Nationals, there were no qualifying times. Anyone could enter and swim at Nationals.

As USMS grew, so did the two annual national championship meets. 1987 saw the largest SCY Nationals ever, with 2328 swimmers attending. At this point, there were still no qualifying times.

The next few years saw good attendance at Nationals. But allowing anyone to enter meant that the meet days dragged on into the evening. There were events starting at 11:00pm.

The next year the House of Delegates instituted National Qualifying Times. The current system of qualifying times was the compromise. The system works as follows:

ANYONE can enter Nationals, and enter up to three individual events, without meeting any qualifying times.

Swimmers who want to enter more than three individual events must meet qualifying times for those additional events.

The rationale behind these two rules is that we can still allow anyone to enter the meet, but by limiting the number of events swum by the slower swimmers, we can control the length of the meet days.

This system only works as long as everyone is honest. Beyond the first three events, swimmers are on the honor system when they enter the meet. USMS is relying on swimmers to be confident that they can actually achieve the qualifying times.

The first National Championships that used the NQTs was 1993 USMS Short Course Nationals that were held at Santa Clara, California.

6. What if I swim a time at altitude close to the NQT but slightly slower? Does that make a difference?
Yes!! Time achieved at an altitude of 3,000 or higher may be adjusted. The formula for altitude adjustment is in the rule book at 104.5.3(1).

7. What happens if I have made the NQT but swim slower than the NQT at nationals?
For US Masters Swimming National Championships, you will get a time even if you swim slower than the NQT. For FINA World Championships, if you do not swim as fast or faster than the Qualifying times, you will not get a time. This is a major difference between World Championships and our National Championships.

8. What if I dont have a time in the course for nationals, e.g. I swam a short course yards time but do not have a meters time?
You can covert your time from one course to another, however, you have to do the conversion yourself. One conversion table can be found at www.swiminfo.com (Tools Tech Tips), however, you may use any converter you wish.

9. My LMSC does not always send in the meet results to the USMS national database. Is this a problem?
The rule is that you have swum the event at the national qualifying time or faster at some time in the past two years. You do not have to swim the event in a reported meet to the USMS national database. You could have swum the meet at a USA Swimming meet, a YMCA meet, a practice meet or in practice, but you should have swum the event.

10. If I achieve a time in one age group, can I use that time in the next age group when I age up?
The NQT is that you have swum the event at the qualifying time within the last two years. There is no requirement on age group (although the older the age group, usually the slower the NQT).

11. I have no NQTs and would like to swim more than three events. I am really close to one or two NQTs - can I still swim those extra events?
NO! This is the honor system. If you did not swim the NQT or faster, then you did not make the NQT.

Ex-distance guy
November 22nd, 2011, 01:52 AM
I realize this question has mostly been answered, but below is a cut and paste of an "NQT FAQ" in case it helps. I'll see about getting this posted on the Nationals page of the USMS website so it is easier to find.

Thank you for the details. I should know by mid-feb if i'm ready to compete/race at USM Nats. I feel like this is rushing it though, I am so thoroughly out of whack still...I cannot make a prediction

ElaineK
November 22nd, 2011, 05:55 PM
Thank you for the details. I should know by mid-feb if i'm ready to compete/race at USM Nats. I feel like this is rushing it though, I am so thoroughly out of whack still...I cannot make a prediction

I would encourage you to just go for it! :cheerleader: I joined USMS in February, 2010, and went to Spring Nationals, 2 months later. I was almost the slowest swimmer in my age group and felt completely intimidated, but I soon learned that was wasted mental energy. NOBODY CARED how slow I swam. Instead, I got so much encouragement from the Forumites I met there and ended up having a blast. It was so much fun!

Just go with the attitude that you are going to have fun, meet people, and just soak in the positive atmosphere all around you. I'll be there to cheer you on and I bet other Forumites will be, as well. :agree:

orca1946
December 1st, 2011, 05:53 PM
I agree with ElaineK - go & have fun :banana::applaud:, it takes some of the pressure off.:chillpill:

qbrain
December 12th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Has the widths vs bulk heads question been answered somewhere yet?

slowcat
December 12th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Greensboro Aquatic Center director Susan Braman discusses the facility and the early success the venue has had so far.

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/MorningSwimShow/28977.asp?q=The-Morning-Swim-Show%2C-Dec.-5%2C-2011%3A-Susan-Braman-Talks-About-Early-Success-of-Greensboro-Aquatic-Center

jroddin
December 14th, 2011, 10:44 AM

To expand upon my earlier post...

...the entry deadline will be March 23. Seeding decisions are expected to be made by April 13. Seeding decisions will include which courses will be used.

Jeff Roddin

aquageek
December 14th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I was at a meet this past weekend and hear they will be running two 11 lane courses at Greensboro. Is that true?

jroddin
December 14th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I was at a meet this past weekend and hear they will be running two 11 lane courses at Greensboro. Is that true?

That is partially correct. I'll put more info out soon. But FYI the full meet announcement which will outline all facets of the meet and the entry form will come out in the January/February issue of SWIMMER magazine. I understand the issue is at the printer now being prepped for an on time delivery (first week in January). Except of course for AZTIMM. His won't arrive until after Nationals is over.

aquageek
December 14th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Except of course for AZTIMM. His won't arrive until after Nationals is over.

Comedy gold right there!

Burn.

Just keep in mind that for every lane you add you increase the bellyaching and whining by the sprinters as the time line gets reduced.

Speedo
December 14th, 2011, 04:11 PM
http://h20swimfast.blogspot.com/ Um, what is this.

That Guy
December 14th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Um, what is this.

Execute order 66.

jaadams1
December 14th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Um, what is this.

That's the set...must get it done this time. :applaud:

qbrain
December 15th, 2011, 11:08 AM

...the entry deadline will be March 23. Seeding decisions are expected to be made by April 13. Seeding decisions will include which courses will be used.

That is partially correct.

Did the answer change in the hour between when you answered me and answered Geek? How can running the meet with two 11 lane courses be partially correct?

aquageek
December 15th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Did the answer change in the hour between when you answered me and answered Geek? How can running the meet with two 11 lane courses be partially correct?

My guess is some events will use 11 lanes (i.e. - 1000 and 1650) allowing for people to enter both. That's just my guess.

jroddin
December 15th, 2011, 12:46 PM
My guess is some events will use 11 lanes (i.e. - 1000 and 1650) allowing for people to enter both. That's just my guess.

My comment about 10 lanes was a direct cut and paste from a June 15 post of mine. Sorry for the confusion. You asked if the decision had been made so I was simply reminding people that the decision wasn't going to be made until entries closed.

Geek is smarter than he looks :D Yes, the current plan is 11 lanes for the distance day and then 8 or 10 lanes for the other days. I still plan to write all of this out but just haven't had the time. Thanks for your patience.

Jeff

aquageek
December 15th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Geek is smart

Book it, nerds!

The Fortress
December 15th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Um, what is this.

I subscribed. I know it won't have any bellyaching and whining, but I expect some comedy gold. Or else Little Devil has to take back the "Geek is smart" comment.

Oh, and obviously 8 lanes is better to avoid bare walls. :-)

tjrpatt
December 16th, 2011, 07:18 PM
11 lanes is just so unnatural!

jaadams1
December 16th, 2011, 07:21 PM
11 lanes is just so unnatural!

Other "unnatural" pools that I've seen:

Mount Hood Community College Gresham, Oregon 50 Meter pool, 9 lanes

Pasco, Washington has a 50 Meter pool with 7 lanes

jroddin
December 20th, 2011, 04:33 PM
I am posting to answer some of the questions about the 2012 Spring Nationals competition courses in Greensboro. It is anticipated we will use two side by side 11 lane courses for the distance day (Thursday). The 50m pool is 24 lanes wide and two bulkheads will separate the two courses (the two bulkheads take up 2 lanes in the middle). Then on Friday-Saturday-Sunday we will use two 10 lane courses (very outside lane from each course will be vacant). We can consider running two 8 lane courses (two lengthwise courses like we did in Atlanta) if entries are lower than anticipated (i.e. the projected timeline with 8 lane courses is manageable). So unless Fortress enters the 1000 or 1650, she cannot get a wall lane!

USMS Championship Committee policy is to only allow swimmers to enter both distance events (800/1000 and 1500/1650) if one of two criteria is met: there is an available third course (or an available second course for long course), or the meet is a 5 day format (when 2009-Indy had a 5 day format the extra day was for the distance relays so that took the place of the individual distance event double option). We realize it is not ideal to swim both of the distance events on the same day, but with a 4 day format its the only viable option (five day format can allow the distance events to be on separate days). Clovis (2009) offered both distance events because they had an available third course. However, entries were low enough that they only needed to utilize two of those courses but the key factor was they had a third course if needed. To my knowledge before Clovis you had to go back to Fort Lauderdale (1995) for the next time swimmers could enter both distance events at short course Nationals. For Summer Nationals, Mission Viejo (2005) had a 5 day format and allowed both distance events. In 2013 they will offer a 5 day format and will again offer the option to swim both distance events (on separate days).

The good news because of the unique opportunity to offer 22 lanes of competition in Greensboro, 2012 Spring Nationals will offer the opportunity for swimmers to enter both distance events on Thursday (provided you meet the NQT in at least one of them). We feel that the extra lanes are almost equivalent to an extra competition course and as such the extra entries can be accommodated (fingers crossed!). The full meet information will come out in the January/February issue of SWIMMER and also be released to the USMS website on or about January 1. But I thought it would be nice to put a little something under the tree for the distance swimmers now since it is official.

Jeff

pwb
December 22nd, 2011, 10:57 AM
The good news because of the unique opportunity to offer 22 lanes of competition in Greensboro, 2012 Spring Nationals will offer the opportunity for swimmers to enter both distance events on ThursdayThanks, Jeff. The folks at GAC clearly have built a great facility and we appreciate this approach. This is sound progress for the hitherto discriminated distance swimmers. Geek is going to send you all kinds of love.

aquageek
December 23rd, 2011, 06:23 PM
Geek is going to send you all kinds of love.

I don't think I have a 1000 and a 1650 in me on the same day.

tjrpatt
December 23rd, 2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks, Jeff. The folks at GAC clearly have built a great facility and we appreciate this approach. This is sound progress for the hitherto discriminated distance swimmers. Geek is going to send you all kinds of love.

Now, we just did a distance day on the weekend day. Distance swimmers always have to take a day off from work to do their "core" events. I understand that more people swim the sprints. Yeah! Yeah!

qbrain
December 23rd, 2011, 08:52 PM
I don't think I have a 1000 and a 1650 in me on the same day.

Is that a training problem, attitude problem or both?

jaadams1
December 24th, 2011, 01:18 AM
Is that a training problem, attitude problem or both?

:worms:

Ooooooo :popcorn: The suspense...

michaelreed77
January 2nd, 2012, 12:53 PM
Is the men's 500 on Sunday or Saturday? One online source indicated Saturday, but the meet registration form in Swimmer listed it as Sunday, with the womens' 500 on Saturday. Please confirm. Thanks!

Sandi Rousseau
January 2nd, 2012, 01:40 PM
The womens' 500 in Greensboro is on Saturday and the men's 500 is on Sunday. The order of events is now correct on the web.

orca1946
January 7th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I just looked up q times & I make it in on 7 events !!:applaud::banana:1
I just need to get rid of a few body problems I am dealing with!:cane::badday:

jessman131
January 11th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Where is the entry form for the meet I can not find it? I want to go as I qualify for every event except 3 and the relays. HELP!!!!

swimmieAvsFan
January 11th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Where is the entry form for the meet I can not find it? I want to go as I qualify for every event except 3 and the relays. HELP!!!!

Dude, slow down with the cut and paste on every thread that talks about 2012 SCY nats. Our lovely webmaster will get the page up and running by Feb. 1st, as he's mentioned on other threads. Promise he will, he's never forgotten to do it before.

jessman131
January 11th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Sorry I am just very anal about dates and deadlines if something says a specific date and its not there when the date arrives I start to flip out a little because my schedule is so tight with trainning and other life activities I need to plan everything way in advanced.

Plus I don't want my events to fill up as I plan on doing a lot of them. 1000 1650 500 200 100 50FR 100IM 100FL and maybe more.

swimmieAvsFan
January 11th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Sorry I am just very anal about dates and deadlines if something says a specific date and its not there when the date arrives I start to flip out a little because my schedule is so tight with trainning and other life activities I need to plan everything way in advanced.

Plus I don't want my events to fill up as I plan on doing a lot of them. 1000 1650 500 200 100 50FR 100IM 100FL and maybe more.

There are 3 weeks till the absolute last day Jim said the entry page would be ready.
The entry deadline will be some time in March.
There is no cap on entries in each event.
And you can only do 6 events- no matter how many you qualified for or want to do.

Oh, and breathe- this is supposed to be fun.

jroddin
January 11th, 2012, 03:45 PM

The actual entry form is available here:
http://www.usmsswimmer.com/201201/springnats2012preview.pdf

The online entry system will be available no later than Feb 1.

Jeff Roddin

orca1946
January 14th, 2012, 02:35 PM
After looking up my age & Q times, I have noted that they are faster than last year. I'm older & now I need to go faster????? This could be a poor fly in the ointment!!

slowcat
April 22nd, 2012, 11:28 AM
A reminder to connect to the Twitter and Facebook pages for the meet.

http://twitter.com/USMSGreensboro (http://twitter.com/USMSGreensboro)

http://www.facebook.com/2012USMSGreensboro